I hate my 13's projectors, any ideas for replacements? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I hate my 13's projectors, any ideas for replacements?

seth matthews

Reaction score
City, State
OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
So, I have a 13 explorer with the projectors, I absolutely hate those things, the light pattern sucks and I can't see a thing out of them. I've changed the bulbs but no help. I've adjusted them as best I can but no real improvement. My 04 explorer had better headlights in it. I'd prefer to go back to halogen but I'm open for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My halogens with projectors sucked too but I upgraded the halogens and it's a night and day difference. What halogens did you upgrade to?

Sylvania Xtravision I think it was. is there an upgrade for the projectors?

Sylvania Xtravision I think it was. is there an upgrade for the projectors?
If you want to do a proper retrofit, you can get HID housing but they aren't cheap. Several members have gone the HID plug and play which is must less expensive but not an ideal solution. Installing LED bulbs in the current housings, if that's possible, will give you more light but still won't be perfect due to the nature of the way the light is produced and focused.

Peter

I couldn't believe the stock headlamps when I bought my Ex. How anyone drives at night or in the rain with those....?!?!?

I have had good results, for 3 years, with LED bulbs in both the headlamps and foglamps.

My advice would be only use bulbs with either 3 or 4 sides of LED's. The ones with two sides will completely mess with the beam pattern

If you want to do a proper retrofit, you can get HID housing but they aren't cheap. Several members have gone the HID plug and play which is must less expensive but not an ideal solution. Installing LED bulbs in the current housings, if that's possible, will give you more light but still won't be perfect due to the nature of the way the light is produced and focused.

Peter
A full HID retrofit is possible to DIY and would cost around $2-300 to do.

I couldn't believe the stock headlamps when I bought my Ex. How anyone drives at night or in the rain with those....?!?!?

I have had good results, for 3 years, with LED bulbs in both the headlamps and foglamps.

My advice would be only use bulbs with either 3 or 4 sides of LED's. The ones with two sides will completely mess with the beam pattern

Got any output/cutoff photos?

Got any output/cutoff photos?

yup :)

https://i.ibb.co/7XbscW1/IMG-1639.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

Back