• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer wiper problem

tomahawk350

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Explorer Limited
I recently bought a 2000 Explorer limited in excellent condition with below average miles. I'm already having a problem where the wipers activate with the switch off. I tried replacing the switch twice, no luck. The second (current) switch is a Motorcraft (#YL5Z13K359AAA) part an still didn't fix it. Could it be a bad ground somewhere? Please advise...

IMG_20190918_192725324[1].jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could try swapping the relays. Their location is in the owner's manual. For my '98 the Wiper Park Relay and the Wiper Hi/Low relays are the same type as used in some other circuits you could swap, like the Horn or Rear Wiper Down relay.

There is a wiring diagram for that (among others) linked in my sig.

Thanks JC. I'll try swapping the relays. Where is the central timer module? or is it part of the multi-function swtich? I'm almost certain its not the switch, and plan to return the current new one. The new switch I have now is an ebay purchase that didn;t even have a box, so there's no guarantee its even a Motorcraft part.

The central timer module is usually just a function of the GEM module which is behind and to the left of the radio.

Edit: The generic electronic module (GEM) is equipped on four-wheel drive vehicles, or two-wheel drive vehicles with power windows. On these vehicles the GEM incorporates the CTM function so no separate CTM is needed.

Two wheel drive vehicles without power windows do not have a GEM and then have a CTM module instead.

The GEM is how it does the delayed modes slower than low speed, but a failure of the GEM would tend to make them not work at all, unless you had a windshield or roof leak that got condensation into it to create a short.

What is the rate of occurrence of the problem and the duration? Wipers always on? Wipers randomly come on a single or how many wipes? Does the washer spray?

As far as aftermarket switches, some people say they're fine, but if I can restore a factory part to like new function I'll always go that route. When my MFS went bad (manifested as an erratic turn signal) it had no real wear in it, just corrosion of the copper contacts so I opted to open and clean it out (fine sandpaper or steel wool or whatever (metal polish, etc) will work, make sure it's completely cleaned of debris), then put dielectric grease on the contacts.

I would not only return the new one if you have the option, but also take the old one apart while you have it out and clean the contacts so you don't have to pull it again to do that later. Just lay it flat on a table to take the screws out, there is one bit on the end that can pop out but it's otherwise mechanically simple inside.

That doesn't address the switch mechanism in it for the wipers though, that is accessed through the end cap on the lever. The pin and spring in it can come flying out so you have to be careful not to lose them. More info here:
Intermittent (Phantom) Windshield Wiper Fix

Thanks for all that! I sent back the second switch and bought a used switch from a 2000 Explorer, so far so good exempt that I think the wiper motor is getting stuck in park position on colder mornings. Seems like when temp goes below 50, wipers wont come on until half way to work. Guess I will swap the wiper motor next before winter hits!

Thanks again!

I would check for voltage at the motor when it won't work, just in case the cold temp is causing an intermittent contact or relay problem...

The genuine Motorcraft (new instead of rebuilt) motors are getting hard to find and tend to cost over $100, and I wonder about the quality/lifespan of the aftermarket brands available. Here are the Motorcraft motor part #'s for an '00:

JU2Z-17508-ARM, WM-644-??????, 6L5Z17508AA, F7CZ17508AA, F7SZ17508AA, F7UZ17508AA, F87Z17508AB, F8SZ17508AA, ZZP067350, 1F8067350, 1F8067350A, 1F8067350R00, 1F8067350R0A

I got those off Rock Auto's generic parts info, equivalent parts lists.

I replaced the wiper motor, problem still exists. Both problems actually. This morning the wipers didn;t function until I was almost at work. After some research on forums, I'm almost certain its the GEM. Other people had similiar problems in cold temps. The vehicle in forum was a '97, so no GEM module reprogramming was needed. Will my 2000 need reprogramming if I swap modules with a same year, similarly equipped vehicle?

I swapped the GEM in my 00 Mountaineer, with no reprogramming.

I have a FoMoCo GEM sitting if you need one.

As long as a replacement GEM is from the same year, make, model with the same accessories there is no need to reprogram. You should replace the old one with one of the same number if you can.

Thanks for the replies, at the risk of jinxing myself, I'll say that I reseated the connectors for the GEM and so far no issues at all. If only the power supply to the radio display was as easy a fix...

Back