‘12 just serviced- noise on drive belt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

‘12 just serviced- noise on drive belt

Pwreng77

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT v6
Hello we just had our ‘12 XLT serviced for noise on drive belt- chattering visible on the belt tensioner. The belt tensioner was hitting the stop as if belt is too long or load too much worse when ac compressor engaged and power steering pump cycling.
The Service tech diagnostic check indicated balance pulley was in need of replacement. 74k miles on vehicle. It was in the shop for other reasons so we had this done too. Sounded good when hot at pickup.

Cold engine start this morning (80F) and chatter returned (though less significant.)

Any others experience this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Could the noise be rattling instead? There have been posts on that and the possibility of a stretched timing chain issue. Happens on 'cold' start.

Peter

I recently experienced this. If yours only does it when cold then disregard. This is just my experience with it and I don't know if it would help your situation or not. I was also getting a chatter at idle with it in gear only on hot days especially when waiting a long time in fast food drive thru etc... The belt tensioner was shaking pretty bad and bottoming out. I actually reached down and put my hand on it while the wife had it in gear and I grabbed hold of it to stabilize it and the chattering stopped. I started wondering if the belt was somehow stretching due to the high amount of heat with it being in the 90's outside plus sitting with it in gear at the drive thru for so long. This belt was a replacement off brand so I looked up the specs. It was only rated up to 140 deg. I didn't want to wait for my replacement heavy duty motorcraft belt to be delivered so I purchased a belt local that had a rating up to 212deg. No more chattering or bottoming out of the tensioner and I been in several situations since then that should have caused it. I still plan on putting the motorcraft in sooner or later.

Another note, when I had the belt off, I checked all pulleys and everything seemed just fine with them. I was worried it was something internal as Peter mentioned as a possibility. I was able to grab the tensioner with the front wheel off and splash ducting moved out of the way. Once I stopped the chattering by carefully grabbing hold of the tensioner I figured why not just try replacing the belt first since i knew I had been using a cheap one anyway. If yours is still the original ford belt, maybe it's just worn out and when going to start the vehicle it's just too much strain on it.

Thank you Adrian and Peter. Adrain yours sounds like our situation. I replaced the belt once already to try to minimize thinking the same but I didn’t check temp rating. Will have to check it again and get another belt on/ rediagnose myself. Will post after I get this done.

We just had our exp in for a few things- one was a rattle or chatter seen at the belt tensioner. Dealer determined the cause was a bad balancing pulley. They changed it and replaced seal but it didn’t solve the issue.
I have a new OEM belt 8620 and tensioner I’m willing to change myself. I’m frustrated dealer hasn’t repaired. They’ve offered to take it back but then we are out the car again.

Rattle was most annoying in gear with ac on and turning wheel. It’s Great feature for a drive thru!

There's another thread where a dealer assumed it was the balancing pullley, changed it, and it didn't fix it. These days I get nervous just taking mine in for an oil change. Replacing the belt with OEM equal quality belt fixed mine.

There's another thread where a dealer assumed it was the balancing pullley, changed it, and it didn't fix it. These days I get nervous just taking mine in for an oil change. Replacing the belt with OEM equal quality belt fixed mine.
Both threads have been merged.

Peter

Had some time today to look at this again- I replaced the belt Part no GB5Z 8620 A.
Tensioner centered and no rattle.

I guess the Dealer got me...

Had some time today to look at this again- I replaced the belt Part no GB5Z 8620 A.
Tensioner centered and no rattle.

I guess the Dealer got me...

Hello

Just found this thread, I´ve been having this same issue with my 2013 XLT, when I bought it used June 2018, it had a horrible rattle all the time. Changed the tensioner and belt, seemed to fixed it. A few months later noticed that there is some rattle when I start the truck first thing in the morning. Goes away after about a minute.
I will replace the belt with the number you provided, thanks. Did you also replaced the tensioner?

Back