• Register Today It's free!

jerking motion/ 2008 sport trac

James Wiseman

Reaction score
City, State
Naples
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 sport trac 4.6 liter
I am getting frustrated! My 2008 4.6 sport trac jerks from 38 mph to 70. It happens when I accelerate slowly. I live in Naples Florida so about the only issue with weather is heat. I have had the transmission tested and they said it is ok. Ford garage ran a test on the engine and it was ok. I cleaned the throttle body and I got some improvement. Several days later it is getting worse. I have 92,000 miles on it and have never changed plugs or wires. Anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having almost the same issue with my '08 eddie Bauer 4.6 with 72 thousand miles. I don't have a CEL coming up, or a code pending on my scanner. Looking around the forums the thing that shows up is a bad coil. the newer 4.6 engines have coil on plug design, no wires. Check yours with a scan tool & see if you have any pending codes. Any of the parts stores should be able to run a scan free & tell you what the issue is.
I just wished mine would at least throw a code to tell me what coil is the culprit.

Good luck & keep us posted on any results

I'm having almost the same issue with my '08 eddie Bauer 4.6 with 72 thousand miles. I don't have a CEL coming up, or a code pending on my scanner. Looking around the forums the thing that shows up is a bad coil. the newer 4.6 engines have coil on plug design, no wires. Check yours with a scan tool & see if you have any pending codes. Any of the parts stores should be able to run a scan free & tell you what the issue is.
I just wished mine would at least throw a code to tell me what coil is the culprit.

Good luck & keep us posted on any results
I actually paid $175.0 to Ford to run a diagnostics. Even did a test drive with no results. I still think it might be a coil. I am almost ready to replace them all.

I had this same problem twice. I have 130k+ miles on my Ex. Feels like torque convertor shudder on light loads. It's not. Change your plug and coils. It's pretty common for some reason and it usually won't trigger a check engine light either.

I had this same problem twice. I have 130k+ miles on my Ex. Feels like torque convertor shudder on light loads. It's not. Change your plug and coils. It's pretty common for some reason and it usually won't trigger a check engine light either.
Thanks. Keep you updated.

I decided to test each coil. However I am reading that I need to get a high and a low reading. Anyone tell me the high and the low reading?

check your coils and sparkplugs. if its not them its your Torque converter.
and if it is your coils its that they are putting of a type of electric interference or they are misfiring. one is easily identified with a OBD2 scanner that you can check individual cylinder misfires with the other you would need more expensive equipment or FORSCAN or hope its just one coil and swap one out test, if its not fixed keep repeating with the same coil

Jerking from 38-70mph sounds like a misfire. Are the jerks really quick and in succession, or is it more like one jerk every few seconds? Download forscan and check the misfire (mode 6) data. 92k miles is about time for spark plugs. I'd leave the coils for now unless you want to throw money at it.
Does the rpm vary up and down about 200rpm while the truck is jerking? That's the torque converter cycling. If the "jerking" you're describing is almost exactly like the sound and feeling of driving over a rumble strip, the torque converter is shuddering as well.
You can check out my thread on my 4.6 Mountaineer's TC cycling issue, but I'm not sure it applies here.

Change your plugs and boots on the coils. Will fix all your low throttle skipping from 40mph+. Use only motorcraft plugs

I am getting frustrated! My 2008 4.6 sport trac jerks from 38 mph to 70. It happens when I accelerate slowly. I live in Naples Florida so about the only issue with weather is heat. I have had the transmission tested and they said it is ok. Ford garage ran a test on the engine and it was ok. I cleaned the throttle body and I got some improvement. Several days later it is getting worse. I have 92,000 miles on it and have never changed plugs or wires. Anyone have any ideas?
I recently had same issue, I replaced TPS=THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR, I ended up with an O.E MOTORCRAFT ,adter a cheap ebay one acted strange. I also noticed throttle cable slack and did a fix on it, it now revs way up higher since the pedal was actually getting to the floor I think. Clean the MAF sensor with proper cleaner too. Disconnect battery, let sit an hour and reset ecm by turning key to on, let chime out, then start and let idle to normal operating temp. It will learn shift points as you drive. Mine will rev up to almost 6 rpms if you stay on the gas.

Had the exact same problem. My mechanic found two bad coils. Had him replace the coils (2) and all plugs (63,000 miles on the 4.6). Instantly fixed. You need a new Ford dealer.

What's even easier than a free throttle body cleaning is a *free* download of forscan and an ELM327 OBD reader to evaluate the MAF, TPS and misfire data.
Test don't guess. Test don't guess. Test don't guess.

I have an 07 4.6 that has exhibited the exact same issue 3 times over the last 4 years. Each time it starts with a slight jerking and if I get on the throttle I first get a check engine light and then I get a flashing check engine light. What is frustrating is that each time this has happened I have tracked it over multiple days and I rarely get a code even after the CEL has been flashing. In most case I get the jerking without any light. When I do get a light, flashing or not, it always goes off immediately after, and when I check the codes there are, "No Current Codes" and "No Pending Codes" 97% of the time and the 2 times I did get a code they were pending and as I said before the light has never stayed on. The first time was a month after I bought it in 2015 and after several days of checking it I got a P0300 and a P0308. I was happy I finally got a code but I was never able to reproduce the code even thought the jerking continued., so I replaced the plugs and the #8 coil. I had roughly 80,000 miles at the time. This happened again in 2018 except I never got a code even though I got the lights, which again did not stay on. Since I could not get a code and didn't have the money to replace all the coil packs I decided to monitor the misfire log and sure enough I had numerous misfires all on cyl 1 this time. In this instance I only replaced the coil and not the plugs. Here we are a year later and it's doing it again. Same symptoms this time except the CEL has flashed on 2 different days and I only got a code out of it on one of those 2 days. P0300, Random multiple misfire. Frustrating to say the least but I have basically figured out how to deal with it. This time I checked the misfires again and it's cylinders 5 and 6. The numbers are much lower but they are definitely there.

So I would agree that it's most likely coil related and not TPS or Mass Air related. If you do decide to replace the plugs, read up, be patient and DON'T BREAK THEM OFF when replacing them. At this point you have 2 choices the way I see it. You can pay to have the plugs replaced or you can replace them yourself. If you decide to replace them yourself, I have a couple of tips. 1. If you are superstitious I would suggest you buy one of the Broken Spark Plug Extraction tool kits(there are a couple of choices) ahead of time, set it on the passenger seat and tell your truck that there is no point in fighting because you already have the tool. 2.if you are just plain unlucky, I would get the the kit and have it waiting just in case, so you don't have to leave again, to get the tool. If you don't like these suggestions or just don't believe breaking the plugs is true then you could throw all caution into the wind, forge ahead and rip those plugs right out. Either way, good luck, and if you do read the recommendations for plug removal that are everywhere from a TSB, to google to Youtube then I would use Marine Tune when changing the plugs. I did mine, and I used Marine Tune and everything went great, none broke. BTW, I'm not superstitious but I have really bad luck so I bought the extraction tool, put it on my seat, and told my truck. To this day it sits in my tool box and looks like the day I bought it.

Now if I could just figure out that odd intermittent howling I get during cold weather...I digress

I recently had same issue, I replaced TPS=THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR, I ended up with an O.E MOTORCRAFT ,adter a cheap ebay one acted strange. I also noticed throttle cable slack and did a fix on it, it now revs way up higher since the pedal was actually getting to the floor I think. Clean the MAF sensor with proper cleaner too. Disconnect battery, let sit an hour and reset ecm by turning key to on, let chime out, then start and let idle to normal operating temp. It will learn shift points as you drive. Mine will rev up to almost 6 rpms if you stay on the gas.

stuttering like this in that range is related to either sparkplugs/ coils/ or Torque converter.
if you get intermittent limp mode or issues with throttle response it is likely an issue with the wires in engine bay having damaged shielding or melting together.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. Keep you updated.
May of gotten a fix. After reading about changing plugs and Fords 11 page addendum to how to get remove broken pieces of the spark plug I decided I was not qualified. Good thing the mechanic broke 3 plugs! To my surprise Ford knows and still supports a spark plug that WILL break! Why...
After a short test drive I think the fix may of been the plugs. The plug gap was 3 times the amount it should of been.

Back