• Register Today It's free!

Corrosion control

AdrenalineJunky

Reaction score
City, State
Nh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST.
I spent about 4 hours on fluid film corrosion control. Very elaborate job with all the covers, shields, and nooks and crannies to get into. 2 areas near rear lift points were scratched to metal, would have started rusting right there in no time. My guess is happened during transport tiedown. I saw one area under rear bumper skin looked like completely missed while in factory diptank. Glad I did it. Oh wipe down the whole exhaust after to avoid smoke show. Lots of SS and aluminium components under there...impressive design build.

20191105_134216.jpg

20191105_134135.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would hate the job of removing the drive shaft for any reason whatsoever.

Call me old and grumpy, but I still prefer the BOF construction. That said, I'm happy the Explorer is back to a RWD 4x4.

I would hate the job of removing the drive shaft for any reason whatsoever.

@Larryjb

Good eye! I didn't notice that until I took a closer look based on your comment!

Hmmm … Looks like the ST has one of those new-fangled Adaptive Valves in the exhaust system just like the Platinum. In fact, the entire exhaust system on this ST looks just like the exhaust system on my Platinum. No difference?

Hmmm … Looks like the ST has one of those new-fangled Adaptive Valves in the exhaust system just like the Platinum. In fact, the entire exhaust system on this ST looks just like the exhaust system on my Platinum. No difference?

I don't see an adaptive exhaust valve in the photos above or on my ST. Which photo and what part are you looking at?

I don't see an adaptive exhaust valve in the photos above or on my ST. Which photo and what part are you looking at?

I zoomed into the second photo from the top. The Adaptive Valve is located on output end of the Y-pipe, just as it enters the muffler. I can see the Adaptive Valve's coil-spring assembly protruding out from the inlet of the muffler. The coil spring assembly is pointed toward the passenger side of the Explorer.

You can see the Adaptive Valve on my 2020 Platinum in Photo #6 in this online album:

OneDrive

My exhaust does not have the "Y" pipe on the engine side of the muffler. Instead of going into a "Y" with a single pipe going into the muffler, both pipes coming from the engine enter the muffler separately. I also don't have the adaptive valve.

My ST was built on 9/26/19.

My exhaust does not have the "Y" pipe on the engine side of the muffler. Instead of going into a "Y" with a single pipe going into the muffler, both pipes coming from the engine enter the muffler separately. I also don't have the adaptive valve.

My ST was built on 9/26/19.

Must have been a running change for some reason. Sounds like Ford has gone back to the way the exhaust system was configured for the 3.5L Ecoboost on the 5th generation Explorers. You can get a good look at that exhaust system in this online photo album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9964408@N07/sets/72157657334868893/

Must have been a running change for some reason. Sounds like Ford has gone back to the way the exhaust system was configured for the 3.5L Ecoboost on the 5th generation Explorers. You can get a good look at that exhaust system in this online photo album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9964408@N07/sets/72157657334868893/

Ford Parts shows four different muffler assemblies for the 2020 Explorer 3.0. There's one specific to the ST dated 8/12/19. No luck on viewing the photos as I'm not a flickr member, thanks though...

Sorry to the op for the exhaust posts when the subject should be corrosion control. :(

Mine was built August. I did note that pressure valve while it was on lift and wondering wtf it's for...
Also wondering about all that body cladding under there, looks nice but driving through deep solid snow might be an issue.

Also wondering about all that body cladding under there, looks nice but driving through deep solid snow might be an issue.

@AdrenalineJunky

NHV (Noise Heat Vibration) becoming more important within the vehicle class since the Ex has "evolved" from a body on frame truck into a SUV/Car..

Back