Driver touch doesn't unlock rear doors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver touch doesn't unlock rear doors

kmarnes

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
  • Fob double unlock unlocks all doors.
  • Passender side touch unlocks all doors.
  • Unlock button inside driver door unlocks all doors.
  • Driver side touch unlocks only front doors
It wasn't always like this. It just started acting up recently. I perused various setting screens and couldn't find anything obvious. I have not tinkered with the setting either. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It wasn't always like this. It just started acting up recently. I perused various setting screens and couldn't find anything obvious. I have not tinkered with the setting either. Any ideas?
I have the same issue - seems strange -

That is normal. If you want the driver's touch pad to unlock all doors then you have to turn off the two stage unlock. The fob would also unlock all doors with one press.

That is normal. If you want the driver's touch pad to unlock all doors then you have to turn off the two stage unlock. The fob would also unlock all doors with one press.
He said that he checked all the settings so I'm guessing that the setup is to unlock all doors with the touch method. As well, it is only the rear doors that don't unlock meaning the driver and passenger doors do.

Peter

Mine started doing the same thing without me changing any settings. I just assumed it was another one of this cars foibles and ignored it.
Not long after that the battery failed (3rd one, tested as bad) and I installed another one and guess what, the rear doors unlock using the driver's side touch just like they used to. Coincidence?

So, I'm thinking it might be worthwhile doing a short disconnect/reconnect of the battery to see if that solves your unlock problem?

He said that he checked all the settings so I'm guessing that the setup is to unlock all doors with the touch method. As well, it is only the rear doors that don't unlock meaning the driver and passenger doors do.

Peter
The vehicle setting is not clear. It usually implies the two stage lock would affect the key fob operation, but it also affects the keyless intelligent access operation. That's why I suggested checking the setting. Also any battery disconnection or module resets (ex. ForScan mods) will cause some settings to change.

Incidentally, I got a new battery, but it did not solve that issue. It's weird. I can't see any setting where this setup would be possible. Why would it work only on the passenger side but not the driver side?

The setting is in the instrument cluster. Settings>Vehicle>Locks>Remote Unlock.

I keep forgetting about that area. I was looking in the sync 3 touch panel in the center for settings. I'll give it a look later and see if there is a way to resolve it.

I keep forgetting about that area. I was looking in the sync 3 touch panel in the center for settings. I'll give it a look later and see if there is a way to resolve it.
I had the same problem, the right side still worked like it was supposed to but not the drivers side. The dealership reprogramed it and it’s been working normally since.
7876DFA2-2D05-463F-BD06-2C41F2A40316.jpeg

By the way my battery had gone bad (bad cell) and the dealership replaced it the week before. They said it had nothing to do with the lock problem it was just a coincidence.

The setting is in the instrument cluster. Settings>Vehicle>Locks>Remote Unlock.
Yep, so this was it. I fixed this myself after opting out of a diagnosis at the dealer. Basically what I think happened was that my battery died while I was getting it detailed a few months back and jumpstarted it and things were fine. Fast forward to when I wrote my original post. The battery was replaced but the door issue remained. Turned out it was a dumb setting default. The driver touch didn't lock any other doors include the passenger side. But set it to unlock all doors, and everything was fine. I suppose it's a security feature some people would prefer, but with a family, it's a pain.

Back