Strange vibrating sound only when cold out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange vibrating sound only when cold out

Zeromarine

Reaction score
City, State
Kamloops B.C
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport Trac xlt
Haven’t had my 2002 sport trac very long and it was -8c this am and going about 40km and doing light acceleration I could hear a vibrating type noise. Like say a metal rod vibrating against a piece of metal it sounds like. Never heard it before only in this cold. It went away by the time I got to work. But it seems to be a certain speeds and rpm and only with cold temps. Any ideas I could look at ? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked your oil? Have you changed it since you got it?

Might be too thick of a viscosity for colder temps, and the pump cant pick it up out of the pan properly.

You might have one or more welds broken on the heat shields on the exhaust. Just follow the exhaust and check for looseness.

Ya just changed it a couple weeks ago to synthetic. No noise at idle just when going at a slower speed and lightly accelerating. It went away in a couple min.

regarding the heat shields that’s kinda what it sounds like. Makes sense in the cold. And not when it’s warm out.
I’ll check this weekend when I have a chance.

Other then that I could be anything lol

thanks !

Only when cold
Sound like quiet change in your pocket
Or sound like keys in the ignition shaking
Quickly

Like a ting Ting. Ting .......Ting ta ting

Heard at about 1000 rpm pulling out the driveway

It’s more only when I’m going about 20-40km a hour doing light acceleration.
The sound to me is like say a stiff metal cable vibrating against something not really metallic sound.
It’s more of a buzzing sound then anything

wait overnight for the explorer to cool down, then whack the exhaust pipe in different spots with the ball of your hand, listen for the buzz-rattle. Could also be loose material inside cats so hit them also. Use your hand, anything harder will cover up the shield rattle.

I suppose it could really be a stiff metal cable like your parking brake, or a brake line, or fuel line or exhaust itself if the hanger has broken or some road debris impact caused a bend to make it sit against something else, but I wouldn't go poking and pushing the fuel or brake line unless you're prepared to replace it, if it is now brittle from rust, but if it is then it is probably due to be replaced.

I hate to say it but I think it's the front jackshaft tensioner. Imo been there

Any idea of the noise location? Front/middle/rear/left/right?

To me it sounds like it’s either from the cowl area, or right in the middle of the hood area.
Ya it just seems like a buzzing noise. The noise is consistent when you press the gas pedal to accelerate. You don’t really hear it when going a consistent speed. And when you press the gas it doesn’t get any louder either. It could be the cowl buzzing against the window but I don’t think it’s that. It’s only got 94,000 miles so low mileage. hard to say guys.

IMG_20140316_184332.jpg

Had my baby since 2008 with 166,000 miles. Yesterday morning at 14 degrees F, this same issue happened.
Once I accelerate to 20mph that noise happens, then as it accelerates higher, it just stops.
When engine is all warmed up, no more noises. Very strange indeed.

View attachment 175159
Had my baby since 2008 with 166,000 miles. Yesterday morning at 14 degrees F, this same issue happened.
Once I accelerate to 20mph that noise happens, then as it accelerates higher, it just stops.
When engine is all warmed up, no more noises. Very strange indeed.

very nice looking !
Ya same higher speed it goes away. Well I’m not alone I will probably just deal with it as it doesn’t last long at all. And only in the cold. Strange for sure

I’ll check around on a few things this weekend. If all seems well I’m at a loss. may least it only lasts for a few min. Also it doesn’t seem to be hurting anything. Jason x, let me know if you find anything either ? Thanks

Give this a try: apply a small amount of lube/grease to the surface of the rubber hood bumpers that makes contact to the hood when it is closed.
I have had two of my cars do this in the past, only when it was cold out, well, cold for FLorida anyway.

Look into the tensioner as stated above
A little reading won't hurt

Look into the tensioner as stated above
A little reading won't hurt

The timing chain front tensioner ?
It doesn’t sound like that at all it’s not a rattle sound or grinding. Etc. You can’t make it happen when you rev it up at idle.
To me it’s a resonance thing. At a certain speed and rpm the engine has a resonance that’s causing something to buzz more in the cold. I’ll poke around this weekend.

I was actually thinking it may be the hood. Stiff rubber etc. mid I press down on the hood it squeaks on the driver side. I’ll try some silicone lube and see. Or some stick on fabric tape to take up the space possibly.
Strange it would make a buzzing noise though but it’s possible.

Good luck

I have been in your exact position
Took me a long time to figure it out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya I’ll keep a eye on it thanks

Back