Explorer Recall Notices Received | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Recall Notices Received

Post number 13 has been selected as best answered.

GeoTracker

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Received my first official recall letter from Ford today. Dated October 2019, Compliance Recall Notice 19C07 NHTSA Recall 19V-633. Issue, one or more of the seatbacks may have an improperly assembled recliner mechanism. Time needed, less than one-half day. Build date was last of August, received on Sept 3.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I received mine as well for the seat back and wire harness. I'll be making an appointment within the next week.
I tried to find a previous post where a member stated his dealer put the seat back under a load test. That's not what the recall states as the solution. They'll inspect and replace the seat back if necessary. I hope that guy gets the seat properly inspected.

Screenshot_20191026-140355.png

This is posted in the recall sticky.

I received mine as well for the seat back and wire harness. I'll be making an appointment within the next week.
I tried to find a previous post where a member stated his dealer put the seat back under a load test. That's not what the recall states as the solution. They'll inspect and replace the seat back if necessary. I hope that guy gets the seat properly inspected.

View attachment 175079
Did the seat recall, haven't seen anything about a wire harness?

"Seat back load test"

Put feet on dash and push backwards as hard as they can to see if incremental
adjustments pop?
Sounds like how they instruct the techs they hire in Georgia.
Get it done as fast as possible --> $$.

"Seat back load test"

Put feet on dash and push backwards as hard as they can to see if incremental
adjustments pop?
Sounds like how they instruct the techs they hire in Georgia.
Get it done as fast as possible --> $$.

Those are some long legs to wrap them around the front seats and reach the dash from the 2nd row.

Front seat becomes a bed.
The Samsonite Gorillas worked those bags over good too.

Did the seat recall, haven't seen anything about a wire harness?

A wire harness may come in context with the AC pulley. It's possible that not all units are in on this recall.

Received my first official recall letter from Ford today. Dated October 2019, Compliance Recall Notice 19C07 NHTSA Recall 19V-633. Issue, one or more of the seatbacks may have an improperly assembled recliner mechanism. Time needed, less than one-half day. Build date was last of August, received on Sept 3.

I took care of this recall today, or at least I think so. After about an hour the service said I was good to go. Paperwork only showed recall 19c07, inspect seat recliner, warranty. I asked if the seatback passed the inspection and if any parts were replaced. The service rep looked on the computer and advied that it was inspected and a wiring harness was replaced. The description of repair seems to be different from what I had expected. Anyone else had the wiring harness replaced due to this recall inspection?

MECHANICAL SEAT RECLINER

NHTSA Recall Number:
19V633 NHTSA Date:AUG 28, 2019 Ford Recall number: 19C07

Recall Description:MECHANICAL SEAT RECLINER
Risk to Safety:A SEATBACK WITH AN IMPROPERLY ASSEMBLED RECLINER MECHANISM MAY HAVE REDUCED STRENGTH AND MAY NOT ADEQUATELY RESTRAIN AN OCCUPANT IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY.

Remedy Program: FORD MOTOR COMPANY HAS AUTHORIZED YOUR DEALER TO INSPECT THE SEAT BACKS AND REPLACE IT IF NECESSARY FREE OF CHARGE (PARTS AND LABOR).

I took care of this recall today, or at least I think so. After about an hour the service said I was good to go. Paperwork only showed recall 19c07, inspect seat recliner, warranty. I asked if the seatback passed the inspection and if any parts were replaced. The service rep looked on the computer and advied that it was inspected and a wiring harness was replaced. The description of repair seems to be different from what I had expected. Anyone else had the wiring harness replaced due to this recall inspection?

MECHANICAL SEAT RECLINER

NHTSA Recall Number:

Risk to Safety:A SEATBACK WITH AN IMPROPERLY ASSEMBLED RECLINER MECHANISM MAY HAVE REDUCED STRENGTH AND MAY NOT ADEQUATELY RESTRAIN AN OCCUPANT IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY.

Remedy Program: FORD MOTOR COMPANY HAS AUTHORIZED YOUR DEALER TO INSPECT THE SEAT BACKS AND REPLACE IT IF NECESSARY FREE OF CHARGE (PARTS AND LABOR).

Just located this about a wiring harness, but it has a different recall number and I did not get a recall notice for it.

Safety recall for select 2020 Ford Explorer vehicles for an improperly secured wiring harness

Ford is issuing a safety recall for select 2020 Ford Explorer vehicles with 2.3-liter and 3.3-liter gas engines. In affected vehicles, the wiring harness is not properly secured and may contact the air-conditioning pulley, resulting in a damaged wiring harness or damaged air-conditioning drive belt. Over time, contact with the air-conditioning pulley may rub through the wiring harness insulation, creating the potential for contact with the unfused B+ circuit, resulting in a short circuit and possible fire.

Ford is not aware of any reports of accidents, injuries or fires related to this condition.

This action affects 10,655 vehicles in the United States. The majority of affected vehicles are in dealer inventory. The issue will be remedied prior to delivery to customers.

Affected vehicles were built at Chicago Assembly Plant, May 28 - July 18, 2019.

Dealers will secure the wiring harness and repair any damage, if present. The Ford reference number for this recall is 19S32.

Both of those were posted to our thread on Recalls, TSBs etc on Aug. 30th and Oct. 2nd 2019 respectively. List of Useful Threads - 6th Generation Ex and Aviator Recalls, TSB, FSA and SSM

Peter
Thanks Peter, the only recall on my VIN was the 19c07 seatback recall inspection. Why would they report that it was inspected and the wiring harness was replaced? Just wanted to know if anyone else had a wiring harness replacement with recall 19c07 "improperly assembled recliner mechanism". I am thinking the entry for a wiring harness was in error or the service rep was looking at a different vehicle. I don't see how the wiring harness is related to the seatback inspection.

MECHANICAL SEAT RECLINER

NHTSA Recall Number:

Mine fell into this recall and can tell you that the work order when I got a copy of the paperwork had the notes from the tech and how much pressure the seat tested to using the tool Ford requires them to use.

blwnsmoke, thank you, that helped me find the repair information for the recall: Not likely that they did the correct inspection as I observed the tech setting in the second row and working somewhere at the bottom of the driver seatback. The 2020 Explorer recall is for the second row seatback if I am reading this correctly. My third row was down so they could not have inspected the second row seatbacks. The recall appears to be for the manual recliner seats only and for the 2020 Explorer only the second row rear seats.

Instructional Tech Video: https://players.brightcove.net/5803674275001/default_default/index.html?videoId=6078055045001

SERVICE ACTION
Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to inspect the manual recliner mechanism on front seats for the following vehicles and repair if necessary:
 2018-2020 F-150
 2018-2019 Explorer
 2019-2020 Superduty, Expedition
 2020 Escape

Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to inspect the manual recliner mechanism on rear seats for the following vehicles and repair if necessary:
 2020 Explorer and Aviator

It is expected that less than 1% of vehicles will not pass the inspection, and will require part replacement. Follow repair instructions to repair any failed seat. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
NOTE: There will be a primary and alternate inspection procedure available. Dealers have all been shipped a Force Gauge to support the primary inspection procedure. Refer to the technical instructions for further details. Tips for Force Gauge usage are in Attachment V of this bulletin.

OVERVIEW Some of the affected vehicles may not conform to the requirements specified by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 202a (Head Restraints) and FMVSS 207 (Seating Systems). The seatback may exhibit excessive movement, as a result of an improperly assembled recliner mechanism. This concern affects front row manual seat recliners on all vehicles listed except for the 2020 MY Explorer and Aviator, for which the issue pertains only to second row outboard seats with manual recliners.

blwnsmoke, thank you, that helped me find the repair information for the recall: Not likely that they did the correct inspection as I observed the tech setting in the second row and working somewhere at the bottom of the driver seatback. The 2020 Explorer recall is for the second row seatback if I am reading this correctly. My third row was down so they could not have inspected the second row seatbacks. The recall appears to be for the manual recliner seats only and for the 2020 Explorer only the second row rear seats.

Instructional Tech Video: https://players.brightcove.net/5803674275001/default_default/index.html?videoId=6078055045001

SERVICE ACTION
Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to inspect the manual recliner mechanism on front seats for the following vehicles and repair if necessary:
 2018-2020 F-150
 2018-2019 Explorer
 2019-2020 Superduty, Expedition
 2020 Escape

Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to inspect the manual recliner mechanism on rear seats for the following vehicles and repair if necessary:
 2020 Explorer and Aviator

It is expected that less than 1% of vehicles will not pass the inspection, and will require part replacement. Follow repair instructions to repair any failed seat. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
NOTE: There will be a primary and alternate inspection procedure available. Dealers have all been shipped a Force Gauge to support the primary inspection procedure. Refer to the technical instructions for further details. Tips for Force Gauge usage are in Attachment V of this bulletin.

OVERVIEW Some of the affected vehicles may not conform to the requirements specified by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 202a (Head Restraints) and FMVSS 207 (Seating Systems). The seatback may exhibit excessive movement, as a result of an improperly assembled recliner mechanism. This concern affects front row manual seat recliners on all vehicles listed except for the 2020 MY Explorer and Aviator, for which the issue pertains only to second row outboard seats with manual recliners.

Correct, it is the back of the 2nd row. If they didn't test them, they did it completely wrong.

Back