Standard vs Sport Brakes | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Standard vs Sport Brakes

Hi Jon. I discovered that the Ford ETIS site changed a month or so ago and I have the same issue. There was another link posted that supplied the same type of info but I can't seem to find it right now.
EDIT: found it; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php

Peter

Thanks. It says "HD front/rear brake calipers", so maybe mine slid in during the switch. I'd swear that ETIS said standard duty, and like I said, Fordparts.com, with my VIN, says SD. They could've gotten the actual cutoff/switchover date, or unit #, wrong, though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Standard Brakes: 325 mm front rotor size

HD Brakes: 352 mm front rotor size

Rear rotor size is 345 mm (same for all models)

* the bolt patterns are the same for both rotors so they can fit interchangeably.

Does anyone know or can anyone confirm the Sport has biggr brakes (calipers) and rotors than tne other models? Does it the sport have the same brakes as the police interceptor?

just curious about performance brake kits and if work it over the sport stock brakes.

Standard Brakes - front rotor size 325mm (12.8")

HD Brakes - front rotor size 352mm (13.86")

Rear rotor size 329.95mm (12.99") or 340

* bolt pattern: 5 X 4.5 / 114.3

wheel size: 17 X 7 to 24 X 9.5

Welcome to the Forum kaifordex15.:wave:

Peter

I stopped by the dealership yesterday and had them point out what pad and rotor part numbers would be used to replace the rears on my 2013 Sport. (About 23K miles.) While there, I asked the service manager about breaking them in when I got it back from them. He said that there was nothing in the Service Manual that talked about that and that he did not think it was needed. I think I will break them in anyway just to be safe. The online Ford parts list is rather confusing as it has several part numbers for each part. The parts dept. guy circled the right numbers for my ride and said that's what they will put in. Soon as the weather gets better, I'll take it in and have the job done and let you all know what happens. Was estimated to be $420 plus tax to do it. If they do it and there's a problem--they know I'll be back and it won't be for the free coffee! Clarence.

Remember OEM brake pads are free if they replace them as well.

Peter

Remember OEM brake pads are free if they replace them as well.

Peter
Called the dealership and they said that the pads being replaced would not be for free since they came on the vehicle when I bought it new. But, that the pads being put in now would have a lifetime warranty. Clarence.

I went to fordowner.com and looked it up and it said pads purchased after 7/1/14 would have a lifetime guarantee but you had to provide copies of the repair order and other things to qualify. Go to the site and look it up as I may not be interpreting it properly. Perhaps if you purchased a vehicle after that maybe??? My dealer says no on the vehicle but yes on pads put in after that (7/1/14 I suppose). I'm SOL because I got the vehicle on 12/24/12. Clarence.

I've been trying to figure out what I have for a while. According to the tech on my last visit to the dealer, I have original OEM brakes, but the pads have been changed.

I can't get the 'minor features' section of ETIS to expand, but it's worked in the past and shown standard duty brakes. Build date of 5/16/12.

However...I have ventilated rotors, not the solid ones, on all four wheels. I haven't pulled the wheels to measure, but the rotors look to be around 13" on all four.

When I put my VIN in on Fordparts.com, it shows standard duty rotors.
1125 (NBRR-12) Disc Brake Rotor Standard Duty Fr/Rr Calp And Pads (Front)

Vehicle Build Date after: 1/9/2012

If I search on Fordparts.com without a VIN, and I chose a 2015 instead of 2013, that same rotor comes up as one of the options, which it shouldn't, since there's not supposed to be standard duty brakes on those.

So, I have no idea what's on mine. I seem to recall reading the standard duty rear brakes were only 12" rotors. Mine are definitely around 13". I thought the heavy duty fronts were 14", but I could be wrong. Mine appear to be the same, or close, size front and rear.

Just measure the front rotors. If they are 13.86", they are heavy duty brakes...if they are 12.8" they are standard brakes.

The VIN decoder page on ford-trucks.com shows my vehicle as having "HD front/rear brake calipers" yet it does not, it has standard brakes.

I'm getting new pads/rotors for my 2016 PIU and I've had good results with Max Brakes (Canadian Co) with my Cadillac and wife's Ford Escape.

Their website says that the replacement for OEM 2016 ALL trim levels is:

Rotors
- Front - 325mm (12.8") diameter
- Rear - 330mm (12.99") diameter

For the 2016 PIU it's different:

Rotors
- Front - 352mm (13.86") diameter
- Rear - 345mm (13.58") diameter

Couldn't tell you why it's different, but that's what you get.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe that the police vehicles get heavier duty brakes due to their intended use.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

all the Explorers produced after the mid point in the 2013 model year have the same heavy duty brakes.

(invalid link removed)

Peter
The production date is 02/13 on my Ltd and it also has the HD brakes on the front (despite most of the stuff I read online stating that they would be SD, because that factory shift to HD was listed as starting 03/13).

Seems like the only safe method of knowing is to take the pads out and look at them, the HD and SD have different shapes.

Back