cracked windshield, bummer what to do... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cracked windshield, bummer what to do...

hdzrt1ST

Reaction score
City, State
Phelan CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST
Well unlucky night 1564 miles on my new ST and i need a new windshield. any recommendations, go to dealer or ???
I'll have to call insurance company Tuesday, i think i have it covered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd insist on OE glass which for 2020 is a special acoustic windshield featuring two glass layers sandwiching a plastic layer.

@hdzrt1ST

Welcome to the forum!

Just sayin - since you asked - if it were me - I'd start with Safelite (or similar). - but that's me.

LINK: Windshield Repair & Replacement | Safelite

BTW: Again, just sayin' - I don't know who is your insurer, but Nor Cal AAA notified me during a renewal period around 3 years ago that due to the PRK's 3rd world roads, windshields aren't covered any more without a special/extra windshield insurance policy. Also, Insurance companies keep a pretty close eye on what each other do.

A couple of things to think about. 1. When I had my 17 replaced, they had to replace both A Piller mouldings. 2. On the 2020 the front wipers are heated, I believe it's tied into the rear window defrost system.
Just some food for thought
Jeff

A couple of things to think about. 1. When I had my 17 replaced, they had to replace both A Piller mouldings. 2. On the 2020 the front wipers are heated, I believe it's tied into the rear window defrost system.
Just some food for thought
Jeff

I'm going to disagree with the heated front windshield. I am willing to bet it is tied into the heated mirrors. At a certain temp, they will stay on.

With the constant build up of snow down there during storms, I wouldn't think ford would have it setup to constantly turn the rear defroster on every 20 minutes.

I'm going to disagree with the heated front windshield. I am willing to bet it is tied into the heated mirrors. At a certain temp, they will stay on.

With the constant build up of snow down there during storms, I wouldn't think ford would have it setup to constantly turn the rear defroster on every 20 minutes.
On the Aviator the heated wipers will come on and stay on below freezing. Otherwise only when defrost is on or wipers are activated. The Explorer manual isn't as clear and doesn't appear to mention that they will stay on at a certain temperature.

Peter

Back