TPMS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS

bigdude2468

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XT
I purchased a set of four Ford OEM wheels (used) to be used for dedicated snow tires on our 2014 XLT. I need to buy four TPMS sensor's which I would like to get from Rock Auto. I am trying to identify which sensors I need. I searched using the vin # at Auto Nation WBL and it shows two different sensor's, one is 315 MKH and the other is 433 MKH, both the same price. Any way to determine which one I need?

Any way to determine which one I need?
Lots of ways.

You can ask online and get all kinds of responses - some of which may be correct and some that may not.

You can pick up your phone and call some local tire shops and ask them. I suggest calling at least 2 or 3 to confirm.

You can go by a local tire shop and ask them if they have a tpms tool that can scan your current sensors and tell you what they are.

You can look online for a tpms application guide and see what it says (maybe check 2 or 3 just to confirm same info - not a typo). Here's one to get you started -> https://www.intellisens.com/fileadm...ens/download/huf_dl_application_guide_usa.pdf

You can walk through your neighborhood and knock on doors and ask whoever opens the door and see what they say.

You can walk around your closest downtown area and ask random people on the street to see what they say.

You could also go OG or old school (not sure what kids these days prefer) and forego the sensors as people have done for many, many years before TPMS. Just check your tire pressures periodically.

I'm sure there are more, but I really have to use the bathroom, so I'll let someone else chime in.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 315 MHz frequency TPMS system is what you should be looking for. I believe the 433 MHz band is for Europe.

Here's the one I found on Rock Auto:

More Information for MOTORCRAFT TPMS12
@bigdude2468, that translates to 2009-2019 Ford Tire Pressure Sensor 9L3Z-1A189-A | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
FYI, the ones I had installed for my 2014 MKT showed as TPMS*12*Kit on the invoice.
Hope that helps.

Peter

Back