2002 Ford Explorer XLT with a flashing O/D light. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer XLT with a flashing O/D light.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JoJo here. Wondering if anyone has replaced the torque converter itself? I've had the same issues with the wife's 01 explorer 4x XLT. I have replaced the valve body gasket, all the solenoids as well as filter and fluid. Prior to all that i was throwing a code for 3rd gear shift solenoid which cause xplr to rev high and "lurch" at around 35 mph or so. Occasionally the tranny would kick out of o/d causing the light to flash. Turning car off cleared it and everything worked fine.
Now the only issue is o/d flashing and xplr has little to no power from a stop. Shifting to D2 helps as I've read in other posts. I've been told this my be the t/c but want to know what some of you think. Thanks.

Got the solenoid pack today in the mail, swapped it with the old one and it shifts perfect through all the gears. No problems so far and no o/d light flashing.
Do you still have the pdf files for the servo replacement? If so, I would love to have a copy.

Pat

Sorry Pat. I never received any PDF files for the servos.

Mike

Thank you Mike, there is apparently more to what is going on than just the servo pack. Once again in the shop.

I have a 2002 ford explorer the od light flashes fast and all drive gears take off in high gear but reverse works fine so I changed the solenoid pack it done the same thing I ended up changing the whole transmission with a used one that came out a wrecked explorer same year........doing the same thing as the old one takes off in high all the drive gears but will spin the tires in reverse what will cause this????

I have a 2002 ford explorer the od light flashes fast and all drive gears take off in high gear but reverse works fine so I changed the solenoid pack it done the same thing I ended up changing the whole transmission with a used one that came out a wrecked explorer same year........doing the same thing as the old one takes off in high all the drive gears but will spin the tires in reverse what will cause this????

Check for a blown or missing fuse 37 15A in the engine compartment fuse box. Fuse 37 feeds power to all the transmission solenoids, and should be hot whenever the key is on.

Check for a blown or missing fuse 37 15A in the engine compartment fuse box. Fuse 37 feeds power to all the transmission solenoids, and should be hot whenever the key is on.
OK !! ya ...IM new , already introduced myself ,, same old story , same old song . OD light flashing ,, and it could be for at least 5 different reasons ... mine is a long story ,, I will try to make it short ,... but this is weird . about 3 months ago , I .... (cough cough ) had MR. Lube , a drive through outfit , talk me into doing a pan drop , and I know that they did the engine oil change , but they conned me on the pan drop and even showed me a dummy pan with a clean magnet , and told me that they had no new filter or gasket , but they could use gasket compound and clean my filter . My ATF was dark but clear. Anyway , just a week ago , I did my own pan drop, with new gasket and filter , and I found the old original gasket on the tranny , and looks to be one of the reusable ones , but I installed the new one that came with my filter kit. I also found the magnet to be totally caked big time with crud .The color of my ATF is now 75% pink and smells great . I previously also sucked out 2 qts and replaced 1.5 qrts to perfect level, so I have about 6 out of 10 qrts changed . I have had the blinking OD on and of and yes it is after the tranny heats up ., before I did my own pan drop . So , after I was done , I went for a ride , 2.5 miles , in city , and whoa !! OD light starts blinking , so I stop, and turn off engine , then after 5 minutes I start engine , and check the ATF . Wen I pulled the dipstick ,, I felt a big rush of heat , and a burnt smell .
It was like the tranny monster jumped out and breathed on me !! So I clean the stick , and recheck , and , no heat , and also ATF smells great !! . So I continues on all the way to the west end of city , and I felt my truck running just amazingly beautiful with NO blinking OD light at all . Since then , I have drivin a lot in the city and still no OD blinking., but I have not been out on the highway yet , I figure that it will start blinking again , and that I need servo valve work .
What is weird is that now my engine temp gauge is not moving up from the zero mark but when I turn off the engine ,, the needle drops about 1/2 inch . Winter just suddenly moved in and temp went down below freezing .
Last night I went for smoke run , and the Brake light on dash gauge went on !! What ?? I got got brand new brakes , and I tested them to make sure that they worked. When I got to the store ,, my Brake warning light went out , upon engine shutdown but it stayed OFF after engine restart.
So , all in all im gonna start troubleshoot from fuses , to tranny cooling , to breather , etc ,...but im pretty sure it will end up as a servo problem ,, not to mention the solenoid also . My truck is a 2001 explorer 2 door sport utility 4WD.
Anyway you people at this forum are helping me learn a lot ,,, and thank you .

OK !! ya ...IM new , already introduced myself ,, same old story , same old song . OD light flashing ,, and it could be for at least 5 different reasons ... mine is a long story ,, I will try to make it short ,... but this is weird . about 3 months ago , I .... (cough cough ) had MR. Lube , a drive through outfit , talk me into doing a pan drop , and I know that they did the engine oil change , but they conned me on the pan drop and even showed me a dummy pan with a clean magnet , and told me that they had no new filter or gasket , but they could use gasket compound and clean my filter . My ATF was dark but clear. Anyway , just a week ago , I did my own pan drop, with new gasket and filter , and I found the old original gasket on the tranny , and looks to be one of the reusable ones , but I installed the new one that came with my filter kit. I also found the magnet to be totally caked big time with crud .The color of my ATF is now 75% pink and smells great . I previously also sucked out 2 qts and replaced 1.5 qrts to perfect level, so I have about 6 out of 10 qrts changed . I have had the blinking OD on and of and yes it is after the tranny heats up ., before I did my own pan drop . So , after I was done , I went for a ride , 2.5 miles , in city , and whoa !! OD light starts blinking , so I stop, and turn off engine , then after 5 minutes I start engine , and check the ATF . Wen I pulled the dipstick ,, I felt a big rush of heat , and a burnt smell .
It was like the tranny monster jumped out and breathed on me !! So I clean the stick , and recheck , and , no heat , and also ATF smells great !! . So I continues on all the way to the west end of city , and I felt my truck running just amazingly beautiful with NO blinking OD light at all . Since then , I have drivin a lot in the city and still no OD blinking., but I have not been out on the highway yet , I figure that it will start blinking again , and that I need servo valve work .
What is weird is that now my engine temp gauge is not moving up from the zero mark but when I turn off the engine ,, the needle drops about 1/2 inch . Winter just suddenly moved in and temp went down below freezing .
Last night I went for smoke run , and the Brake light on dash gauge went on !! What ?? I got got brand new brakes , and I tested them to make sure that they worked. When I got to the store ,, my Brake warning light went out , upon engine shutdown but it stayed OFF after engine restart.
So , all in all im gonna start troubleshoot from fuses , to tranny cooling , to breather , etc ,...but im pretty sure it will end up as a servo problem ,, not to mention the solenoid also . My truck is a 2001 explorer 2 door sport utility 4WD.
Anyway you people at this forum are helping me learn a lot ,,, and thank you .

Welcome to the site!

Before you start replacing parts it would be wise to have the transmission and the rest of the vehicle scanned for trouble codes.

The flashing OD light lets you know the computer has seen a problem with the transmission and has set a code or codes.

Once you have the codes post them up and we can help you understand what may be going on, guessing and or just replacing parts to solve problems can be very costly and time consuming.

It would be best to start your own thread for the issues you are having rather than responding to a existing thread, you will get more attention and responses that way. So when you get the codes start a new thread.

Welcome to the site!

Before you start replacing parts it would be wise to have the transmission and the rest of the vehicle scanned for trouble codes.

The flashing OD light lets you know the computer has seen a problem with the transmission and has set a code or codes.

Once you have the codes post them up and we can help you understand what may be going on, guessing and or just replacing parts to solve problems can be very costly and time consuming.

It would be best to start your own thread for the issues you are having rather than responding to a existing thread, you will get more attention and responses that way. So when you get the codes start a new thread.

Thanks for your input !!!,, I would really appreciate the decoding !!! I was planning to get a scanner , but I have to do research and find out which one will read my truck . Also I did not mention in my reply , that the previous owner was most likely using the wrong ATF . At the Mr. Lube , they told me that it looks like someone had put ATV fluid in the tranny and then I found an empty bottle that was labeled "" ATV tranny fluid "" but all that means to me is that the previous owner has an ATV .
I also found a full bottle of synthetic Platinum LV Multi Vehicle ATF and when I read the fine print on the bottle , it says that it cannot be used with applications that recommend MERCON V and MERCON SP.
My tranny requires MERCON V.
Anyway , thanks again for your advice , I might just visit a service shop and have them do a scan for me and then I will record the codes.

I would take it to someone who works on transmissions and let them scan it, drive it, check it over and if all looks good have them drop the pan to have a look. If the pan is clean with no signs of damage they can service it with the correct fluid.

Most transmission shops will check the vehicle for free, we do.

I would take it to someone who works on transmissions and let them scan it, drive it, check it over and if all looks good have them drop the pan to have a look. If the pan is clean with no signs of damage they can service it with the correct fluid.

Most transmission shops will check the vehicle for free, we do.
I just had my codes read , and it is a PO741 a TCC stuck off , and here I thought that it was a servo. Note that the OD light starts to blink only after the tranny heats up and the ATF gets thinner , so,,...I think that it is not electrical . I guess that ill start looking at valve body and solenoid pack prices , . This seems to me to be caused by a pressure drop , somewhere , when the ATF gets warm and thin , but a bad servo bore would also cause a pressure drop , so now what ?? , not to mention worn bushings in the converter itself. PO741 is the only code that came up for the tranny , along with ,...B1302 ( accessory Delay relay coil circuit fault ) ,, B1347 ( Rear Defog ) , B1398 ( left window ) My defog , and window work just fine . I had the codes read at a regular service garage , and not a specialized tranny shop . Maybe a tranny shop would detect more tranny codes . Im sure that there are more regular codes , such as throttle control , and temp sensors etc.,, that should have been detected.

The 741 code can be a few things, problems in the valve body, pump and the converter itself. Only thing you can do short of pulling it out is to replace the valve body and see what happens.

Leaking servo bores can can pressure leaks but its just for that hydraulic circuit, don't see it being the cause for the 741 code. The 5R55E doesn't suffer from worn servo bore like the 5R55S/W does.
If your vehicle has a filler tube then you have the 5R55E if no filler tube then its the 5R55S/W, you could have either one in that vehicle.

Back