how to fix broken clips, overhead console.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to fix broken clips, overhead console..

loud04explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited
I was driving and noticed the overhead console, above the rearview mirror, with was sagging. So i removed it, and noticed like 3 of the clips had some how broke (the small plastic piece that the metal clip attaches too.) Now it looks goofy because all the plugs are hanging. Is there anyway to repair those clips? or am i going to have to drop the truck off at the dealership??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has done the same thing. The front clips are broken. I tried to get the whole console off but cannot figure out how to get it off. How do you remove it completely?

After I get it off, I will look into possibly gluing or epoxying the clips back on.

Thanks!

I also have an overhead console on a 2004 XLT that started to fall due to two broken front tabs. While trying to figure out how it was held in place, I broke the remaining two rear tabs. The console has four "receiving clips" mounted in it, and there is a plastic mounting bracket that is screwed to the interior of the roof. That bracket has four tabs that seat into the console receiving clips by pushing the console into the bracket. So far, I've only found the entire overhead console available for purchase from Ford for a whopping $368! Does anyone know if/where the mounting bracket might be available by itself?

Ebay.

I also have an overhead console on a 2004 XLT that started to fall due to two broken front tabs. While trying to figure out how it was held in place, I broke the remaining two rear tabs. The console has four "receiving clips" mounted in it, and there is a plastic mounting bracket that is screwed to the interior of the roof. That bracket has four tabs that seat into the console receiving clips by pushing the console into the bracket. So far, I've only found the entire overhead console available for purchase from Ford for a whopping $368! Does anyone know if/where the mounting bracket might be available by itself?

You can order the bracket only at any Ford dealer for $60 plus tax. Also online at http://stores.revolutionparts.com/oemfordparts.jackyjones.com/ and use part #2C5Z78519K22AA and/or your VIN#
Online part is $48 but shipping is $8+
It's possible the dealer may have one in stock since this is a common problem.
Good luck !

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Overhead Console

Yes - You can order the overhead console on-line as described. I couldn't believe how flimsy the mount is! It's basically held in place by the interior and two small screws. There's a couple of friction fit posts that holds the mount to the body that may be difficult to get undone when pulling out the old one. What holds the console onto the mount (the four clips) are a joke! No wonder people have trouble buying American cars.

This is not a big deal job. Pulling back the interior enough to get at the mount is the hardest part. I broke the old mount because I couldn't get the post out of the friction mount. This post is in the front, ahead of the cheap clips that break. There are two. I think a little prying would work well when pulling down the front of the mount after removing the two mount screws. There are two round holes in the boy that accept this tapered post when it's punched into place. I wish I could describe it better.

same problem fixed

I had the same problem with my overhead console, with the rear dropping completely. I took it to my regular mechanic guy and he got the new bracket for $70 and charged me $50 to remove the old bracket and put the new one in. I let him do it because I wasn't sure how far the bracket went under the roof. It turns out, its just a little beyond the margin and I would install it myself next time. Anyway, the full replacement bracket is relatively cheap.

I wouldn't epoxy it because if one of your switches goes out, you won't have a way to easily to remove the console to replace it.

Old thread, I know but I just ran into this with my 04 XLT with sun roof. All 4 tabs broke over time and I ended up with the console hanging down. Never even touched it or tried to pull down the console.. Studied it for awhile and came up with this solution. I got the remains of the tabs out of the clips and carefully super glued them back in place. Then I carefully slipped the clips back onto the tabs This provided proper alignment for the clips to the console..The I got some quick setting epoxy and epoxied the clips to the to the tabs and the base of the bracket basically eliminating the tabs as the basic support. I can still remove the console as originally designed and the strength comes from the metal clips being epoxied to the bracket. Use caution removing the broken tab from the clip as they are held in tight and break easy when trying to remove them. You need to pull the clip apart enough for the tab to fall out. Hope this helps someone in the future.

I purchased the part alang listed. Arrived today. Getting the old bracket out was easy because it was so brittle that it broke apart as I pulled it out. The hard part was getting the new bracket installed.

Hint, you need to remove the sun visor lock points first. To do this, use a small flat blade screw driver to release the screw covers, then use a Phillips to remove the screws. Swing the visors to the door sides. Now you can pry the roof foam down and work the bracket in place.

This is interesting to see as my console fell off last week because the last 2 tabs broke. The front had been drooping for quite a while.
My repair was to bend some strips of metal into a T, put a slice into the bracket with a dremel tool, and feed the metal T through the slots and epoxy to the back of the bracket. I then slid the clips on to the metal and it popped right back into place and is holding great. No more crummy plastic tabs to break.
You need to remove the center visor clips and pull the headliner down from the rubber moulding in the front to remove the bracket. I also have the sun roof and the motor makes it a bit of work to remove the bracket.

My console in a 2005 Mountaineer Premier fell down - front first. Then I managed to break the rear tabs. I tried to order the bracket using the VIN but the part sent was very different than the one they (Tasca) sent. The imprinted number on the part does not match the appearance of the bracket either. The console has one "Spike" to align the console into the bracket. I would welcome suggestions as far as a correct part number. The vehicle has rear seat heat/cool controls, the homelink garage door opener, and a sunroof. That apparently means a particular bracket is required. Thanks in advance for any help..

I was driving and noticed the overhead console, above the rearview mirror, with was sagging. So i removed it, and noticed like 3 of the clips had some how broke (the small plastic piece that the metal clip attaches too.) Now it looks goofy because all the plugs are hanging. Is there anyway to repair those clips? or am i going to have to drop the truck off at the dealership??
I'm glad somebody asked this question so I could read the answers. I've been watching the junk yards for 3 years, waiting for a dead Explorer with both an electric roof window and dual air conditioning. Not one in a hundred Explorers has that combination. I know because I checked over a hundred dead Explorers!:banghead:
Now I see I'm going to find brittleness in a junk yard pod bracket.:confused2::mad2:
This is January in Florida, the perfect time to take all day making brackets out of sheet metal, so that's what I'm going to try.:cool2:
If I fail, I can ask a Dealership for the bracket or just keep driving with no dome light.

Wait...the dome light is stuck on because this beast has a bad chip in the instrument cluster. I can either pay Ford to install and register a whole instrument cluster just to fix the dome light or install a door switch for the dome light. Hundreds of dollars to a dealership to fix the dome light or build a bracket and drill a hole for a door switch? How about, "Don't buy Explorers"? At least twelve microprocessors and ten of them have permanent, expensive defects. If I wasn't an electronics nerd, this thing would need crutches.

Oh yeah...the radio quit yesterday.
The cruise control and the key fob quit about 6 months ago.
Make that thirteen microprocessors with electrical defects.

Same with mine. It fell off and the clips were so brittle, they broke off as well. I tried using velcro, but the adhesive on the velcro wasn't strong enough. I got some better velco strips (where both sides are the plastic). That worked until I hit a bump.

Next thing I'm going to try is to super glue the velcro strips to the bracket and the console, then a drop of super glue to enhance the grip of the velcro. If this works, I don't expect to be able to get it off in one piece, but that's better than having it hang down.

Will update when I see if it works.

I know this is an older post however, I just found the bracket for my 2005 Explorer Limited (part# 2C5Z78519K22aa) at Rock Auto for $49.79, taxes and shipping brought it to $61.82. EBay had a new one for $58, but I went with Rock Auto. I hope this helps if you haven't found a fix yet or helps anyone else who needs a part number and source to buy.

Back