• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 System - Flaky???

Rossi6998

Reaction score
City, State
Whittier, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I am having strange issues with my Sync 3 system. About a week ago, the no GPS symbol appeared and would not go away. A soft reboot fixed this issue. Today, I kept getting weather alerts even though I had cleared them and turned off the weather alerts feature. Again, a soft reboot fixed this issue. Lastly, there have been times where the Sync 3 has been slow to respond (several seconds).

I realize these devices are pretty much computers, but to have to continue to soft reboot to make it work properly is not normal...

Anyone else having similar issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What software do you have? 19101? If so, hit the dealer to update to 19200.

I was on 19200 and it was so buggy they did a factory reset and now it’s at 19101. Still extremely buggy, borderline intolerable. Can I update ota or must be through the dealer?

the other day screen turned black and only way to fix it was to pull over and turn the car off.

I was on 19200 and it was so buggy they did a factory reset and now it’s at 19101.

That doesn't sounds like they updated anything. A Master Reset won't roll back software. Currently there's no public OTA/USB update, it's dealer only.

Has anyone confirmed update to 19200? Is it any improvement? I have an appt with the dealer to look at my park aid fault, and was going to have them update the software as well.

Has anyone confirmed update to 19200? Is it any improvement? I have an appt with the dealer to look at my park aid fault, and was going to have them update the software as well.

Big picture you're better off with the 19200 build. After they're done, do the voice button push and make sure it doesn't say "Please say a command" to ensure the full install was completed. I've heard of sporadic cases where for some reason it wasn't, which can cause headaches you otherwise wouldn't have.

Ok, ill do that. Is checking the software version not enough to ensure it was done correctly? And if i do that and get the “please say a command” what do i tell the dealer? :)

Ok, ill do that. Is checking the software version not enough to ensure it was done correctly? And if i do that and get the “please say a command” what do i tell the dealer? :)

In this case, no. The About screen only tells you the version number for the main software package. To see the voice data, you have to dive into the diagnostics menu. If it still prompts that message, tell them to check the version of the 14G391 package. It should be -CH (Nav) / -BH (Non-Nav) to match with the 19200 release. If the tool doesn't update it for some reason, it'll be -CE / -BE still.

Ok here’s one for you all. Brought ST in for seat recall and asked about sync update. They said yep. 3.4 and 19200 now installed. Lost HD am and fm now. Worked before update. Both are turned on but no symbol when on am or fm. Thoughts?

Ok here’s one for you all. Brought ST in for seat recall and asked about sync update. They said yep. 3.4 and 19200 now installed. Lost HD am and fm now. Worked before update. Both are turned on but no symbol when on am or fm. Thoughts?

See my Post "No HD Radio Reception" . Most likely an ACM module issue.

Back