• Register Today It's free!

How many quarts for 97 Explorer

GridIron26

Reaction score
City, State
Frederick, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hello, I decide to start working on my car myself.. Like get myself to know about engine and everything..

I decided to change oil myself.. And I'm not sure how many quarts does '97 Explorer holds?? 4 or 5??

Thanks,
Ryan

p.s. does anybody know how I could find what type engine my explorer have, I know it's V6 but SOHC or just regular engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I decide to start working on my car myself.. Like get myself to know about engine and everything..

I decided to change oil myself.. And I'm not sure how many quarts does '97 Explorer holds?? 4 or 5??

Thanks,
Ryan

p.s. does anybody know how I could find what type engine my explorer have, I know it's V6 but SOHC or just regular engine?
My owners guide says all engine types take 4.7 / 5.0 5W30. I always do 4 litres synthetic and 1 litre Lucas Oil synthetic stabilizer.

I always do 5 quarts. This time around I tried the Amazon brand high mileage synthetic with Motorcraft filter.

I always do 5 quarts. This time around I tried the Amazon brand high mileage synthetic with Motorcraft filter.

Let me know how that high mileage works out for you? What brand was it? I am currently at 250,00k... running smooth but definitely taking all precautions at this point...

Interesting... I gotta do mine today so I'll just see what Wal Mart has, they're usually the cheapest.

With filter i have always poured in 5 litres and it isn't too much.

5 Qts should get you to 1/2 way into the safe zone on the dipstick. I usually do 5.5 Qts on both our 5.0L V8 trucks, because they burn and/or leak a little oil between oil changes and filling it to MAX line means I wont have to add oil for a while (if at all) between oil changes. On my SOHC 4.0L ST I just put in 5 qts, as it doesn't burn/leak oil between changes. If your dipstick says overfull with 5 Qts, you probably have the wrong dip stick for your engine (been there, done that).

As long as your between the MIN and MAX lines on the dipstick you're good. Don't obsess about it.

You're probably already following the proper directions for the oil change... I do the full 5 L / 5 qts jug with a filter change. When filling with the new oil, first pour in 4 qts and run the engine for a couple minutes. Turn off the engine and add the rest of the jug.

You're probably already following the proper directions for the oil change... I do the full 5 L / 5 qts jug with a filter change. When filling with the new oil, first pour in 4 qts and run the engine for a couple minutes. Turn off the engine and add the rest of the jug.

I'm curious. What do you believe this procedure does for you? I've never heard of anyone doing this and see no benefit to it. Plus if you're not putting some oil into the new oil filter before starting the engine you run your engine dry for a few seconds each time you change your oil. This may cause insignificant wear, but if you're changing your oil every 3000-5000 for 20+ years, over 200,000+ miles it adds up. It's easy to fill your new filter if it mounts vertically, but this is not the case with the 5.0L engine as the filter mounts on an angle. Still, I always get as much oil as I can into the new filter when changing my oil, then I like to crank my engine w/o allowing it to start until I see oil pressure. Am I being ****? Maybe.

Is your procedure done to protect against possible hydraulic lock? If so, you don't need to be concerned about that.

My V-6 4.0 OHV Oil Change Procedure every 3,000 Miles - broken down sequentially/step-by-step for newbies ;)

First, drain engine oil and then remove the old oil filter (NOTE: more oil will come out of drain plug hole when you remove the old oil filter - so don't install drain plug until after removing the old oil filter).

Re-install drain plug and tighten.

Witness Mark a horizontal line on the bottom of the new oil filter with a Sharpee/White Paint Stick/ or Scratch Off Oil Filter Paint.

Place Silicon Grease on the New Oil Filter Gasket for easy removal of the oil filter later on down the line.

Place the new oil filter upright in the box it comes in, insert a Harbor Freight small funnel that will fit inside the neck/hole of the oil filter, and pre-oil the filter (close to 1 quart).

Carefully make your way under your Ex (so you don't spill oil all over yourself) and utilizing the Witness Mark, hand-tighten the Oil Filter approximately 3/4 Turn.

Fill remaining 4 Quarts into Engine Oil Fill Point.

Within the engine bay, disconnect the "quick connect clip" holding the (4) wire harness to Ignition Coil Pack (connection point on coil & connector shown in pictures BELOW).
71R75%2BwrWdL._SX466_.jpg
1P1144__ra_p.jpg

Get in cabin, twist ignition key until you get oil pressure on dashboard pressure gauge.

Get out of cabin, re-connect wire harness to ignition coil pack.

Get back in cabin, twist ignition key, start engine.

Let engine ruin for 1 minute, turn off, wait 1 minute, pull dipstick and check oil level.

Get under your Ex, check oil filter/drain plug for leaks.
Smile and give yourself an 'atta boy as you crack a cold one! :chug:

FYI - If you hold the accelerator pedal to the floor, you can crank the engine w/out having it start because doing this turns off the fuel injectors. Easier than disconnecting wires.

Mmmmmmmm beer

screen-shot-2018-03-27-at-10-23-02-am-1522161452.png

I'm curious. What do you believe this procedure does for you? I've never heard of anyone doing this and see no benefit to it. Plus if you're not putting some oil into the new oil filter before starting the engine you run your engine dry for a few seconds each time you change your oil. This may cause insignificant wear, but if you're changing your oil every 3000-5000 for 20+ years, over 200,000+ miles it adds up. It's easy to fill your new filter if it mounts vertically, but this is not the case with the 5.0L engine as the filter mounts on an angle. Still, I always get as much oil as I can into the new filter when changing my oil, then I like to crank my engine w/o allowing it to start until I see oil pressure. Am I being ****? Maybe.

Is your procedure done to protect against possible hydraulic lock? If so, you don't need to be concerned about that.
Man, I was wrong. Somewhere I remember reading that procedure for oil change. Will not be doing it moving forward. Thanks for the heads up.

I've always topped off my filter before starting the engine. Just good practice IMO. The SOHC engine takes 5 qts of oil total.

Back