Multiple suspension noises | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

Welcome to the Forum Adam.:wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Adam.:wave:

Peter
Thanks - I appreciate the welcome!I just discovered these forums yesterday. I had a Forester before, and had been on those forums. I moved into a larger vehicle as my family has been growing (and the ST was really appealing).

Could be a chronic issue during assembly if the machine attaching the sub-frame is causing the issue. Would like to think mine and others can be rectified with something so simple. Still an assembly quality issue non the the same. Roll on.....

The other issue I had, aside from the clunking, was that the mute button on my steering wheel would only mute the stereo some of the time. It just worked really inconsistently. So they replaced those controls.

The other issue I thought I had, I say thought because the dealer told me it is working appropriately, is that when I would use remote start and I had last settings enabled (as opposed to Auto, which will heat or cool to 72), the Explorer would turn on my heated seats and heated steering wheel (or ventilated seats) even though those were not my last settings. The dealer told me that, even on last setting, the Explorer will still turn on heated or ventilated seats, even though I never use those. I find that odd, but who knows!

Have you checked your Manual to see if that is normal?

Peter

Have you checked your Manual to see if that is normal?

Peter
I have, but the manual is somewhat vague. It says that it enables the last climate control settings, and the dealer says that the heated/ventilated seats and heated steering wheel are not considered climate control settings (that climate is the vents and air temperature).

This is pretty much the only issue with mine is the clanking noise from the suspension at low speeds Maybe its a good idea to take it to the dealer. Maybe it is just 1 bolt or something that is loose...just like with the other forum member. ST has sports suspension, might be a different animal compared to Limited or Platinum.

I have, but the manual is somewhat vague. It says that it enables the last climate control settings, and the dealer says that the heated/ventilated seats and heated steering wheel are not considered climate control settings (that climate is the vents and air temperature).
I noticed your in Portland I recommend taking it into Landmark ford, my friend works there as a mechanic and he says they are top notch!

I noticed your in Portland I recommend taking it into Landmark ford, my friend works there as a mechanic and he says they are top notch!
Thanks! I appreciate that. I have heard great things about Landmark. I went to Damerow (which is where I bought my ST) and I was pretty happy with the service department. If I have issues, I will definitely consider Landmark.

The other issue I thought I had, I say thought because the dealer told me it is working appropriately, is that when I would use remote start and I had last settings enabled (as opposed to Auto, which will heat or cool to 72), the Explorer would turn on my heated seats and heated steering wheel (or ventilated seats) even though those were not my last settings. The dealer told me that, even on last setting, the Explorer will still turn on heated or ventilated seats, even though I never use those. I find that odd, but who knows!

I have the same thing going on, only when remote start (with last settings set) does it turn on only the drivers seat cooling. I have just learned to live with it but will ask the service dept next time i am in for service.

I have the same thing going on, only when remote start (with last settings set) does it turn on only the drivers seat cooling. I have just learned to live with it but will ask the service dept next time i am in for service.

Mine is only the driver's side too with "last settings" set. It will either turn the heated seat on and heated steering wheel (if it's coldish outside) or the ventilated seat (if it's warmish outside). I've been learning to leave with it too, but it still seems odd.

If you do talk to your service department, I would be very interested to hear what they tell you.

Multiple suspension noises is the only problem I have. This video of them test driving the ST in the city at low speeds on almost even surfaces is making the same clunking noise at 4:25, 11:45, and in more. High way or higher speeds I don't hear the clunking noise, but this is the noise that is making this clunking sound.

Just got my ST back after 7 weeks in the shop. Dealer replaced front struts and towers in effort to remedy the clunking noise. Did not work, clunk is still there. I will be dropping it back off in the a.m. and start over. Still awaiting claim from ford regarding buyback.

Multiple suspension noises is the only problem I have. This video of them test driving the ST in the city at low speeds on almost even surfaces is making the same clunking noise at 4:25, 11:45, and in more. High way or higher speeds I don't hear the clunking noise, but this is the noise that is making this clunking sound.

Must be me but I've watched both times now 7 times each and can't hear anything beyond the bump in the road at the 4:25 mark.

Just got my ST back after 7 weeks in the shop. Dealer replaced front struts and towers in effort to remedy the clunking noise. Did not work, clunk is still there. I will be dropping it back off in the a.m. and start over. Still awaiting claim from ford regarding buyback.

Do they have another ST on the lot? If so, did you take it out for a ride to see if it still does it?

Why is the dealer giving it back to you if it is still doing it? I'd think they would have test drove it to confirm if it is gone or not. Did you tell them about the bolt of the subframe that another member posted about that wasn't installed correctly and once they replaced it, it fixed the sound?

Do they have another ST on the lot? If so, did you take it out for a ride to see if it still does it?

Why is the dealer giving it back to you if it is still doing it? I'd think they would have test drove it to confirm if it is gone or not. Did you tell them about the bolt of the subframe that another member posted about that wasn't installed correctly and once they replaced it, it fixed the sound?
The dealer said it was hard to pinpoint the noise. They also said a couple other STs on the lot did the same thing. I will advise them about the bolt when I drop it off. Thx

I am thinking that this rattle is limited to 4WD variants, as it all seems to be platinum AWD and ST AWD. No complaints from 2WD peeps?

I am thinking that this rattle is limited to 4WD variants, as it all seems to be platinum AWD and ST AWD. No complaints from 2WD peeps?

I have a 2WD Limited and have not noticed any abnormal noises.

Anyone else with 2WD notice any front end suspension rattles, or anyone with an Aviator?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Must be me but I've watched both times now 7 times each and can't hear anything beyond the bump in the road at the 4:25 mark.

There is that "clunking noise" when the guy passes on the slightest of the bumps, you can clearly hear it at 6:20 when the guy turn left and there are some minor road bumps.

This clinking sound is not loud, but it is definitely there.

You can hear the subtle clunking noise at 9:20 and many other times.

Back