07EddyB

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
So - a complicated simple question.
I have a 2007 Explorer V8 with 115K miles that I have owned since 2008. That's very low - and I only put about 8K on it per year.
So what goes with age versus mileage? What do I need to watch out for based on age versus mileage?
Anything made of rubber of course. But even that stuff has gotten better over the years.
Lots of Explorers make it to 200K easily. Will mine make it there since it will be about 10.5 years before I get there? Or will age get it before mileage does? Understand that I'm not in the rust belt so rust will not eat it up in another 10 years.
It's largely a rhetorical question to think about what ages a vehicle - age or mileage. Obviously there are a lot more variables involved - but we all worry about an older vehicle with lower miles than we do about a newer vehicle with more miles.

Tell me what you think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both years and miles take a toll on your truck. If you keep up with maintenance and repairs, your truck will get to 200 k.

Good luck!

I would prefer an older model with less miles.

What is your schedule for oil change and trans service?
What fluids and filters do you use?

I'm in a similar situ. Had my truck since Feb 2009, has 107k on it, drive about 6 to 7k per yr.

I do 22-25k per year. I am almost at 300k. For the past 12-13 years my truck has never been garaged inside, always on the driveway in the rain or 2 feet of snow, driving on NY/NJ highways with tons of salt on them, plus plowing. And even with that abuse, the frame has just surface rust and things look pretty well under. I do not see any reason why I can't make it to 400 or 500k doing some repairs along the way. Out of curiosity, I priced out a remanufactured tranny for my v8 (6R60) and it would be $ 2,200. That sounds better than a new mortgage for a new car :)

What is your schedule for oil change and trans service?
What fluids and filters do you use?

I'm in a similar situ. Had my truck since Feb 2009, has 107k on it, drive about 6 to 7k per yr.
I use Motorcraft filters and Mobile One 5W-20 at a 5K interval - I don't go by time - only mileage. I serviced the transmission about 2 years ago with a new filter and Mercon SP? fluid. About the same time I replaced the transfer case fluid with a generic Valvoline product for transfer cases. I have replaced the radiator which involved a flush and new Zerex anti-freeze. With the exception of brake, power steering, and differential fluids everything is pretty fresh.
The only issue I have right now is the right side exhaust manifold has started leaking again. I've replaced it once but was unable to extract the top broken stud on the #1 cylinder so it's been running about 2 years on 7 studs. I have a new manifold - I've been working off and on to get that one stud extracted before I replace it.
Other than that - it looks good and it runs good. If I had to replace it today I don't know what I would get. It seems to me that a truck based SUV - midsize - full frame - RWD/4WD - V8 engine was the pinnacle. Your opinion may vary, but it seems to me that we've been going downhill since this model was made.

Keep up with your maintenance schedule and give us an update in 5 yrs. (lol)

Completely agree with you on the 4th gen w/v8. Spacious. comfortable, fairly nimble for its size and good power.

Good luck with that manifold stud. #1 and 5 are a bit... to access.

The replacement dilemma haunts me all the time. I sat in Expeditions, Navigators, F-150 - anything that's body on frame with v8. Probably I could go with F150, the Expeditions are just huge and I had big cars in the past so I can drive them. But they ride like boats IMHO.

Back