Is the large portrait screen worth it in a platinum trim? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the large portrait screen worth it in a platinum trim?

blagrata

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I am going to order a Platinum trim Explorer. I'm not particularly interested in massaging seats or two extra speakers (which are included in the technology package). I actually like the lower profile look of the standard 8 inch screen. Does anyone know of any loss of functionality with the smaller screen? I kind of don't care for how the backup camera uses a smaller portion of the 10 inch screen... and a lot of space is wasted. I have seen the 8 inch screen in an XLT trim... and liked it... but just wondering if there are any compatibility issues with the 360 cam feature or anything else that comes on the higher trim level. Every Platinum at the dealers seems to have the larger screen on it. Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am going to order a Platinum trim Explorer. I'm not particularly interested in massaging seats or two extra speakers (which are included in the technology package). I actually like the lower profile look of the standard 8 inch screen. Does anyone know of any loss of functionality with the smaller screen? I kind of don't care for how the backup camera uses a smaller portion of the 10 inch screen... and a lot of space is wasted. I have seen the 8 inch screen in an XLT trim... and liked it... but just wondering if there are any compatibility issues with the 360 cam feature or anything else that comes on the higher trim level. Every Platinum at the dealers seems to have the larger screen on it. Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts.

I test drove with both screens. I thought regular landscape mode screen looks like it belongs there. It was a little bit faster responding and it looks like the whole system is designed for the regular screen better then portrait orientated. Backup cam is utilized in a full screen and everything seems to fit just right in the landscape regular screen.

Have your dealership call Ford corporate to find out if there will be any changes to portrait screen, nope, not for at least 2 years my dealership told me.

After driving both I decided I had to have the Portrait screen. Couldn't get it without the fancy seats. I've been driving the platinum for about two weeks I'm pleased with the larger format and doubt now that I would be happy with the 8" screen. Still haven't used the massage gimmick but the AC is working well here in AZ.

After driving both I decided I had to have the Portrait screen. Couldn't get it without the fancy seats. I've been driving the platinum for about two weeks I'm pleased with the larger format and doubt now that I would be happy with the 8" screen. Still haven't used the massage gimmick but the AC is working well here in AZ.

The massaging seats are not a gimmick.

The massaging seats are great. The portrait screen not so much. Seems to me that the only thing that takes advantage of the screen is the built in nav. Anything else and I would prefer the smaller screen.

After a while, the portrait screen grew on me and I kind of like it.

I've used both and like the size of the portrait. Although some disagree, I believe Ford will modify the layout of it in time and maximize the use of it.

I could complain about the 12"cluster as well.. spacing and lack of usability annoys me.

All the portrait needs is carplay or android auto to occupy more of the screen and I would be very happy. As is, I do wish I had the 8" screen.

I took a Nautilus for a test drive today and found that the 8" screen would be better if it was tilted a bit toward the driver. Getting an Aviator for a test drive tomorrow but I'm thinking it is likely the same setup.

Peter

I took a Nautilus for a test drive today and found that the 8" screen would be better if it was tilted a bit toward the driver. Getting an Aviator for a test drive tomorrow but I'm thinking it is likely the same setup.

Peter

Nautilus is in the dash (interior was never refreshed so the center stack looks old and dated) and th Aviator is stuck out (floatingl. I bet you will like it better.

Lincoln Aviator is a great Platinum alternative IMO with a great looking interior and a great looking horizontal screen.

The Reserve level which includes some nice options isnt much more than the Platinum if you stay away from alot of options....and has a 4/48 warranty....with the 400 hp ST motor.

Something to consider if you hate the vertical screen like I do.

Lincoln Aviator is a great Platinum alternative IMO with a great looking interior and a great looking horizontal screen.

The Reserve level which includes some nice options isnt much more than the Platinum if you stay away from alot of options....and has a 4/48 warranty....with the 400 hp ST motor.

Something to consider if you hate the vertical screen like I do.

4yr/50k not 48k.. and also has a 6yr/70k powertrain. But all that does not matter if one plans to get a ESP.

BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT: Unless you're Hades bent on getting a Ford product, in particular an Explorer, I would recommend giving due diligence to seriously examining other makes.

I have a 2017 Platinum. Recently read an article that reviewed and compared a similarly equipped Explorer, Kia (Telluride), and Hundai (Palisade). Synopsis was if you want a sporty vehicle in terms of acceleration and handling, get the Ford. If you want a superior interior and infotainment package, don't get the Ford. I have not personally reviewed or tested either of the other 2 vehicles, but would say overall, I'm guessing there might be something to this review. I'm a 3rd generation Ford person and have never really shopped around for that reason and started both our kids on Ford's. They have since both bailed to other makes, primarily because of what the review points out. Our son works in IT, so he is keenly aware of of the infotainment short comings plus he's part of that generation that WILL buy a vehicle because it has a nicer interface for the infotainment system despite possible shortcomings of the vehicles main purpose being for getting from point A to B. I will say I love my 2003 F250 and 1963 Falcon immensely, but when the time comes to replace the Explorer, we'll seriously take a look around. BTW, I think the reviewers compared going from the Ford interior to the other 2 as analogous with going from a Motel 6 to a Hilton. :) As tested, the Ford was still 3/36K warranty while the others are 10/100K. Never understood why Ford hasn't offered a better package in that department, specifically matching other manufacturers 10/100K. I shouldn't have to buy an ESP for a vehicle that stickers for over $50K.

Seats - we wound up with the Platinum package 100% because of the seats. We're both wide bottomed and the wider seat allows us to easily fit without sitting on part of the seat frame in the less wide model's bolsters (the sides). After logging a few thousand hours sitting on basically a metal topped pan in a jet's ejection seat, I didn't particularly want to sit on metal again with the "non fancy" version of seats. We both find the seats extremely comfortable. Don't know about the 2020 versions. I will also say if you use the vehicle for long trips that I'd define as over 3-4 hours before stopping to refuel, the massage feature isn't horrible, but not sure it's worth the money. Many other things I'd rather have in the interior. Simple things like quality carpeting and floor mats (might also help with the sound/noise). The bottom massage is better than the lumbar/back portion. Again, sitting in a jet on ocean crossings or long desert missions over 8-10 hours where you basically can't move, we "invented" things like this Ford massaging seat to keep the blood flowing in our extremities.

On the wish list for most makes, I'm not sure when we'll see the main infotainment systems move to where current instrument clusters are and eventually to heads up displays like a few makes/models have. Our system locks out several features once the car is in motion for safety reasons which I'm sure have been driven by legal scenarios. If Ford along with other makers were really concerned about safety, they'd get rid of what I call the frustration factor with infotainment which is a massive contributor to distracted driving. Comparing my systems nav mech and voice commands to commercial off the shelf systems like Google makes it extremely easy to see what is possible with today's tech. I've said at present, I'd buy a vehicle with a giant, laptop PC sized screen mounted where most infotainment screens are if it only functioned as a repeater for my phone.

Sorry about the rambling. I don't get on here very often, so usually have a lot to say when I do post.

Happy upcoming Vet's Day! :troops:

BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT: Unless you're Hades bent on getting a Ford product, in particular an Explorer, I would recommend giving due diligence to seriously examining other makes.

I have a 2017 Platinum. Recently read an article that reviewed and compared a similarly equipped Explorer, Kia (Telluride), and Hundai (Palisade). Synopsis was if you want a sporty vehicle in terms of acceleration and handling, get the Ford. If you want a superior interior and infotainment package, don't get the Ford. I have not personally reviewed or tested either of the other 2 vehicles, but would say overall, I'm guessing there might be something to this review. I'm a 3rd generation Ford person and have never really shopped around for that reason and started both our kids on Ford's. They have since both bailed to other makes, primarily because of what the review points out. Our son works in IT, so he is keenly aware of of the infotainment short comings plus he's part of that generation that WILL buy a vehicle because it has a nicer interface for the infotainment system despite possible shortcomings of the vehicles main purpose being for getting from point A to B. I will say I love my 2003 F250 and 1963 Falcon immensely, but when the time comes to replace the Explorer, we'll seriously take a look around. BTW, I think the reviewers compared going from the Ford interior to the other 2 as analogous with going from a Motel 6 to a Hilton. :) As tested, the Ford was still 3/36K warranty while the others are 10/100K. Never understood why Ford hasn't offered a better package in that department, specifically matching other manufacturers 10/100K. I shouldn't have to buy an ESP for a vehicle that stickers for over $50K.

Seats - we wound up with the Platinum package 100% because of the seats. We're both wide bottomed and the wider seat allows us to easily fit without sitting on part of the seat frame in the less wide model's bolsters (the sides). After logging a few thousand hours sitting on basically a metal topped pan in a jet's ejection seat, I didn't particularly want to sit on metal again with the "non fancy" version of seats. We both find the seats extremely comfortable. Don't know about the 2020 versions. I will also say if you use the vehicle for long trips that I'd define as over 3-4 hours before stopping to refuel, the massage feature isn't horrible, but not sure it's worth the money. Many other things I'd rather have in the interior. Simple things like quality carpeting and floor mats (might also help with the sound/noise). The bottom massage is better than the lumbar/back portion. Again, sitting in a jet on ocean crossings or long desert missions over 8-10 hours where you basically can't move, we "invented" things like this Ford massaging seat to keep the blood flowing in our extremities.

On the wish list for most makes, I'm not sure when we'll see the main infotainment systems move to where current instrument clusters are and eventually to heads up displays like a few makes/models have. Our system locks out several features once the car is in motion for safety reasons which I'm sure have been driven by legal scenarios. If Ford along with other makers were really concerned about safety, they'd get rid of what I call the frustration factor with infotainment which is a massive contributor to distracted driving. Comparing my systems nav mech and voice commands to commercial off the shelf systems like Google makes it extremely easy to see what is possible with today's tech. I've said at present, I'd buy a vehicle with a giant, laptop PC sized screen mounted where most infotainment screens are if it only functioned as a repeater for my phone.

Sorry about the rambling. I don't get on here very often, so usually have a lot to say when I do post.

Happy upcoming Vet's Day! :troops:

You dont have to buy an ESP. There is a reason the Korean vehicles have a 10/100k (and it is powertrain only, not bumper to bumper) and that is due to it being Korean.

Majority of vehicles do not have major powertrain issues in the 1st 100k. It's all the stupid crap and electronic crap that usually craps out. And it is that stupid stuff that is only covered by b2b.

You dont have to buy an ESP. There is a reason the Korean vehicles have a 10/100k (and it is powertrain only, not bumper to bumper) and that is due to it being Korean.

Majority of vehicles do not have major powertrain issues in the 1st 100k. It's all the stupid crap and electronic crap that usually craps out. And it is that stupid stuff that is only covered by b2b.

Got it. Thanks for the info. Exactly what I have experienced with my F250; nothing major and 160K. The unfortunate part about any warranty, vehicle or otherwise, is darn near needing a legal degree to understand them and in the end, my general experience has been most aren't worth the paper they're written on. Yes, my grandpa will roll over in his grave if I ever wind up with something other than a Ford:(

To Viper Driver's point, if that's the case then it wouldn't cost Ford anything at all to add that extra warranty coverage but would make it an easier comparison by removing any perceived benefit to Kia/Hyundai.

To Viper Driver's point, if that's the case then it wouldn't cost Ford anything at all to add that extra warranty coverage but would make it an easier comparison by removing any perceived benefit to Kia/Hyundai.

Why when nobody else does it but Koreans? Koreans did it to try and build their brand and promote that they are better than what they were. They needed this to entice people to give them a try (and frankly I still believe they need it). That's not needed for the other manufacturers (and I am not talking just Ford).

It would cost them in ESP sales.

Peter

Hey guys, I'll take the hit for probably getting this thread a tad off topic which was Blagrata asking about the differences in screen sizes and possible limitations. My bottom line was a recommendation to comparison shop if the infotainment/interior features is an important part of your purchase decision. The problem comes just as it does with buying anything; comparison shopping and getting a true apples to apples comparison. IMO it's virtually impossible if comparing 3/36 with 10/100. Even if they were both the same the devil is always in the details. Some day when everything has a sensor on it, we'll be able to better comparison shop assuming the sensor data is released, unchanged by the manufacturers. I have a feeling by the time that happens in the automotive industry, I'll either be dead or drinking my coffee in the back seat while the vehicle drives me from the old folks home to visit my kids.

Since my recommendation was basically to check out the competition to the Explorer, I'd be curious to know if there is any data other than anecdotal "gut feelings" about where some of the competitors are in their product improvement. How often does a new Ford wind up in the shop vs a Kia or ???? That info probably doesn't exit and if it does has probably been given a slanted opinion to make the other guy look worse. BTW, doesn't everybody have the best selling car in America ;) If you're old enough to remember the early days of many foreign products, they were junk and everybody knew it but eventually many have worked there way in to being some of the top of the line equipment on the planet. That was true for cars (Honda) and many musical instruments just to name a few things. It makes me wonder where, in the similar vehicles mentioned in the review I read (Telluride & Palisade), these vehicles are in terms of that improvement cycle. I'm guessing when they started off, they weren't the best, but I have no firm data to prove that just like I don't have any data that says they still are subpar or equal footing when compared to the U.S. big 3. If somebody has that info, it might be worth starting a thread devoted to that discussion (maybe it already exists.) I will add a single data point about Hyundai in particular. My father in law drives a loaded, top of the line Hyundai car. In one word, I'd describe it as awesome. That's tough for a Ford guy like myself to say/type...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Small Screen is better in every way except for when using built in navigation. I’ve got a 2020 Platinum with tech Package and I’m annoyed by the screen’s lack of functions, but I had to have the massage seats.

The small screen has a better implementation of backup cam + 360 cam, but it’s still not as good as it should be. There’s no individual camera control for parking, and you can’t use it while you’re over ~3mph. It’d be helpful for pulling up next to a curb to have a viewer bigger than 1 square inch.

The worst part of the large screen (besides people asking me seriously if I put a personal tablet on the dash) is the Apple CarPlay implementation. It’s a tiny section of the screen that’s much smaller than the standard screen’s CarPlay. SYNC has great phone/Siri implementation elsewhere so this is a head scratcher.

If Ford updated SYNC to address just one of these aspects it’d be a huge improvement. As of now there’s no practical advantage to the portrait screen, especially considering it’s nearly impossible to enter an address on the native nav.

Back