Condensation on inside glass | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Condensation on inside glass

Hi Gang
I noticed moisture inside the headlight housing lens on the day I picked up my new ST. I questioned it because I am pretty sure that my vehicle was one that took a side trip to Michigan for a few touch-ups before it got to my dealer in Wisconsin.
Salesman was sure it was the hot air in their carwash area and then coming out to the front of the dealership in 25-30 degree weather. They know I am keeping them on a short leash on this one because of the side trip to Mich.
I have noticed the moisture again at least once, so they may get to troubleshoot the issue soon.

Have any of the rest of you noticed that one?

John in Wis

100% normal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Highly likely your heater core is leaking.

Just sayin' I doubt it because the OP @tbird462002 makes no mention of a "sweet smell" in the cabin which is 1st tell-tale signature of Coolant/Anti-Freeze (both old green type as well as new orange/yellow type) = Glycol.

It'll be interesting to hear back from the OP, out of all the problems, this is the 1st water intrusion problem I've read of on the 2020.

You might have a leak. My 2020 Aviator had a pinched sunroof drain tube and water was backing up into the car in the back cargo area. Most of it was behind roof and D-pillar panels, but when we had a 2" of rain in a day, the amount was too much to be concealed and it was obvious it was getting in. The thing is, sometimes it can get in and work its way out - soaking things on the way thru and you might not see it, but the humidity is in there.... put a hose on your roof and down your windshield and check your carpets and watch interior panels for droplets

IMG_5273.jpeg

You might have a leak. My 2020 Aviator had a pinched sunroof drain tube and water was backing up into the car in the back cargo area. Most of it was behind roof and D-pillar panels, but when we had a 2" of rain in a day, the amount was too much to be concealed and it was obvious it was getting in. The thing is, sometimes it can get in and work its way out - soaking things on the way thru and you might not see it, but the humidity is in there.... put a hose on your roof and down your windshield and check your carpets and watch interior panels for droplets

View attachment 175346

@John Fischetti

Textbook proof that a picture is worth 1,000 words!

Thanks for taking & posting the picture :)

One of the last QC (Quality Control) tests that a vehicle in a modern assembly plant goes through in the "water intrusion" test.

The vehicle is put in a rain chamber, and exposed to a torrent from all directions for a couple of minutes.

When the test is near complete, the assigned QC Rep. opens up all of the doors and the hatch, and is supposed to check for water intrusion into the cabin.

Chevy%20water.jpg

When the test is near complete, the assigned QC Rep. opens up all of the doors and the hatch, and is supposed to check for water intrusion into the cabin.

The key word here is "supposed to check" Guess they were "asleep at the spray head" when my car went through....

The key word here is "supposed to check" Guess they were "asleep at the spray head" when my car went through....

Someone at the assembly plant had to sign off on that test, before the vehicle could move onto the next stage/test.

Your FORD rep assigned to the case should get a copy of that pic (or better yet a LINK to this thread) ;)

As you initially said, it ran into the back cargo area where it likely wasn't visible. Only after a steady downpour for some time did it actually become visible. That might explain why it wasn't detected at the factory.

Peter

View attachment 175346

Because.... this wasn't mentioned in post #5...

Because.... this wasn't mentioned in post #5...

Nice snark. I was merely informing the OP that issues have arisen with this model, as opposed to post 5 where it was general speculation that water might have gotten in.
Real world problems, man. They take precedent over generalities.

@tbird462002

Assuming you're talking about the windshield, have you washed it recently OR has it rained recently?

Could be a bad windshield seal job...
Any solution to this problem ? My 2020 ford explorer st started this condensation buildup after about 10 months.it was so bad that the defroster element on back window peeled off. Dealer replaced rear window but when I went to pick it up condensation was really visable on front windshield still. I left it there so they can investigate further

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Could be that you have a water leak somewhere allowing excess moisture in the cabin.

Peter

I'm checking today to see if I can find water somewhere. As I expected there's ice on the entire length of the moonroof glass this morning and with the heat on water droplets are hitting my kids.

I hate this damn car, what a piece of crap for 60k. I think it's gonna be time to get a lawyer involved.

My wife mentioned the car was smelling like musty/moldy the other week when I was away for work. Coincidentally my 6 month old now has pneumonia.

Connected? Maybe, maybe not but just seems too coincidental.

Back