• Register Today It's free!

2004 Ford Explorer PCM ISSUE

missywuz

Reaction score
City, State
New Haven, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer V8
hi, i have a 2004 Ford Explorer V8 and was told by a mechanic that the computer was bad and they couldnt read the codes to diagnose any issues..the issue was it was bucking while driving causing us to think it was the transmission (which was just changed in Feb) so we took it back to the transmission place and they said it was the PCM.
We got a new PCM and now the car wont start with the new computer. when we turn the key (we have tried both keys) everything goes on horn, heat blowers, flashing red theft light, all check engine lights, car lights etc but the car wont start....
Any ideas? we are pretty strapped for cash so we are trying to do this ourselves.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I'm not mistaken your supposed to get the Keys programmed again when you get a new computer.

If I'm not mistaken your supposed to get the Keys programmed again when you get a new computer.

This must be so. The original keys are recognized by the original computer; a new computer will be unable to do so. Getting this done may be one of the Ford "secrets" we wish we knew more about..... imp

PCM replacement requires downloading info from the original pcm to new one and 2 keys to get it started. They were definitely bull shi**ing you. 2004 is can network thats why they couldnt get the codes.

ok thanks for the info. i also got a private message that a locksmith can do this for you so you dont have to go to a FORD dealer? is that true? anyone know?
i really appreciate all the feedback.

You will need the ford scanner to program the 2 keys to the new pcm. Also how many miles were on your Explorer? PCM's are covered for 8 years or 80K miles.

You will need the ford scanner to program the 2 keys to the new pcm. Also how many miles were on your Explorer? PCM's are covered for 8 years or 80K miles.

are you kidding? so if i have 76000 miles on my explorer any ford dealership will replace the PCM? does that warranty go for any ford owner regardless of whether it was previously owned or not?? please explain more...

Yes it is covered by Ford for any owner thru the 8 year 80K mile coverage but Ford must diagnose that it needs a pcm. You will need to take it to the dealer.

I bet you that shop used a older scanner that isnt "CAN" compatable.

Happened with my older actron scanner (orange one that is popular) just said " unable to link" or something like that. Got a "can" scanner and able to read the computer.

Good luck. . ..

What is the pcm?

2 years later, you ask this! Think anyone's looking?

"PCM": ECC (Electronic Engine Control); Please Call Me; Probably Cost Megabucks:::::

It's the latest callout for the computer module that runs the engine.

imp

What is the pcm?
The ford explorer engine control module is responsible to maintain a perfect combination of air to fuel ratio and to maintain constant communication with he other modules in the car such as the body control module, the transmission control module if your vehicle’s ECM is not an actual ECU.

The ford explorer engine control module is responsible to maintain a perfect combination of air to fuel ratio and to maintain constant communication with he other modules in the car such as the body control module, the transmission control module if your vehicle’s ECM is not an actual ECU.
Had tons of PCM and PATS issues, sent the PCM to a speed shop in FL, deleted the PATS requirement, PCM and truck work perfectly

Back