Squealing Noise When Wet, Belt? | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squealing Noise When Wet, Belt?

Yes. But, changing belts as often as oil is abnormal and has to have a root cause separate from normal wear and tear.
Try the belt that blwnsmoke mentioned and then go from there. It seems everything has 'guesswork' up to now anyway.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I entirely agree. If it works, case closed. I did buy the Napa branded belt today and it looks and feels differently from the Gates I put on previously. The last one I put on felt coarse; this one is a softer grippier (sp?) feeling rubber. The guy at the store basically confirmed it was a Gates rebranded belt, but it's a rebrand of the premium line. He also said save the receipt because the belt has a lifetime warranty!

Just installed it. The ribbing definitely looks different from the one I took out, too. The deep groove belt on the left is the one I just removed and the right is the Napa branded belt. Just for posterity and a matter of record I just turned 110,000 miles so if it goes prematurely I'll have a record here.

20190226_161458.jpg

I’d like to bump this post. I have found the issue and fixed it. After spending close to $300 on parts it cost me $3.98 to fix it with a tube of exterior caulk. The seal at the back of the hood between the windshield and engine bay was leaking. I was washing the car for a trip and popped the hood to check oil. I could see a water trail straight down to the top of the belt. Why that seal is not glued down is beyond me. Anyways it’s held in place with connectors every 6 inches or so. Between them you can stick your entire finger under them. If the hood had enough downward pressure this may not matter. Mine did not. To fix it I applied a bead of clear caulking along the inside edge under the hood. I’ve drove for 3 months now. Thru multiple extremely heavy storms with not one belt squeal or power loss issue.

Welcome to the Forum Stephen.:wave:
Thanks for the tip.

Peter

Thanks peter. Here’s a photo of the fix. Don’t mind the dirt we have been driving from Ohio to maine.
A47B066D-7393-4373-811F-802ADE745114.jpeg

You can see the old water spot lines on the top of the engine cover. And my caulk job.
21B7A952-49C3-47D5-975A-B0B25B659E99.jpeg

Hi Gang , new 2012 Explorer XLT owner here. This exact part fell off my “new used” explorer not 4 miles off the lot while I was driving . It came apart in two pieces and I saved the pieces.
The dealer’s mechanic was not there so no one knew where it went . It had just went through an oil change - does this piece need to be taken off to get at the oil filter?

Anyway does anyone have a cell phone picture , or a link to a video that shows this thing where it sits when affixed properly?

Thanks! Here is the link to the part I am going to order

https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/Fo...hield-Front--Lower/52427413/DB5Z9910494A.html

Update. This part is not to direct air. Only to prevent water from entering as southerngirl321 stated. I have included part number for the aformentioned lower shield (base part number 10494) specific number for my truck 7810494. Also requires clips to install onto frame. (Clip part number W716006S439).

View attachment 166622
ang

Well i am having the squealing pully/belt problem as well. I replaced my belt one year ago with a Motorcraft belt and it fixed the problem back then. So now it is happening again about the same time of year as last year during fall when it is cooler and more moisture/humidity in mornings. But rain does not cause the squealing, it squeals regardless of weather. I have had no electrical drops or surges, just a annoying squaking/ squealing going on. My tensioner looks a bit rough for 71k miles, so I will try a gates premium belt and a new tensioner, and hopefully this will fix the problem.

And yes SteamboatTK the air director piece/shield indeed does cover up the oil filter perfectly. Must remove this piece to get to oil filter.

And yes SteamboatTK the air director piece/shield indeed does cover up the oil filter perfectly. Must remove this piece to get to oil filter.

Thanks guys appreciate it. Dealer I bought the car from manned up, figured his oil change guy screwed up , sending me a $200 check. New air deflector is $83 delivered and the rest is for my trouble or some misc fasteners ...

I had replaced my belt with a OEM one and it started happening again in less then a year.

Got one from NAPA, swapped it again and with over 60k on this one, never had it happen again.

check to make sure it’s the right belt there are two sizes when I figured it out got the right size never slipped again

there is one for 175 amp alternator and it’s a half inch smaller than the 200 amp alternator it make all the difference

Welcome to the Forum Christopher.:wave:

Peter

Although I can't say it is due to wet conditions, I would wonder why the issue isn't more common? One thing is for sure, it isn't a fan belt as in the threads' name. There isn't one.:)
Have tried just just spraying water on the belt with a spray bottle while it is parked to see if you get that same squeal?

Peter
have 2012 xlt and everytime is rains mine belt squeals but i was told i am missing a cover?

Been happening with my PIU.

Squealing belt...help

Hello all!
I have a 2011 XLT that I purchased used back in November of 2013 with 19,000 miles on it. A few months after buying it, once the snow started, I noticed that whenever the roads are wet the belt squeals like a pig. I took it back to the dealer and they told me that they could not duplicate the problem. They said they put a garden hose on the belt and nothing happens. To me this is a crap test because it does not mimic actual road conditions, plus the vehicle is stationary and not being driven. Now that all the snow is gone and it has been raining it is squealing again. This ONLY happens when it rains. The wipers get real slow, the engine seems to get sluggish, then it squeals. If I hit the gas hard and get the Rpms up the squeal stops and everything returns to normal, for a few minutes anyway. I have recorded this while driving on my cell phone so I can show the dealer. Any thoughts on what it is? I have come to the conclusion that it is one of two things. Either the serpentine belt is slightly stretched or there is something wrong with the tensioner. The vehicle is still under warranty but the dealer won't do anything. Any ideas on how I can get the dealer to fix this or am I going to get stuck replacing the belt myself?
have the same problem and i was told it is missing a splashguard but I have yet to find the real name of said part

You could be missing the side splash shield but most of the time this is a sign of a worn out tensioner

Squealing Sound - Brakes or Fan Belt?

I posted about this a long while back, but never figured out what it is. Recently with the crazy weather we've been having, I've seen more often than not, when it's wet out, I hear the same squeal. From past experience, to me it sounds like it might be a fan belt. I only noticed it after getting my cooling fans replaced. Since then I've seen the TSB for brake issues and wonder if that's what the noise is. It never lasts long, usually happens when it's wet.

Thoughts?
i just reread the question. and might bee too late but when you had fans replaced wat the clutch bad or did it get bent
you should have gone back as soon as it happened if it was a shop. the belt could be bad, not correct tension misaligned pully . if shop will not help and if its more than month or so its no longer there fix its a new fix . but when temps about when it happens spray the belts and rev engine to rpm where it happens. tensioners go out on 4l not expensive to fix or like other comment try new belt in your question said fan replaced did they do the belt?

Back