2014 explorer base model upgrade tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 explorer base model upgrade tires

solsrf68

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer base
i have a 2014 base model that i put on 265/60/17 Goodyear eagles (little wider than the stock ones)
I want to go to more of an aggressive look. Can anyone recommend any?
thank you in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
You could always install some all-terrain tires for a really aggressive look but living in Florida, I don't know if you actually need them. In some cases an "aggressive" tire can result in lower mpg. Have you checked out a site like Tire Rack? There are several "eagles" so I don't know which one you are referring to. Have you looked at Goodyear's 'Wrangler' line of tires?

Peter

If you're driving it on the beach or in a swamp you could go with mudders.

i have a 2014 base model that i put on 265/60/17 Goodyear eagles (little wider than the stock ones)
I want to go to more of an aggressive look. Can anyone recommend any?
thank you in advance
I have a 2014 and I thought the only two tire sizes were 18" & 20"?

^ Yes, AFAIK the base tires and wheels should've been 245/60R18 and 18" x 8.0".

Okay, what was the stock tire size, 245/65R17? Peterk9 is going to insist you should stay within 3% of the stock wheel size, while the rest of us have more mixed feelings about that.

Do you want aggressive to mean a taller sidewall or just the tread, or both?

Do you accept that more aggressive is going to sacrifice handling, on-road traction, stopping distance particularly on wet/ice/hard-packed snow? It will be a downgrade when you wrote "upgrade" on anything other than off-road performance or deep, loose-pack snow, but will ride a bit softer if you inflate to a PSI appropriate to the vehicle weight, meaning a larger tire needs less PSI to wear evenly, which also reduces handling and fuel economy.

Anyway, you might be able to fit a 265/70R17 on it, something like a BFG KO2, but if you have the base model with only FWD, I don't see the point as it's not going to be good for off-roading so you are sacrificing all the on-road benefits of non-A/T, street tires just for looks.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=67SR7KO2&tab=Sizes

hi the base model comes with 17' rims limited and sport comes with 20' and the XLT comes with 18
Base comes with 18" standard, as does the XLT. XLT with the Sport Appearance Package, Limited, Sport, and Platinum trims all get 20" I believe, but with different designs.

^ I checked Tire Rack and they show a base model had the 17" as 245/65R17, though it wouldn't surprise me at all if that was a rare bird and most showed up on dealer lots with the 18" wheels in an options package.

^ I checked Tire Rack and they show a base model had the 17" as 245/65R17, though it wouldn't surprise me at all if that was a rare bird and most showed up on dealer lots with the 18" wheels in an options package.
Order guides are usually more accurate for factory settings.
Pretty sure 18" was min across the generation

^ There are multiple sources that show 17" was an option. It should also be noted that the 17" had a narrower 7.5" rim. However it may be beside the point... if 17" is what solsrf68 has and wants to use, it doesn't really matter if they were stock as long as they clear the calipers and have a close enough offset, and bolt pattern which we can assume since they are on the vehicle. :)

Ford Explorer 2014 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs

Okay, what was the stock tire size, 245/65R17? Peterk9 is going to insist you should stay within 3% of the stock wheel size, while the rest of us have more mixed feelings about that.

Do you want aggressive to mean a taller sidewall or just the tread, or both?

Do you accept that more aggressive is going to sacrifice handling, on-road traction, stopping distance particularly on wet/ice/hard-packed snow? It will be a downgrade when you wrote "upgrade" on anything other than off-road performance or deep, loose-pack snow, but will ride a bit softer if you inflate to a PSI appropriate to the vehicle weight, meaning a larger tire needs less PSI to wear evenly, which also reduces handling and fuel economy.

Anyway, you might be able to fit a 265/70R17 on it, something like a BFG KO2, but if you have the base model with only FWD, I don't see the point as it's not going to be good for off-roading so you are sacrificing all the on-road benefits of non-A/T, street tires just for looks.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=67SR7KO2&tab=Sizes

thanks for all your replies. yes stock is 245/65/17...but I currently have Goodyear Eagle RSA 265/60R17 on it (for the past year bought them used time for new ones)
yes aggressive as in both tread and maybe a bit taller. how much more will i be sacrificing in means of handling and stopping on the road in wet and dry conditions than what im using currently? I was looking at Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 all-terrain tire comes in both 265/70R17 and my original stock size 245/65R/17. You are right im not off roading I just like the look of more aggressive style of tire. Ive uploaded a few pics of my explorer along with the yokohama tire. thanks !
explorer.jpeg
explorer2.jpeg

tire.jpeg
Yokohama Geolandar A_T G015 all_ Season Radial Tire-245_6_ - www.amazon.com.png

The 265/70R17 is not recommended as it exceeds the nominal maximum diameter difference (3%) of the OEM by more than double (7%). The extra weight could have adverse effects on the braking system and suspension as well as systems like ABS and Traction Control. Although tires of the same size may vary somewhat in diameter, I would think a 7% increase is fairly substantial. Your vehicle, your choice.

Peter

The 265/70R17 is not recommended as it exceeds the nominal maximum diameter difference (3%) of the OEM by more than double (7%). The extra weight could have adverse effects on the braking system and suspension as well as systems like ABS and Traction Control. Although tires of the same size may vary somewhat in diameter, I would think a 7% increase is fairly substantial. Your vehicle, your choice.

Peter
thanks for quick reply
so going from 265/60r/17 to a 265/70r/17, that 10 cm in height will make that much a difference? So going back to the orignal size 245/65r/17 in the Yokohamas will be more sufficient and safe ? t
thank you

The comparison was with the 245/65R17 which is the OEM size. The 265/60R17 you have now is an identical match to the 245/65R17. Here is a site you can use to play around with sizes. It is not an exact science but a comparison to give one an idea of how different sizes stack up. The Yokohama in either size should be good. A 265/65R17 would put you right at 3%. The sizing tool is a guideline because tires if the same size but different brands may vary slightly in diameter.
Tire size calculator: compare tires online

Peter

The comparison was with the 245/65R17 which is the OEM size. The 265/60R17 you have now is an identical match to the 245/65R17. Here is a site you can use to play around with sizes. It is not an exact science but a comparison to give one an idea of how different sizes stack up. The Yokohama in either size should be good. A 265/65R17 would put you right at 3%. The sizing tool is a guideline because tires if the same size but different brands may vary slightly in diameter.
Tire size calculator: compare tires online

Peter
thank you so much for all this info...i truly
appreciate all your knowlege and help

Back