New (to me) 16 XLT 2.3L Observations / Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New (to me) 16 XLT 2.3L Observations / Questions

DelcoGary

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware County PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer XLT 4wd 2.3L
Hi All
Long time Blue Oval guy here. Just picked up a 16 2.3L XLT 4wd. Looking forward to learning the "ins and outs" of the Explorer after downsizing from an 07 Expedition EL.

I'm fairly familiar with the platform since the other ride is an 11 SHO but new to this gen Explorer.

I hope to learn a bunch and contribute some too!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome.

I have a new-to-me 2016 XLT "4wd" 2.3L ecoboost that I picked up in August. I've been very pleased with it so far. Its hauled our dog and us to Maine and back with all of our paraphernalia and gotten (what I consider) very good mileage (compared to my 07 Expedition 4x4 EL just about everything short of a Super Duty has better MPG). I had a couple of questions and observations that the group may know the answer to:
- The 2.3L does not make pleasant sounds. Its quiet once cruising but not the most refined motor under acceleration. Does the Limited have additional soundproofing or do you hear the same racket under acceleration? Do the 2020s sound like this too?
- The stereo in the XLT is disappointing. Almost enough to make me wish I had hunted harder for a Limited. Just an opinion and observation.
- For those that have upgraded from MFT to Sync3, do you need to change out the USB/SD port in the center console too?
- On the positive side, I really like the magnetic paint color. The "metal flake" really looks good when the sun hits hit just right.

I had considered a Jeep Grand Cherokee, but even in the few months of ownership, the extra space of the Explorer has come in handy several times.

Gary, I combined your new thread with your initial thread and moved it to this sub forum.
As for the radio, there are several threads on Audio Upgrades you can find with the 'Search' feature. From speaker replacements to full audio replacement.

Peter

My 2.3L limited sounds nice no matter the acceleration. In fact when you step on it, that turbo sounds great. So I wonder if it does have some extra insulation.

I am jealous of the magnetic color. I really don't like my black. While sleek, it shows micro scratches big time.

I didn't notice too much when test driving the car, but my '13 Limited with the V6 is very loud on acceleration. Makes it sound like the car is really struggling to move. My old '02 Acura TL is very quiet, just a touch of cam whine and engine growl right up to redline. Even my wife's '06 Odyssey seems to pull harder with hardly any engine noise even at WOT.

Back