410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier" | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"

I am very excited make no mistake!! But I am savoring every moment of this build. The anticipation is like a drug to me. I will love the end result. Working with 410customs has been so much fun that I'm certain we will continue to see each other a lot afterwards as well. As he says, "pfft...its never finished" lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks guys!

modify the stock cross member to accept the tall urethane mount (chop cut weld)

I am never that far away! LOL I will work on any RBV I love them

here are the comp cam parts we used, this info should be here in this thread:
cam xe264HR-14
986-16 valve springs 1.430" FOR 984-974
768-16 steel retainers 1.437"
601-16 super valve locks 11/32" (7 degree slope)
503-16 valve seals 11/32" PTFE
7701-1 pushrod length checker

I would get TWO of the valve seal installation tool (plastic sleeve/condom) mine was barely holding on when I pressed on the last 3-4 valve seats it would be nice to have two of these.
They protect the seal from hitting any ridges on the valve stem as you press the seal into position.
Also they sell a valve seal installation tool, I simply used two sockets and pressed them in two stages.

Okay it is settled we are planning to run with a custom aftermarket PCM from Holley

Holley EFI 550-944 Terminator X Max Ford MPFI Kit w/ 98+ Transmission Control

550-94419268.jpg

This PCM is designed to work with the SBF and 4r70w and gives an in cab interface to control the tuning of engine and trans :)

SO MUCH WANT

However the Holley PCM is also designed to work with the Mustang TFI ignition, which we do not want. I do not want to put a distributor in this engine.
So we will upgrade the ignition to coilpack or coil near plug
The holley PCM requires two wideband 02 sensors and a map sensor, I might have to add a MAP sensor.
I am going to try and keep the truck side of things all 2007 until I cannot anymore.

Pulled the trigger on the PCM! My friend Brett is a Holley ignition dealer and he is headed to SEMA may be able to get us a deep discount.

In the meantime I have an actual update! WOOHOOO!! I have a 98 Explorer coming into the shop this afternoon to be ripped apart. Why is this an update? Because this 98 explorer is our rear axle donor as well as some other interior/wiring bits I need, keyless entry, EATC, and more.

Been working really hard this fall to finish up some other projects, firewood, shop organize, so we can focus on this 07 110%.....
The Bronco II rust repair and bedside install is done
Built a huge storage shelf system in the carport for auto parts to de - clutter the shop!
The shop is now a full 55' wide and 32' deep with room for parts and projects.
Bring on the snow!

Here we go! "Stage II" as I am calling it, suspension and gears......

pictures to follow

Thanks guys!

modify the stock cross member to accept the tall urethane mount (chop cut weld)

I am never that far away! LOL I will work on any RBV I love them

here are the comp cam parts we used, this info should be here in this thread:
cam xe264HR-14
986-16 valve springs 1.430" FOR 984-974
768-16 steel retainers 1.437"
601-16 super valve locks 11/32" (7 degree slope)
503-16 valve seals 11/32" PTFE
7701-1 pushrod length checker

I would get TWO of the valve seal installation tool (plastic sleeve/condom) mine was barely holding on when I pressed on the last 3-4 valve seats it would be nice to have two of these.
They protect the seal from hitting any ridges on the valve stem as you press the seal into position.
Also they sell a valve seal installation tool, I simply used two sockets and pressed them in two stages.

In every bit a form of flattery, I talked with @410Fortune about copying this cam install into my '98 5.0 rebuild. As the rotating assembly in mine was trashed due to an ...ahem... out of spec rod trying to mate a piston with the crank, I needed to pretty much start from the ground up. Since I had been looking at doing a cam install for a while now, this seemed the perfect opportunity to try it. I hope my build turns out even half as well as his is going to be.(Hell, I'll be happy if I can start going up slight inclines without dropping into 3rd. :laugh: )

Sorry for the thread-jack, but I just wanted to say thanks ...and also if it all goes wrong its your fault :p
I am also really excited to see this Ranger running :popcorn:

Heck yes!! Thanks for that!
I know the cam in my old 96 sploder (E303) made a world of difference in power, with the headers and a cam the soccer mom mobile becomes an actual truck with some passing power
After driving many stock explorers and then ones with a hopped up V8 I think you will be more then happy.
I cannot WAIT to try this Holley PCM
Brett went to SEMA, found the holley dudes, talked to them at length and we have our unit on order
We can INDEED use the factory explorer coil pack ignition OR Chevy LS coils near plug with this Holley PCM
It has so many features and should be perfect for any SBF and 4r70w build.

do you know if there is any advantage of having that over a program that allows you to do your own tuning? myself and a few members here have a sct pro racer package that allows you to make most if not any changes you like. my problem with it is im a dummy when it comes to tuning and have to rely on another member to do it for me.

I'll answer this (At least in part).

1. Automatic WOT fueling adjustment. I love this feature. This means, set your fueling tables and forget it (No MAF transfer adjustments anymore). This does not mean spark tables are automatically adjusted, but maybe with a knock sensor they are now?
2. Fast processor, so at high rpm's its more stable (I have not had an issue with my factory pcm though).
3. On the fly changes without uploading an adjusted file over and over.

Some of the other things that can be a positive, or a negative (Depending how you look at it).
1. the digital dash. Great, except you loose your factory dash and the digital dash might not fit so well.
2. added install work as there is no plug and play harnesses for our vehicles.
3. steep learning curve (great challenge if you have the time and desire).

All of that said, I'd love to learn more about the HP Dominator as it has all kinds of other inputs and outputs that are super cool. I'm really looking forward to your posts about this as you move forward. I also love the fact that it can control the 4r70w (I did not know that).

I'll answer this (At least in part).

1. Automatic WOT fueling adjustment. I love this feature. This means, set your fueling tables and forget it (No MAF transfer adjustments anymore). This does not mean spark tables are automatically adjusted, but maybe with a knock sensor they are now?
2. Fast processor, so at high rpm's its more stable (I have not had an issue with my factory pcm though).
3. On the fly changes without uploading an adjusted file over and over.

Some of the other things that can be a positive, or a negative (Depending how you look at it).
1. the digital dash. Great, except you loose your factory dash and the digital dash might not fit so well.
2. added install work as there is no plug and play harnesses for our vehicles.

All of that said, I'd love to learn more about the HP Dominator as it has all kinds of other inputs and outputs that are super cool. I'm really looking forward to your posts about this as you move forward. I also love the fact that it can control the 4r70w (I did not know that).

Another thought, if it can handle the 4R70W, how about the 6R80, which is stronger and has better gears?

Can you bolt a 6R80 to a 302?

Looks like you can
PA Ford 6R80 Transmission to Small Block Ford Engine Adapter

I could not get a straight answer from Holley tech over Email or FAQ about the EDIS ford ignition with this unit
That is until Brett went to SEMA and talked to the right people
I cringe to think about asking them about the 6t80 I would rather ask Brett who is a Holley and a US Shift distributor

I plan to use a custom instrument cluster based on the 07 unit

Yes this new Holley is designed specifically for the 4r70w
This same PCM has been around for the Chevy guys for a bit now
I am learning about it as you guys are but from what I have seen....man oh man so much want!

ah crap!

btw, for those that dont know, this is the person that is responsible for making my truck run lol

Unless you have barrels of money to burn...
The cost of the 6r80, adapter, torque converter spacer, and controller is not practical for me yet. Having to modify the bell housing to accommodate the different starter location negates any warranties, so risking the expense without knowing how it will turn out is another thing to consider.

When I was researching my build, the only place I found anyone swapping the 6r80 and 10r80 was on mustang forums. I've read a couple threads that discussed the swap for a ranger and an explorer but the threads ended without knowing whether or not it was done.

Sticking with the 4r70w until the 6r80 swap is proven and more affordable.

Any momentum on this? I wanna see it run! :popcorn::bounce:

me too!! Yes we have a rep from Holley we (Brett) met at Sema and filled us in on all the goodies. The Holley terminator PCM is on order!!!!

As soon as I have it in my hot little hands then I will know exactly what is needed on the truck side of things as far as wideband 02 sensors, a map sensor and more.

I have about 15 boxes full of gadgets to be installed now, the Lawrence wayfinder, a wicked Viper alarm system, a 360 degree camera system and digital head unit for the stereo.
The last boxes of parts arrived yesterday
I will be starting on the suspension over Thanksgiving break...we are expecting snow so I have cleared my schedule so I can focus 110% on this project.

me too!! Yes we have a rep from Holley we (Brett) met at Sema and filled us in on all the goodies. The Holley terminator PCM is on order!!!!

As soon as I have it in my hot little hands then I will know exactly what is needed on the truck side of things as far as wideband 02 sensors, a map sensor and more.

I have about 15 boxes full of gadgets to be installed now, the Lawrence wayfinder, a wicked Viper alarm system, a 360 degree camera system and digital head unit for the stereo.
I will be starting on the suspension over Thanksgiving break...we are expecting snow so I have cleared my schedule so I can focus 110% on this project.

Nice, I know what its like to have all these parts and have to wait to install them. :frown:

I still have to do the rear suspension on Red and some odds and ends in the engine bay.

so how much of the factory wiring will be used from both the dono, and the ranger to make it run now. i am also guessing the 5L pcm will no longer be used as well?

What brand of suspension parts do you like? I just Monday installed Moog LCA's, Mevotech uppers(TTX), SKF hubs, and Proforged TRE's. I also received Mevotech TRE's, but left them for my better trucks, they look much larger than other brand outers.

What brand of suspension parts do you like? I just Monday installed Moog LCA's, Mevotech uppers(TTX), SKF hubs, and Proforged TRE's. I also received Mevotech TRE's, but left them for my better trucks, they look much larger than other brand outers.

I just put in TTX uppers, lowers and TRE's on Red. They look well built.

I just put in TTX uppers, lowers and TRE's on Red. They look well built.
Good to hear. I didn't notice a TTX LCA when I was looking the last time, where were those from? Did you get the impression that the torsion bar hole/hex, was a good tight fit? I haven't had that loose size issue, but read of it on here before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good to hear. I didn't notice a TTX LCA when I was looking the last time, where were those from? Did you get the impression that the torsion bar hole/hex, was a good tight fit? I haven't had that loose size issue, but read of it on here before.
Should have clarified. I put in their lower ball joints. I didn't see any lower control arms either.

Back