Multiple suspension noises | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our ST goes in tomorrow for the second time regarding this noise. The first visit was inconclusive, so I’m working with a different dealer who seemed a little more interested in the issue than the first. I was advised it could be some time before I saw my vehicle again due to it being a new model and the dealership needing time to work with Ford to understand what the problem might be. The service tech definitely heard the noise, and confirmed it shouldn’t be there. Here we go!

Perhaps it isn't suspension related at all.

Peter

Dropped off my ST again for same clunking noise. I advised them of the subframe bolt that may be an issue. Ford buys it back Nov 4th if its not repaired.

Dropped off my ST again for same clunking noise. I advised them of the subframe bolt that may be an issue. Ford buys it back Nov 4th if its not repaired.

Did they already agree to it?

Update for our 'clunking' Platinum. Dealer has agreed to cancel the sale on the Explorer seeing that we have owned it nearly a month, but it has been sitting in the dealership for all but three days of that timeframe. Instead we are getting a 2WD Aviator which will be checked very carefully before it leaves the dealership. It is currently in transit. The Explorer is still exploring some poor technican's head and sanity as the front suspension apparently needs to be replaced, but the PARTS ARE UNOBTAINABLE as of right now. This is a car with 300 miles on it. That's right....three... hundred... miles.

For the family sanity, we had to put this nightmare out of its misery, and the dealership stepped up and made that happen quickly and easily. Had to pony up the difference between the Explorer and the Aviator, but all in all....its good. I will still maintain knowing what I know now through collective and personal experience, that the AWD version of this ride appears susceptible to suspension noises, whereas the 2WD's appear to be very quiet....and this may.....may be due to poorly designed or manufactured parts (based on my experience and stories posted on this board). So Kudo's to the dealership GM for fixing this and rectifying what was progressing to be turning into a very bad situation for us.

Good to hear that everything worked out for you. :)

Could also be the design of having the front drive shafts go through the engine casing on the AWD variety. Its that way to reduce the height of the motor so I have been told...but that is a lot of moving parts contained within a small space that do a lot of triaxial motion. Would be neat to confirm the 2WD's dont suffer from this, which perhaps could point to the current arrangement of the front end 4WD setup as containing the culprit. Seems like lots and lots of folks have looked and could not find it. We all know its there, but where?

The ford rep said the lemon law 30 days is up on the 2nd and she will call me back on the 4th if it is not repaired.
Such a damn shame...but.....cheap parts cant do anything but act cheaply, and poorly designed parts.....well, you get the drift....and Ford should really pay attention that sort of project management could end up costing a lot of money and reputation. You would think they would have learned that already though.....guess some peeps just don't get it, or keep making the same silly decisions expecting a different result.

Could also be the design of having the front drive shafts go through the engine casing on the AWD variety. Its that way to reduce the height of the motor so I have been told...but that is a lot of moving parts contained within a small space that do a lot of triaxial motion. Would be neat to confirm the 2WD's dont suffer from this, which perhaps could point to the current arrangement of the front end 4WD setup as containing the culprit. Seems like lots and lots of folks have looked and could not find it. We all know its there, but where?
If this is the case, which seems logical, Ford has a massive problem on their hands!

@Axles of Evil Great to hear that this resolved to your satisfaction. My 2020 Platinum (now 2 weeks old) does not have the issue, which is simply the luck of the draw.

I do wonder about the likely cause of problems like this that affect only some examples. Is it engineering (not likely since only some are affected), improperly manufactured parts, or sloppy assembly?

From everything I have read about the functioning of the Chicago Assembly Plant, sloppy assembly and lousy Q/C oversight would seem to be the most likely culprit for these issues. I suppose I'm looking forward to delivery of my ST, but mostly with trepidation.

I haven't owned a Ford product since my 1969 Mustang and have never owned a vehicle with the types of issues people have found with the 2020 Explorer. My last two SUVs were an S-10 Blazer that went over 300,000 miles, and a first year Trailblazer that now has 220,000. Hope I get lucky.

From everything I have read about the functioning of the Chicago Assembly Plant, sloppy assembly and lousy Q/C oversight would seem to be the most likely culprit for these issues. I suppose I'm looking forward to delivery of my ST, but mostly with trepidation.

I haven't owned a Ford product since my 1969 Mustang and have never owned a vehicle with the types of issues people have found with the 2020 Explorer. My last two SUVs were an S-10 Blazer that went over 300,000 miles, and a first year Trailblazer that now has 220,000. Hope I get lucky.

There has been a couple issues, nothing major at this point. We shall see what the future holds but hoping it is far better than the 2011

List of Useful Threads - 2011 + Explorer TSB's & SSM's

MY tire pressure fps is still at 38. I will lower it to 33 recommended and see what happens.

Screenshot_20191031-204555_FordPass.jpg

I'm not trying to downplay this annoying problem but there are only about 5 members in this thread with the issue.

Peter
I don't have a current count on the suspension complaint but please add me to the list. I haven't been to the dealer yet to have it checked but know that it is becoming a problem might help me make my case, or perhaps Ford is getting some feedback.

A full week in the shop with no progress, other than they know the noise is there, but have no idea what is causing it. The dealer is waiting for Ford to give direction. If this is going to be a long term ordeal, they are going to have to give us something a little nicer than a used Ecosport to drive!

Must be me but I've watched both times now 7 times each and can't hear anything beyond the bump in the road at the 4:25 mark.

Look at 5:22 to 5:25, those little light bumps, I can really hear that. I don't now, someone needs to post a video of this issue so that we can confirm. Previous gen did not have any of that noise going our slightest of light painted street marks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The sound I'm hearing only occurs when I pass over rough spots in the road mostly at slower speeds, 25mph. Not on speed bumps or potholes. I can hear the sound when hitting a hard bump, like a joint in a freeway bridge, but at low speeds on rough spots it is easier to identify. It's not a rattle. It's a low frequency sound like something heavy that is loose.

Back