ST Street Pack vs Track Pack High Performance Package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ST Street Pack vs Track Pack High Performance Package

Jons2020XT

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Fe
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Subaru
I need some advice about which of these to order. For financial reasons I plan on ordering in about 60 days. I test drove an ST the other day with the Street Pack. I have read/heard that the upgraded brakes were hard to modulate. They seemed perfectly fine to me. I live in a mountainous areas and want as much 'reserve' as I can get so I am thinking about getting the High Performance Package that lists for $1,595 as opposed to $995 for the ST Street Pack that I drove.

On the Ford site the explanation of the two packages is identical so I can not really tell what the differences are. If anyone knows, I would appreciate a description of the differences. Also I would like to hear from people that have any one of these two options.

The other problem is that I live in an area where some roads are not paved, and some places are pretty rough, so that may suggest either of these two packages is not a good idea. That said, Ford put them on a vehicle with "trail mode" so I hope that they would be OK within reason.

Hard, choices. What have people heard about the ST off road?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the concerns with the brakes were with the Track Pack. As far as road conditions, the 21" wheels would likely be more prone to damage than the 20". If there are "financial concerns" you can always go with the standard 20 wheels. I don't recall reading anything about the ST's off-road capability. It has a shorter front and rear overhang than the 5th gen but then it has a longer wheel base by about 6" I believe.

Peter

The difference between the two packs is literally the pads.

Whether or not you want the 21s and low pro, debatable.
You can get either of the packs, with 21s then go all the way down to 18s with more tire sidewall. It'll clear the big brakes as proven on the big brake equipped police interceptor SUVs.

I don't believe 18" is an option on the ST.

Peter

I was just reading that some trim levels (but apparently not the ST) have available self sealing tires. That would be nice. It appears that all models have a spare though.

I was just watching a YouTube from Raitis Rides, and at about 2:50 into the video it says that you will get performance shock absorbers and springs with what I think he means is the High Performance Package - said the same set up as on the police interceptor. That would better justify why the Performance Package is $600 more than the Street Pack. I had no heard this before. The Ford site has nearly no info. Is anyone able to confirm this?

I would like to hear from anyone that has information about the pads in the High Performance Package. Sometimes really high performance pads, like you would use on the track can be worse than standard brakes until they worm up, they can squeal more, and produce even worse dust (at least in my experience some years ago).

I'll say this, the brakes on my st are impressive. Street pack. Between the engine power and the brake stopping power this is a very impressive vehicle.
FWIW, I also own a challenger R/T with upgrades.

The Street pack brakes are not too grabby like the reviews you might have read with the Track pack. They are perfect. Best brakes I have had of all the cars I've owned. I agree with others that the Street pack should have been standard on the ST.

I believe the concerns with the brakes were with the Track Pack. As far as road conditions, the 21" wheels would likely be more prone to damage than the 20". If there are "financial concerns" you can always go with the standard 20 wheels. I don't recall reading anything about the ST's off-road capability. It has a shorter front and rear overhang than the 5th gen but then it has a longer wheel base by about 6" I believe.

Peter

Hi Peter,

What do you mean by, "the 21" wheels would likely be more prone to damage..."?

Thanks
John

Hi Peter,

What do you mean by, "the 21" wheels would likely be more prone to damage..."?

Thanks
John
I posted some details about in a different thread. In short, as the diameter of the rim increases, the width of the tire sidewall generally decreases. The good news (again generally) is that a narrower distance between the ground to the edge of the rim means better handling. The bad news is that this often results in a less cushy rice and increased likelihood of damaging a rim on a pothole, rock, or other hazard.

^^^ I'll add curb rash.

What the above 2 members posted.

Peter

upload_2019-10-28_8-9-48.jpeg

I would like to know the difference. I have an ST with the Street Pack.

From what I understand the High Performance Pack just has upgraded brake lines, and the brake pads are installed by the dealer. Otherwise it is the same as the ST Street Pack.

@7:38

Street Pack - Performance Brakes (factory installed)
Track Pack - High-Performance Brakes (shipped to the dealer for installation)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered the Track Pack - let's see how that plays out.

Back