Condensation on inside glass | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Condensation on inside glass

tbird462002

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Anyone else having issues with a serious amount of condensation on the inside glass?

It's literally enough where it's going to start forming ice on the inside once it gets cold enough. We're hovering just above freezing in the mornings right now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only time I have ever had that (not on my ST yet) is if a window was cracked open

Have you checked to see if you have wet carpets or water infiltration somewhere? That is usually a sign of high humidity.

Peter

Anyone else having issues with a serious amount of condensation on the inside glass

@tbird462002

Assuming you're talking about the windshield, have you washed it recently OR has it rained recently?

Could be a bad windshield seal job...

@tbird462002

Assuming you're talking about the windshield,
Could be a bad windshield seal job...

Or the sunroof. All manufacturer's have issues with the sunroofs. The drains malfunction for various reasons and allow moisture inside the vehicle.

I'm checking today to see if I can find water somewhere. As I expected there's ice on the entire length of the moonroof glass this morning and with the heat on water droplets are hitting my kids.

I hate this damn car, what a piece of crap for 60k. I think it's gonna be time to get a lawyer involved.

My wife mentioned the car was smelling like musty/moldy the other week when I was away for work. Coincidentally my 6 month old now has pneumonia.

Connected? Maybe, maybe not but just seems too coincidental.

Anyone else having issues with a serious amount of condensation on the inside glass?

It's literally enough where it's going to start forming ice on the inside once it gets cold enough. We're hovering just above freezing in the mornings right now.

I have had 7 Explorers from the 2004 Model to the current 2018 I am driving, and everyone of them have had this problem. On cold mornings I have to start them and run the defroster for 10 minutes before I drive off. My Explorers have all sat outside, never been garaged, so I think it's simply a problem when you start them up that the windows fog up. I have NEVER had a water leak, or anything wet inside any of the 7. I just think it has to do with how the HVAC works on these cars.

I hate this goddamn car, what a piece of crap for 60k. I think it's gonna be time to get a lawyer involved.

@tbird462002

Just sayin' - If I were in your shoes, I'd document everything like a book with accompanying Pics and Dr's Notes, and open up a claim with FORD, working towards either:

* a Fix (doubtful you'd want that now that your wife and you feel your child's health has suffered from the water intrusion problem)
* Lemon Law Claim
* or Buyback - your choice.

I don't know where you live, but your State Consumer Protection Agency will assist you if necessary.

I also think you won't have to work too hard to initiate a BUYBACK, the last thing FORD wants is a LEMON branded 2020.

FORD ultimately wants to sell the Ex, and a LEMON branding will kill even a high-interest credit sale to a bad credit customer. Everyone knows what a LEMON is...

Adding a lawyer into the equation ensures only one thing - the lawyer gets your money, and you might wind up with nothing solved.

Hope that helps, good luck, and close the loop because it's likely you're not the only one experiencing this!

@tbird462002

Just sayin' - If I were in your shoes, I'd document everything like a book with accompanying Pics and Dr's Notes, and open up a claim with FORD, working towards either:

* a Fix (doubtful you'd want that now that your wife and you feel your child's health has suffered from the water intrusion problem)
* Lemon Law Claim
* or Buyback - your choice.

I don't know where you live, but your State Consumer Protection Agency will assist you if necessary.

I also think you won't have to work too hard to initiate a BUYBACK, the last thing FORD wants is a LEMON branded 2020.

FORD ultimately wants to sell the Ex, and a LEMON branding will kill even a high-interest credit sale to a bad credit customer. Everyone knows what a LEMON is...

Adding a lawyer into the equation ensures only one thing - the lawyer gets your money, and you might wind up with nothing solved.

Hope that helps, good luck, and close the loop because it's likely you're not the only one experiencing this!

A buy back IS a lemon. The only reason a manufacturer will buy back, is a recurring or multiple issue(s). A buy back shows on the vehicle report and indicates a lemon to anyone who cares to check it. The vehicle is branded and will carry that for the life of the vehicle.

A buy back IS a lemon. The only reason a manufacturer will buy back, is a recurring or multiple issue(s). A buy back shows on the vehicle report and indicates a lemon to anyone who cares to check it. The vehicle is branded and will carry that for the life of the vehicle.

Not true. If Ford uses their RAV program, it is a ReAcquired Vehicle, not a lemon and is not branded a lemon.

Not true. If Ford uses their RAV program, it is a ReAcquired Vehicle, not a lemon and is not branded a lemon.

It doesn't matter what the particular manufacturer calls it, it's a buy back. It is branded as a buy back. Any half intelligent person understands that there was a recurring issue, or multiple issues with the vehicle. That IS a LEMON. This follows that VIN# indefinitely. Yes...it's branded. It doesn't have to expressly state lemon for the top 90% of the population.
Find any vehicle, any brand, any year, any make, that was a buy back, and run the VIN#.

Auto Check by Experian (my choice of vehicle background check) differentiates between a Buyback branded title and a Lemon branded title - they list them as two different classifications...

After a house, a car is the 2nd most emotional purchase that a consumer makes.

So much so that I can't tell you how many times the eighty percentile consumer only cares about "what's my monthly payment" versus the twenty percentile consumer that wants to know "how much am I ultimately paying for my Explorer".

In fact, it's got to the point that due to changes in consumer spending habits, most vehicle ads advertise the "typical" monthly payment charge VS how much/the total price the vehicle is priced at. In the "old days" it was just the opposite, consumers wanted to know how much a vehicle was priced at and then they saved up for the vehicle purchase - today that seems almost quaint, but I digress...

In the case of a problematic 2020 Explorer, a dealer can avoid LEMON branding an Explorer title by sucking it up and quickly buying it back.

The dealership will "Buyback" the Explorer, repair it as quickly as possible, and then market it on their used car lot as a special "one example deal - hurry before it's GONE!" It's not unheard of dealerships even going so far as offer their sales staff a special bonus for selling that particular Explorer...

Excuses for the "buyback" - for instance; Potential customers could be verbally assured that the Explorer was a "buyback/bought back" ONLY because the parts supply chain is so tight, the priority being new production vehicles, that it made it impossible to get the necessary repair parts in a required 30 day time frame. Or, they could say that during the recent GM strike, that their sub-supplier (who also supplies FORD) had to shut down production and send workers home so no spare parts were available for FORD and this particular Explorer....

These two examples of "buyback" excuses seem plausible to a highly emotional, bad credit customer who can just see themselves behind the wheel of a NEW EXPLORER for just an hour of paperwork and simply signing on the dotted line - committing oneself to 84 months. Five minutes from driving off the lot, the 2nd buyer of the Explorer will be snappin' and sendin' selfies of themselves behind the wheel of their new acquisition.

84 month car loans are the fuel of the bad credit consumer. The loss the dealer took on the 1st sale is typically MORE THAN MADE UP by the high interest loan on the 2nd "buyback title" sale.

Hence the reason with these $60K Explorers why dealers & FORD would rather suck it in and quickly buy back the vehicle rather than going through the legal process and getting it branded a LEMON. There's plenty of bad credit consumers that will jump at the "opportunity" to purchase a "buyback" 2020 Explorer for Christmas 2019 & New Year's 2020...

LEMON branded titles are a loss. They're quickly removed from taking up valuable sales space and dumped at an auction. Typically they're purchased by WHOLESALE INDEPENDENT DEALERS that utilize their own non-certified mechanics and cater to train-wreck credit customers. Every community has one - it's a used car lot that takes up two street corners and has a tiny sales office in the center of the lot.

Hope that helps -

Drive in an HVAC mode that runs the compressor in recirculation (aka "max") mode. Throw a dehumidifier in it with the doors and windows shut (a fan along side it will speed it up) or a box fan with doors and lift gate open, for several hours. Removing as much moisture as possible, ASAP, regardless of cause (leak vs wet shoes/etc, I don't think it's the HVAC setup but running the compressor will pull moisture out of the air on any vehicle) will reduce mold/fungus buildup.

Maybe you'll eventually get rid of it but until then, do what you can to remediate the situation.

Highly likely your heater core is leaking. Coolant leaks inside of heater core box and moisture is blown up on inside of windshield clouding windshield. Only takes a small leak. If leak is too big to be contained in core box it leaks down firewall under carpet. Could explain moldy smell. Replacing the core can be easy or very difficult. Not sure about Explorer.

Hi Gang
I noticed moisture inside the headlight housing lens on the day I picked up my new ST. I questioned it because I am pretty sure that my vehicle was one that took a side trip to Michigan for a few touch-ups before it got to my dealer in Wisconsin.
Salesman was sure it was the hot air in their carwash area and then coming out to the front of the dealership in 25-30 degree weather. They know I am keeping them on a short leash on this one because of the side trip to Mich.
I have noticed the moisture again at least once, so they may get to troubleshoot the issue soon.

Have any of the rest of you noticed that one?

John in Wis

Have you read page 89 of your Manual?
Condensation in the Exterior Front
Lamps and Rear Lamps

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you Peter
I guess I have large noticeable droplets as per page 89.

John
Perhaps give it a few days to see if it clears up. I don't think what you're seeing is normal.

Peter

Back