Cabin Air Filter Replacement | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cabin Air Filter Replacement

I haven't seen much mention of how everyone has been working around the passenger knee airbag, as on my '18 Sport. The Service Manual states that the airbag needs to be removed before the glove compartment door can be removed, with all precautions to first disable the SRS system. Then there's a SRS reset procedure once the airbag is reconnected. Has anyone done the cabin air filter change with a knee airbag and what was your method? Crazy that replacing this simple air filter might involve multiple hours of work or a trip to the dealer.

The knee airbag did not pose a problem for me. Was not in the way whatsoever.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The knee airbag did not pose a problem for me. Was not in the way whatsoever.

Same for me on both my 15 and 18...no interference from the airbags.

Thanks for the replies, I'll look at it again and try it without removing the knee airbag, or just swing it down without disconnecting. The Service Manual doesn't always have the most "efficient" method, go figure!

Not familiar with the 18. Is it different than earlier models? Watch the videos posted to see how to change it on a 16 (and older).

I believe if you are reasonably nimble or have someone with fairly small hands you should be able to R/R the CAF without getting unhinged.....sorry couldn’t resist.... If you find a box or something about the height of the bottom of the glove box you can rest it on that. The tab for the access panel should be fairly straight forward once the compartment is out of the way. Remember to remove the little cable but here's a tip. I ran some speaker wire through the retaining strap and anchored it to the door handle. Basically keeping the retaining strap from snapping back and difficult to find.

I believe if you are reasonably nimble or have someone with fairly small hands you should be able to R/R the CAF without getting unhinged.....sorry couldn’t resist.... If you find a box or something about the height of the bottom of the glove box you can rest it on that. The tab for the access panel should be fairly straight forward once the compartment is out of the way. Remember to remove the little cable but here's a tip. I ran some speaker wire through the retaining strap and anchored it to the door handle. Basically keeping the retaining strap from snapping back and difficult to find.
I wear a size 13/14 ring and can easily change the CAF by unhooking the tension cable and pressing the tabs up while letting the glove box rotate down (I empty it first). Only tools I use are needlenose pliers to do the tension cable and a small flathead screwdriver to help pop the CAF cover off.

I wear a #10 ring and 9 1/2 glove and there is no way that I can do the filter without pulling the box out on my 2016

The nice thing about pulling the box out is that it just takes a second once you see how easy it comes out and you have a whole lot more room.

Went for it this evening, left the airbag in place, pins slid out easily with needlenose pliers, and got the filter out with no issues...only to find that the dealer gave me the wrong filter element. I'll have to go back into it but fortunately it seemed to be fairly easy. No way is there room to access the filter without pulling the glove box off or without risking breaking the hinges, on mine anyway.

I wear a size 13/14 ring and can easily change the CAF by unhooking the tension cable and pressing the tabs up while letting the glove box rotate down (I empty it first). Only tools I use are needlenose pliers to do the tension cable and a small flathead screwdriver to help pop the CAF cover off.

No way is there room to access the filter without pulling the glove box off or without risking breaking the hinges, on mine anyway.
This thread is like the tastes great-less filling ad campaign for Miller lite...

This thread is like the tastes great-less filling ad campaign for Miller lite...
I am just wondering if something changed on the structure that makes this more difficult in the later models (17, 18, 19). Of course it could just be a difference in manual dexterity vs the physical opening. Nobody has posted a video or pictures of later model years. If I have time I will try to capture some of my 12 to post for reference.

In my case it is the physical opening that is difficult to get into the CAF, even with the box hanging as low as it can without removing the pins. I have watched the video and there is no way that the box on my 2016 is as low as it is in the video along with being able to reach into the opening like they are showing.

It doesn't matter anymore since after removing the pins once it will only take another minute or two to pull the pins and pull the box out completely. Then there is no worry of breaking the hinge.

Here are a couple of reference pictures from a 2012 Limited. Although I show my finger on the latch, it is difficult to pop off without a screwdriver. You have about 4.5 inches of opening with the glove box hanging (disconnected from the tension cable).
20190718_210620.jpg
20190718_210555.jpg
20190718_210445.jpg

Much less of an opening on my ‘18, this is with the cord disconnected and the glove box pushed down as much as I dare.
F68DF65F-52F6-46F2-9362-6BF7AA0D2B12.jpeg

3E7A879E-9F34-4B08-9F18-AD8639112A31.jpeg

That's as far as mine drops also

So I finally got around to downloading my videos from the camera and I had forgotten that I had recorded my experience with changing the cabin air filter. I just laughed at myself, but on another note, getting the hinge pins back in place.....:frustrated:

If you dare...

I just replaced my cabin air filter and getting the hinge pins out was a real pain. The only thing worse was trying to get them back in. Any issues with leaving the hinge pins out?
I placed a mirror and light on the floor and used some needle nose pliers to grasp and guide the hinge pins back in place, then used a screw driver to push the pins through the hinges. This procedure took about 5 mins for both sides. It was a bit tricky figuring out how to move the pins into place using the mirror, but if you take your time you can get it.

There are no flow arrows on the cabin air filter I removed. Which direction should the new filter flow arrows go, up or down?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They should point into the car.

Back