Roof Rail Separating | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rail Separating

2019 Ford Explorer Sport 8,000 miles
This just happened to me Tuesday. And after some research I'm not the only one having this issue. Only noted to return to the dealer for repairs but doesnt solve the ongoing problem. Is there a fix?
LOVE my Explorer... But!
Really dont want to trade it in and make it someone else's problem. HELP!

20191107_104125.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Mary.:wave:
I've merged your post with this thread on the same issue found using the Forum's 'Search' feature. Also, see post #44 on this page. Good luck.

Peter

Hi Mary,
I have had the same problem along with many others. At first the dealer only replaced the top part of the roof rail, but it was still loose. So they ordered the complete roof rail (top and bottom mounting parts and that did solve the problem. Some people still have the issue, but in many cases they use a carwash with brushes that seem to loosen them up.

Hi Mary,
I have had the same problem along with many others. At first the dealer only replaced the top part of the roof rail, but it was still loose. So they ordered the complete roof rail (top and bottom mounting parts and that did solve the problem. Some people still have the issue, but in many cases they use a carwash with brushes that seem to loosen them up.
Thanks!
"Built Ford Tough" until you take it through a car wash ‍♀️

Mine has been doing this lately, I am currently looking at a solution to this. I don't want to waste time at the dealer.

Just noticed my driver side with the same issue. There's some wiggle room on the trim to try and force the sucker back onto the white clip. So far, it's stayed and not come loose this past week. My thought is that maybe design flaw on Ford's part.

Great!
Here is my problem so please bear with me. When I noticed & heard this Tuesday I made an appointment to take it into the shop the next day.
The service rep told me Ford would not cover the cost of it needing to be repaired & replaced due to "impact damage"...
When I get to the shop and had him show me the impact damage. He lead me to the passenger side and pointed right here. Being 5"2 I had to climb step on the door jam to see and I said here? He said yes!.. (guys I cant make this **** up) I took my thumb, licked it.. and wiped the BUG SPLATTER off!...
I looked at him and said the "impact damage " was obviously from a bug! So what now?
He said and I quote "it looks to me like you just buffed out the damage with your thumb and we have photos and ford say no coverage"...
I can not begin to tell you how mad I am. I have been searching the internet and it was easy to do and find that I am not alone!
This is a 2019 Ford Explorer sport with 8,000 miles on it. Its unbelievable to me with what I'm paying for it I can not take it through a car wash.. fine!
But in the mean time how do I get this repaired and replaced at no cost to me. Its clearly a design issue made by ford.
The little minion said the passenger side has a broke clip on the track and clips are wore out on the rail.
Everytime I go somewhere I cant just lock my car and go.
NOW... I have to push both the rails back into place, lock the car and go.

It is quite obvious that there is a problem with the clips on some of the Explorers. This is also evidenced in post #44 where a different clip was eventually used. So the clip on a 2019 vehicle is "wore out"? From what exactly? Ask them to show you the "damage". You can't rub out actual damage with the rub of a finger. Have you actually had to use the roof rails for something? I'd first talk to the dealership manager and then, if nothing is done, tell him you won't be back again. I'd go to another dealership and see what they say and mention what your present dealer said.

Peter

It is quite obvious that there is a problem with the clips on some of the Explorers. This is also evidenced in post #44 where a different clip was eventually used. So the clip on a 2019 vehicle is "wore out"? From what exactly? Ask them to show you the "damage". You can't rub out actual damage with the rub of a finger. Have you actually had to use the roof rails for something? I'd first talk to the dealership manager and then, if nothing is done, tell him you won't be back again. I'd go to another dealership and see what they say and mention what your present dealer said.

Peter
Just had a long conversation with Ford Manufacturing company Via FB messenger. Sent them all my information with links including this one to show that there is a real safety/ and design flaw when it comes to these rails. He said he was sending all my information to the regional manager to help get this resolved. So we will see
That's what I want to know... how can they be "wore out" after 4 months of ownership. And no I have not used them for anything. I wont even allow food/drink inside the vehicle... LOL. My husband and I went back to the dealership that night and spoke to the manager... and he ASSURED ME he would deal with this first thing in the morning and expressed how mad he was as the service dept guy, and would call me by 10am with a solution to the problem. By 1:13 pm the only call I got was from the guy who sold me the vehicle letting me know Kevin was out of the office today and he asked him to call me.

That service guy is definitely a POS especially since it'll most likely be paid for by Ford. These days it's getting harder to find a dealer that'll treat you good AFTER you've purchased the vehicle. I currently drive almost an hour to a good dealer for both my Fords instead of the one I purchased at which is 25 minutes away. As mentioned above, if needed, go to a different dealer.

I went round and around with my dealer on why it wasn't covered under my extended premium factory warranty. After I complained, I met with a technician and he told me they put 4 screws in the rails to fix the issue as it's pretty common. I prefer to do my own work and bought four 1" black flush type screws and drilled a pilot hole though the cap and into the railing mount about 4" from the back and 4" from the front, looks like the factory ones lining the top of the rail. The picture on post #13 shows the large mount area where to put the screws. Took 15 minutes and the problem with lifting is gone.

If they consider it to be "trim" then it isn't covered. There are many exclusions listed on the brochure.

Peter

Same issue with my 2018 sport which has 6,000 miles. The end of the plastic roof racks keep popping off. I have been to the dealer and they have replaced the clips but it continues to come off after a few days. Finally I gave up on the dealer finding a solution.
I used some 100% silicone adhesive caulking to glue them down. Just put some big dabs on each clip and snapped them back down. I then put some masking take over the top to hold it down for a few hours while the silicone dries. So far it has worked well.

I used epoxy over the clip and weighted it down with a bag of rock salt until it cured. It completely cured the problem.

I went round and around with my dealer on why it wasn't covered under my extended premium factory warranty. After I complained, I met with a technician and he told me they put 4 screws in the rails to fix the issue as it's pretty common. I prefer to do my own work and bought four 1" black flush type screws and drilled a pilot hole though the cap and into the railing mount about 4" from the back and 4" from the front, looks like the factory ones lining the top of the rail. The picture on post #13 shows the large mount area where to put the screws. Took 15 minutes and the problem with lifting is gone.
This is my plan as well, I meant to get at this weekend, but time did not allow.

My solution was to use a heat gun and squeeze the rear of the trims so all of the clips engage. You will know when it engages by a very loud click. I did this last year and it has held up fine. It took a lot of experimenting with adhesives and observation of how it clips to the rail. I posted this awhile ago but everyone seems to ignore it.

My 2019 Sport has experienced the roof rails (not the horizontal ones) come loose at the back of the vehicle. I took it in and, apparently, there was a TSB released just this week. They had to put new clips and adhesive on. They needed the car 6 hours to let the adhesive dry. So far, so good!

I'll get the TSB off of the receipt and report that.

Shumax

Thanks for the update :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please do. I'm on my 3 set of the old design clips now.

Back