1997 4.0 SOHC cylinder head removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 4.0 SOHC cylinder head removal

allmyEXes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
After searching for about an hour I have not found the information that I am needing. In the process of repairing my white '97 4.0 SOHC, I need to remove the left cylinder head. My main question is after I remove the lower intake manifold bolts on the drivers side (USA) will I be able to slip the head out from under the lower intake manifold or will I have to remove the lower intake entirely?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bad news: I think you will need to remove the lower manifold entirely.

Good news: it is very easy to remove the lower manifold.

Good luck!

After searching for about an hour I have not found the information that I am needing. In the process of repairing my white '97 4.0 SOHC, I need to remove the left cylinder head. My main question is after I remove the lower intake manifold bolts on the drivers side (USA) will I be able to slip the head out from under the lower intake manifold or will I have to remove the lower intake entirely?

No. The engine block has locating dowels that stick up for the head gasket and head to locate on. You must at least lift the head maybe 1/2". I'd plan on removing the entire intake manifold.

Thanks guys! I will and will be able to redo the lower intake gaskets in the process.

As I pause in between heating and penetrant liquid on the broke off sparkplug in the '97 5.0 MM I took a moment to assess the white '97 head repair and left side timing chain replace tensioner hardware I took a picture and reminded myself that I just have one exhaust manifold bolt to remove before I can lift the head off. Working on and around the 5.0 '97 is the most of done to one the Explorers since my stroke then the surgery to have the stint put in my left carotid artery. I think I'm ready to get both of these '97s done. I did drive the plum colored '94 Thursday and Friday about 20 miles total, but it gets old airing up the bad left tire which is the spare too. This one needs at least two tires to drive it regularly. Here us an under hood shot of the white'97.
97jan19.jpg

Back