Multiple suspension noises | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

Where are the ford service reps at that usually cruise these forums so we can get this escalated?

I have documentation i can submit to them from my dealer showing i complained about the noise and they told me there was "nothing wrong"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where are the ford service reps at that usually cruise these forums so we can get this escalated?

I have documentation i can submit to them from my dealer showing i complained about the noise and they told me there was "nothing wrong"
If the noise, or noises can be heard...then certainly is something wrong. As in my case, knowing that we will likely get the same answer, I am not going to be messing around, and will be building the "time, usage and attempts to repair" requirements to satisfy a legal buyback...even if there needs to be multiple dealers involved. Certainly not going to be satisfied unless they 1. Solve the nose issue, or 2. Buy it back.

For the amount of money involved, which by the way cost more than my first house in 1989, being sluffed off with some verbal BS is certainly not in my purview. Fortunately, being semi-retired I have all the time in the world to play this game.....

The reps have not been on any forums for several years.

Obviously another 'cost saving' measure. :0

Frankly they didnt do anything. Yes they had a presence here and yes they talked all sweet and nice to us... and pretended to be apologetic and understanding but all they actually were was ticket loggers. You could get the same thing by calling up customer service and opening up a case.

Bummer to read this. Our ST we ordered could come as soon as today. I've known all along that there's more risk buying the first models of a new platform but I've been waiting for this one for a couple years of researching all our options. On paper it seems to check off all the boxes we want as an SUV that has enough room for us and our two children but also tons of fun power and sporty handling. There's not much else in its class that checks those boxes.

But I'm worried driving off the lot into unknown problems like this or others. I'll do a very deliberate test drive to try and identify any issues before finalizing. Still won't prevent problems creeping up after a few weeks or months. Trying to feel excited about the purchase but now quite worried.

The VIN number ends in "88020". Does that mean number 88,020? As in 88,019 other ones were built before this one? That might bode well for some of the "teething pain" issues getting ironed out by the time this one was built. ? I can only hope.

I’m taking my ST back in for a second time regarding this clunking noise. It’s driving us absolutely nuts. They’ve already had it up on a lift and went through the front underside only to find nothing loose or rattling. We just went through the buyback process with a 2019 Traverse (transmission failure, brake system failure twice, and ECM failure in 9 months). I really hope we aren’t going down that path again. Thankfully this seems much less serious than having your transmission and brakes fail!

Bummer to read this. Our ST we ordered could come as soon as today. I've known all along that there's more risk buying the first models of a new platform but I've been waiting for this one for a couple years of researching all our options. On paper it seems to check off all the boxes we want as an SUV that has enough room for us and our two children but also tons of fun power and sporty handling. There's not much else in its class that checks those boxes.

But I'm worried driving off the lot into unknown problems like this or others. I'll do a very deliberate test drive to try and identify any issues before finalizing. Still won't prevent problems creeping up after a few weeks or months. Trying to feel excited about the purchase but now quite worried.

The VIN number ends in "88020". Does that mean number 88,020? As in 88,019 other ones were built before this one? That might bode well for some of the "teething pain" issues getting ironed out by the time this one was built. ? I can only hope.

No it does not as they do not roll down in order but you would easily be talking 80k before you.

No it does not as they do not roll down in order but you would easily be talking 80k before you.
Hope this helps the VIN decoding question a bot. Ours has a VIN ending in LGA 04XXX and the date on its sticker is 06-18-19. I checked the VIN's on some other local units in our area and there is one with a VIN of LGA 55XXX and a sticker date of 08-15-19. Seems like the series indexed 51,000 although I dont know if that equates physically to 51,000 actual vehicles. Anyone know how they index the VIN #'s, do they index by 1 or 10?

The newest VIN I could find I located on a dealer lot and has a VIN ending in LGA 767XX and has a sticker date of 09-05-19.

So...ours is 4,x.. and the series is at least up to 76,7XX as of an 09-05 build date. Seems like the one we have was one of the first ones off the line in June, and it had 200 miles on the clock when purchased. It now has 313 miles and has been in the shop, this being the start of week #2 with the rattle coming from the front suspension.....

Oh what fun.....

Mine, nor the one I test drove, both earlier july builds, made any suspension noises.
I highly doubt its anything other than a vendor or assy issue which should be resolved.....how and when is a function of the service dept you're using. Imo.

Question....a lot of ST owners are hearing clunking and poping from the brakes especially when applied hard...soooooo....do you guys have the upgraded bigger brake package (w/red calipers) or just the standard brake package, which I assume is the same as the platinum. For the short time (3 days) that we had the Platinum, there were no noises from brake applications, but only that subtle rattle from the front end.....

Mine, nor the one I test drove, both earlier july builds, made any suspension noises.
I highly doubt its anything other than a vendor or assy issue which should be resolved.....how and when is a function of the service dept you're using. Imo.

This issue will be fixed if other Explorers do not have this clunking noise coming from suspension.

Cant say I have had a "clunking" noise on mine. Maybe someone can try to post some video and record the noises.

Just closed out repair ticket #1, and opened repair ticket #2 for the same suspension noises. If not fixed by attempt #3....have an attorney retained as I am not dealing with the haggling. They can just keep it and send me a cheque whenever....

OK...some updates on our 2020 Explorer Platinum with suspension noises. Well, the latest "story" I got was a problematic front torsion bar bushing. Obviously, this implies a manufacturing problem with said bushings now? Its not exactly that technical to make a bushing I don't believe. So now, I have been advised that "it might be ready tomorrow...". Once again, we will have them close out repair ticket #2...go for a quick spin around the parking lot to test it. If the noise is completely gone...fair enough, we will settle it there. If not, its staying at the dealership and we will start repair ticket #3 which will be their last chance to fix it. From there, its Lemon-Law lawyer time as we don't have the time or the patience to deal with the BS that will come next. Its going into its third week at the dealership, and we had it a total of three days (of use). Somebody got some splanin' to do at FORD for this 2020 Explorer Launch....and rightly so, if only I had known before hand, I would have avoided this Explorer redeaux like the bloody plague! One thing I can say, there wont be another one in our driveway.

Mine has been in shop for six weeks. Dealer said ford is sending updated struts and strut mounts. Hopefully that solves problem. Good luck with yours.

ST have different struts and mounts vs. Platinum I wonder?

I heard the same clunking noise that you did. At least, based on your description, it sounds like the same issue. Mine was towards the front driver under side of the vehicle. I took mine to the dealer and they found a loose subframe bolt. It was a one-time use bolt, so they had to pull it, order another, and install it. The installation of the new bolt seems to fix the issue. I'm going to try and upload a picture of the report from the dealer.

IMG_20191023_145159.jpg

IMG_20191023_145159.jpg
I turned the photo around for you so it's easier to read

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a chronic issue during assembly if the machine attaching the sub-frame is causing the issue. Would like to think mine and others can be rectified with something so simple. Still an assembly quality issue non the the same. Roll on.....

Back