Rear axle more over to the passenger side | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear axle more over to the passenger side

Sporting2dr

Reaction score
City, State
fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 explore sport 4.0l 4x4
I have the 2002 Ford explore sport 4x4 is it normal for the rear end to be over to the passenger side more then centred or should say even on both sides? Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you referring to the pumpkin, center section, differential being off center,

ford_ranger_rear_axle.jpg

or does one tire stick out further than the other?

One axle is shorter than the other because the "pumpkin" is not centered between the leaf springs. This is a common practice and is done for the driveshaft u-joints. If it was centered the u-joints would not wear correctly.

if your saying one tire sticks out further than the other, you have a serious problem.

Are you referring to the pumpkin, center section, differential being off center,

ford_ranger_rear_axle.jpg

or does one tire stick out further than the other?
The tire sticks out further on the passenger side than on the driver side. I just went out and measured it from the middle of the inner wheel well on one side it's 10 and 7/8 and on the other side it's 12 on the passenger side to the outside of my tire

I know my body mounts a shot so that might bring it off a little bit by looking at the pics of the tires in the fender Wells. but I don't think it should be that much

IMAG0683.jpg

IMAG0684.jpg

IMAG0685.jpg

IMAG0687.jpg

They were on it when I got it. I will have too look into that. Thanks

Check your shackles while looking around. They are known to rust and break. That would kick the axle over.

Also, look at the upper shackle bolt brackets on the frame too. They can break off and have the same effect.

Leaf bushings can wear out, and cause slip, letting the axle move a bit.

Just something else to look at besides what's already mentioned.

Check your shackles while looking around. They are known to rust and break. That would kick the axle over.

Also, look at the upper shackle bolt brackets on the frame too. They can break off and have the same effect.

Leaf bushings can wear out, and cause slip, letting the axle move a bit.

Just something else to look at besides what's already mentioned.
Tomorrow I'm going to rip back into it. If I can't see anything as mentioned. I'm going to put the old leafsprings back in and see. Nothing else I will take to a frame place and make sure nothing major is wrong. The thing that gets me it rides straight and everything else. It looks straight going down the road and sitting there.

My tires on my 1994 have always stuck out more on the passenger side than the driver side and I have had it for 24 years. Its fairly common in the 1st and 2nd Generation Explorers.

My old 2000 did that, it wore the back tires hard too, I could never keep back tires on it. That looks like a bad leaf spring set, cracked maybe, or shackle issue. Basically what's been said.

Before we jump to conclusions though, you mentioned body mounts. Have you measured from the frame rail itself to the outside edge of the tire? It's not impossible that the body has shifted on the frame.

One thing not mentioned here that applied long ago to Ford 9-inch axles, and still does today. First, if the axles are of greatly differing length, for whatever reason, the longer one "winds up" more than the shorter. This is "factored in" to reduce tire spin on one side, as torque applied to the pinion tries to do 2 things: it makes the pinion gear "climb" the ring gear, which "winds up" the leaf springs. The other is to reduce loss of weight or load on the RH side tire.

Note the differential carrier has the side gears which drive the axles. To achieve desired balance of all these design headaches, since the pinion gear is located way off the center line of the pumpkin, it may often appear that the driveshaft is not running down the center of the vehicle, and it may not be. Also, Dana Spicer Engineering recommends a 2-degree angle between U-joints when standing normally. This is to equalize wear within them, and reduce embedment of the needles in the yokes and caps. imp

@imp You must build these axles or something. I can do most anything body and frame related, engine or trans just alike, but when it comes to anything differential or axle related, it's going in a shop. If I have to change an axle, I just change the whole unit.

If the pumpkin was centered on the axle, the driveshaft would not clear the gas tank.

All right little bit of an update. I brought it down to the local Body Shop where they repair Chevy vehicles for the Chevy dealership and do framework. When I brought it over to them they used an old method with string line from the front tire to the back tires both sides with equal from front to back so they said it had to be normal and body mounts can make it look off. What I'm going to have to do is just order in the body mounts. And then take it from there. I really do appreciate everybody's comments and help as this will bug me until I get it fixed.

I replaced the body mounts on my BII years ago, the old rubber mounts were soft and ripped the hardware was rusted and broken.
When I replaced them I used urethane mounts and I did one side of the truck at a time
The body ended up 1/2" over to the pass side
I need to loosen them all up and move the body over a little bit
I confirmed with the string that it is not "dog tracking" it is not my wheel alignment or a bent frame, it is indeed the body mounts are slightly off center towards the back of the truck it gets worse

That repair is not high on my list of things to do, I live with it.
Let us know if you are able to center the body on the frame better when you replace your mounts.
I did mine in the driveway with a sawzall and a bunch of floor jacks and pieces of wood....if I was to do it again these days I would do both sides at the same time and lift the whole body off making sure it gets centered when it "lands"
good luck! and good eye
Many trucks from the factory, rangers, explorers come this way with the body off 1/4-1/2" off to one side, it is most obvious over the rear tires or at the rear bumper

Did they tell you the mounts are bad, and need replaced? They might need adjusted is all.

If you do that job, look at the body lift threads here, for help with the bolts.
Oh I can see them when you look up in there half of my missing all the tops and all they are rotted out

I replaced the body mounts on my BII years ago, the old rubber mounts were soft and ripped the hardware was rusted and broken.
When I replaced them I used urethane mounts and I did one side of the truck at a time
The body ended up 1/2" over to the pass side
I need to loosen them all up and move the body over a little bit
I confirmed with the string that it is not "dog tracking" it is not my wheel alignment or a bent frame, it is indeed the body mounts are slightly off center towards the back of the truck it gets worse

That repair is not high on my list of things to do, I live with it.
Let us know if you are able to center the body on the frame better when you replace your mounts.
I did mine in the driveway with a sawzall and a bunch of floor jacks and pieces of wood....if I was to do it again these days I would do both sides at the same time and lift the whole body off making sure it gets centered when it "lands"
good luck! and good eye
Many trucks from the factory, rangers, explorers come this way with the body off 1/4-1/2" off to one side, it is most obvious over the rear tires or at the rear bumper
Thank Youfor letting me know about yours. I'm going to do the same in my yard I'll lay out some plywood on the ground first lift up the whole body at once. I just can't get the mounts right now for the two door sport they're almost $200 and that's just bushings no Hardware. I did have a buddy follow behind me yesterday to make sure I wasn't dog walking I got no uneven wear on my tires in the truck rides straight just not understanding it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It wouldn't take much if the old worn mounts have let the body shift. If your tires are wearing good, I'd bet it's mounts shifting.

Back