Is My Transmission About to Die? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is My Transmission About to Die?

Fordential

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
I have a 2006 Explorer Limited with the 4.6L V8. It has 104,000 miles. When the car warms up and the temperatures reach operating level, the transmission starts to kick. It's this annoying, though slight, hiccup, as if something is holding you back. More concerning, is this loud grinding/vibrating noise that comes from the back. It's best described as the noise you hear when you drive on a rumble strip. Every time this "urrrgh" noise is made, I see the RPM needle move up a notch then go back down. I think this occurs around 4th to 5th gear or 5th to 6th.

When the car is cold, it shifts fine and and there is no noise. It also shifts fine when you floor it. The transmission oil was checked and it is full and clear.

So, is the transmission going bust?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What you are describing sounds like it could be the trans but it also sounds like a problem I had on my v6, a dead miss on one cylinder under load. It felt like the trans was going bad and made a rumble strip sound but not all the time isually when cold though. Long story short its was a dead miss caused by spark plug with less than 20k miles on it.

The best place to start is with a scantool pull codes if any. Codes can be active or pending/stored. Pending/stored codes will not set a light on the dash but active codes usually will (it depends on the code). I use a obdlink mx and forscan lite on my phone as my scan tool. If nothing shows up then it could be mechanical or just not setting a active or pending code (thats what happened to me had a miss with no pending or active codes).

You have a 3 valve v8. Super common for misfires caused by poor design of spark plug and getting water in coil boot holes. I'd do a full tune up before even thinking you have a transmission issue. The 6R trans is a solid unit and will usually make it well over 200k.

those were the same problems I was experiencing when my mass air sensors wires cracked apart and started touching I dont know if that problem was only v6 but Im sure ford used the same crap wires across all models

Thanks for the replies. From what I have gathered, this "rumble strip" noise is a fairly common problem that occurs around 45 MPH as it does in my case. It seems as though solutions and issues range from a transmission flush, to spark plugs & coils, to torque converter shudder, to new tires. I'll take it to the dealer today to see what they say. I think I might start with a transmission flush and maybe add some Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx to it as well.

Yes the rumble strip feeling should be fixed with the transmission fluid exchange. The Mercon SP fluid does not last forever as I had one with as low as 70k miles doing the same thing. Fluid and filter fixed it. Definitely take it to the dealer for transmission service as they will used OE Fluid. Smaller shops like to use a "universal" fluid which won't exactly match the spec of Mercon SP.

Any jerking, bucking or hesitation is going to be spark plug related though. Ford is on its 4th revision of the 3v spark plug trying to get them to last more than 60k.

Thanks for the replies. From what I have gathered, this "rumble strip" noise is a fairly common problem that occurs around 45 MPH as it does in my case. It seems as though solutions and issues range from a transmission flush, to spark plugs & coils, to torque converter shudder, to new tires. I'll take it to the dealer today to see what they say. I think I might start with a transmission flush and maybe add some Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx to it as well.

Do some research here, the six speed with the 4.6 can NOT be flushed! I had a Ford Dealer tell me on the phone it could be done. When I got there and the Tech started researching, the shop manual says not to.
They would do a pan drop, refill, run it for 20 minutes and repeat the pan drop.
At $167 per hour, it would have run close to $600. Seattle area.
I am going to drill a hole in the bottom of the pan, let it drain, remove and put a drain plug on it. That way I can just drain and refill easily.

Sounds like TC cycling accompanied by TC shudder. Download forscan and take a peak at the mode 6 data. That will point you toward any misfires. Unlikely the trans is going bust.

An update: I have three cylinder misfires and need new spark plugs and coils due to coercion. This is likely causing the kicking and change in RPMs. The "rumble strip" noise is torque converter shudder. Also, with O/D off the noise goes away. I'll try to alleviate the problem with an additive.

I too had the rumble strip issue about two years ago. I kept scanning for misfires and never got any. It seemed to always happen around 45 and always with overdrive turned on. At about 100K, I dropped the pan and changed the filter and refilled the transmission. The rumble strip issue went away immediately. The key here is what I noticed after this in terms of drivability. It used to take a very firm push on the gas at around 45 to get the transmission to downshift. Now, it will downshift much easier. No more going up hills at 45 with light throttle in overdrive. It will now shift out more easily. Basically, because of the transmission, I was unintentionally lugging my engine in those situations.

Figure out the misfires and change the transmission fluid and filter. It shouldn't be shuddering.
If you don't want to spend money throwing coils at it you can swap them around with a known good coil and see if the misfire follows the suspected bad coil. I'd suspect the spark plugs first if they're original.

I experienced a similar issue with my Explorer shuddering around 35-45 MPH. I had a code for a coil. Had mechanic replace spark plug and coil and has run fine since.

Back