The Black Hole | Page 149 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 3327 has been selected as best answered.

Whats In A Name?

It was hot humid august night. The winds have all but vanished. I was doing my best to keep the sweat out of my eyes. The A/C was dying in my 94 Explorer, lovingly named "Pugly", and there was no relief in sight. I decided it was time to stop throwing good money into bad. I was gonna do the unthinkable,.......I was going to commit the most heinous crime of them all! I was going to trade Pugly in for a newer model! Oh the heart break! The insanity of it all! I couldn't believe the thoughts were even going through my head.

I managed to get the old girl back home, to her resting place. She seemed at ease in her familiar surroundings. I had to come up with an explanation to let her know of my evil plan. So i just gave her that old wink and grin that she likes to see from me as we made it back home from another day of adventure in the treacherous Midwestern terrain. I did my best in hiding my cynical thoughts, as I walked around to her rear flank and gave her that little pat on her bumper, as I always have when we part for the night.

The next morning I gave her a real good bath, cleaned behind her mirrors, and brushed her grill. She still looked pretty good for her age. Oh sure she had the tell tale signs, gravity has got its firm grip on her, and I am not the best cosmetics guy in the world. she didn't seem to mind too much, she still kept her nose up and drove with pride.

After looking at many vehicles I just could not find anything that had the same feel as my old girl. Then it happened! Was I seeing a mirage? Was I so desperate to find another rig that I was blinded by insanity? I found my replacement! I quickly made a sale with the owner, and brought it home.

When I pulled in the driveway, my heart sunk as I looked into the yard to see my 94 looking at me in disbelief. She was sunning herself in the grass looking all shiny and then, she just looked away from me. My heart was tearing in two. I parked the new rig, and walked up to her and gave her a soft spoken "Hello". No reply. I tried to tickle her mirrors, no response. The tension was so great, you could have cut it with a 32 count fine tooth hacksaw. I had to explain to her that she gave me great satisfaction for many years, and we made a terrific team together, but the time has come for her to just relax and enjoy her final days. She finally revved up, and understood, her days as my work horse has ended (so we thought).

I introduced her to her daily driver replacement. The shiny new(er) next generation of her kind. The 95 Explorer XLT. She warmed right up to it. Before you know it they were swapping stories. Now I had to ask her for help. I needed a name for the new ride,
so I went to find her, and what did I see? Those two were grill to grill in the driveway. rubbing chrome! I had to get the water hose out and break them up! Sheesh, she was acting like a girl at the prom dance! I let the name thing drop for awhile.

The new(er) Ex needed to get its shots, and a physical. When I got the word on it's health, I about had a coronary. "What do you mean Doc"! I yelled. "Your kidding right"? I asked. The Doc just shook his head and gathered his tools. As he walked away, He said it had a 50/50 chance of survival. My stomach knotted up, my teeth ground, my heart raced, and I could feel the energy build up as I let it all out, "Why! Why! Why did this have to happen"! I screamed.

The prognostic exam from the doc was as such. It had a blown steering rack, the shocks were gone, the brakes were non existent, front sway bar was cracked in half, the 3rd brake light was out, none of the windows or the moon roof would work, the door locks were broke, the rear end LS clutch pack was burned up, the tires were all in need of replacement, the spare was a Firestone recall and flat, the engine had a nasty tick to it, the TPS was shot, the MAF was corroded, the battery had a dead cell in it, the hood shocks were not working, the rear hatch lock was jammed up and you couldn't open it with out a key in the lock, The carpet was stained to no repair, the rear window wiper didn't want to work, and we could not tell what year its engine swap came from. it was a mess, to say the least.

I went in the house to get my gun. I was gonna just put it out of its misery right there and then. I suddenly realized I was out of ammo, from shooting at the jeep that was in my field. I went to the computer to find a place to buy some cheap ammo, and I stumbled across this website, explorerforum.com that said it could heal any ford Explorer no matter what the problems were! I jumped for joy, I could not believe the things I was reading! I wore out the search button, asked a bunch of questions. I quickly broke out my pen and paper, feverishly writing down things as I was learning! I had found a cure for everything that was wrong with my new transport. It was a Godsend, an angel from the SUV heavens!

I sprung into action. I worked day and night, Pugly was right by my side the entire time, helping me in any way she could. I never seen this side of her, and was really amazed at how well she handled the pressure. She gently squeegeed the sweat out off my fore head with her soft wiper blades as I worked away. After an entire weekend of work, I collapsed. I needed some rest, and so did the 95. The sun crested over the hills, and awoke me to a new day. I shuffled my feet to the window facing the driveway, peeled the drapes gently back, and peered out at the 95. WOW!
It had a its color back, and was looking great! Now as the time went on, (and most of my paychecks), and the selling of almost everything I own, for funds to get the 95 to its former glory.

After some time to reflect on this name thing, I strolled up and whispered into Pugly's passenger side mirror, and she giggled with delight.

I climbed up onto the front bumper in my pajamas and robe half opened, with a cup of coffee in one hand and the daily newspaper in the other, I raised my arms with out stretched hands and proclaimed the new name of the 95.

BEHOLD...........THE BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!! (Then the neighbor yelled at me to close my robe)

The End................(or is it just the beginning?)

Actually, only some of this really happened. :D

View attachment 324381

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know what else it could be, as it's not burning it. Even if it was, to burn off 2 quarts in a few hundred miles, would make a smoke show every second it was running.

Checking trans fluid level is next! lol

To add, you would have tons of soot in the tail pipe as well. With 2 qts in 200 miles i may not even start lol. Id put my money on the fact that it was not filled.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks guys. I knew it wasn't right. I traced it to see what it was after I posted about it. I just wish I seen Don's post before I finished the oil change, and moved it where it should be. Next oil change, I will correct it after the filter is off.

Ok, so that was a weird find, but this part is downright irritating. Most all already know the history for the last couple years on this thing. Since it has been more a yard ornament than anything while repairs have been made, the oil was the last thing on my mind. I have been so used to the flat straight dipsticks of the OHV, that the 5.0 corkscrewed pigtail dipstick just threw me off balance. It wanted to curl up and make a U when removed. When it said 2 qts low, I was like man, this thing is just goofy, and I don't know how to read it right. No way a fresh rebuilt engine with a few hundred miles can be that low.

Well..... This is what was drained from the engine after 45 mins, with cap and filter off.

View attachment 174742

This is the oil filter drained dry, after the pan was emptied into the jug.

View attachment 174744

In case you can't see the marks on the jug....

View attachment 174745

Yep, that arrow is showing the total amount removed from the engine. The dipstick read right, and 2 qts low is just a slap in the face to me.

I'm no longer shocked by what else I find wrong, but it still stings.

another note, that doesn't look anything like new oil from a fresh rebuild. I have rebuild V8s that i had to use a pick to get the sludge out of the oil drain hole with the consistency of pudding and the oil came out cleaner than your rig. just a thought

I don't check my oil nearly as often as I should. Today's vehicles just don't burn it like the older ones did.

Back to the safety gear... Wear long sleeves to when dealing with a grinder on steel. Bumped against the piece I'd been grinding and....

IMG_20191011_172718967.jpg

Welp...
A) It must not have been filled properly, as I am out of other reasons to be so low.
B) What came out was black as night, and thin as water.
C) Engine ran good, and couldn't tell it was that low.
D) Mike, that's a nasty burn Brother! Ya gotta be more careful in the future! Ouchy!

It's recovering slowly... There was cursing involved. LoL

Went to SMORR (Private off road park) as planned, with @KurtECV for the weekend. Both of us on a relaxing camping / shakedown run, but more of a shakedown for Kurt. He just finished up his 1st gen Sport SAS/SOA, and we used this park as a testing ground. We both have been working hard at getting our rigs ready, and have been trying to do this for months & months now. I am very happy it finally did happen.

This rig needed all the cobwebs cleared, and all the recent repairs, to the previous shop work tested. His needed everything tested under real world use.

Kurt is a few hours away, and I met him at his place, and then we caravan it to the park. Before we could go, he had a slight trailer issue to fix, and I wanted to grease the LBJ's real quick.

Kurt was squeezing away on the gun, and then I seen it. BOTH CV boots cracked open, and slung the magic CV juice all over. We had another repair, before we could head out. lol Once we got our crap together, His son jumped in the RV, and took on the role of co-pilot / navigator. For 7 years old, he is pretty damn good at it.

Park is 4 hours away from home. I left at 9:30am, and we pulled into the campgrounds after 9pm with sleepy kid in tow. Finished setting camp at 12 midnight, and lasted 20 mins in the camp chair before I couldn't see straight anymore. Time for us all to pass out.

7am wake up by the Camp cook, announcing Breakfast was ready by sounding off the big triangle. Grub, finish some camp items overlooked in the dark, and off we went in the rigs. Found the 30* RTI ramp and tested front flex on both rigs. Got his articulation measures as is, and he can fine tune it now. BH did fairly well for an IFS at 47" up, before lifting the rear tire. Kurts Straight axle blew mine away of course, and he has lots of room for improvement left.

Lunch back at camp, and picked up my Brother. He has never done anything like this, so it was a joy to watch him squirm a bit. :D We ran some easy levels in the rain, found some obstacles to climb over, and generally just had a relaxing time with the creek trails that run thru the park. Back to camp for dinner. My brother had enough fun for one day, and headed home. We headed back out in the dark, for some more fun, but this time, we raised the trail difficulty levels.

Being wet and raining, night time in covered woods on the side of the Ozarks Mountain's, the trails seem to add a level, or two to them. lol We had our LED lights blasting into the dark wooded trails, as they snaked around in mostly off camber levels that always lean you to the down slopes. Shining the lights over these edges only make it worse, so best just not do it. Ignorance is bliss they say. After hours of this, we called it, and headed back to camp around 10 pm. Having hot Showered in the awesome ranch style facility's, and feeling refreshed, it was time to make Smores, at SMORR around the campfire. No fancy metal pokers for the sweet fluffy pillow treats, so Kurt sharpened up some tree limb's (sticks). I think he cut a break away notch in mine, as it broke while adding the 2nd marshy marsh. I was wrecked. Cut me deep Kurt, ya cut me deep.

The camp cook woke me again this morning, and after a huge breakfast (something about camping and eating like you haven't in a month), we broke camp, and headed out. BH is back home safe and sound. Will do a thorough post run inspect asap.

Some facts learned on this trip with this new setup. Temps while wheeling: H- 70* / L 52*

Scan gauge showed the engine temps like to hover around 184, trans temps on the Hwy are in the 160's, and never seen it go past 179 with high RPM's on asphalt Mountain hill climbs, while doing 70 mph. On the trails, trans never went over 180. Never had to turn on the pusher fan. On the way there, it averaged 17.5 MPG and 18.2 MPG on the way back. Hills I suppose made the difference. 70 mph at 2200 rpm's. 1st kickdown is 2600, and 2nd kickdown is 3200. Only once did it kickdown far enough and hit 4500 rpms instantly. It all depends on how far I mash the skinny pedal.

I got some go pro footage to go thru and see whats what. If there is anything worth sharing, I will asap. I didn't really take any pictures this trip, so not much to share on my end. Kurt has some from his son. Yep, he was also the photo journalist. He is a multi tasker, for sure.

Ripped CV boots, and some juice splatter. No actual carnage to the joints, as this happened while in route to Kurts, and they was still wet. Both boots tore, and I suspect from sitting for too long while off set from the lift. I thought about re booting them, but the boot kits are almost as much as a new half shaft. Meh.

P side cv boot tear inner.jpg
P side cv boot tear outer.jpg

CV boot juice splatter.jpg

Smorr trip 10_19 Dble Whammy.jpg

That was a good first trip. If the wife lets me, im going to start working on tweaking the shock/spring setup tonight.

Nice!!

On my wifes FJ cruiser we have her lift "stretched out" a bit, meannig the ride height is adjusted to the high side to help clear the tires.
The cheapo lifetime warranty CV axles from Oreilly or Autozone (import direct) last 1-2 years in this rig, usually because the boots tear. The reason is the boot "rib" edges rub on one another (just like in your pictures) until it wears through, then here comes the grease fling fest.
So in recent years I have been removing the factory clamp and adding my own metal zip ties, but before I do I stretch the boot out about 1.5" from the stock location, this keeps the "ribs" from rubbing on one another. So far the CV's are outlasting the previous sets this way, they do not fail nearly as quickly. Maybe something that can help with your IFS setup too....Cheapo cv axles with cheapo cv axle boots, lifetime warranty, takes literally 15 minutes to swap on the FJ since toyota allows us to unbolt the LBJ.

Glad to see these private off road parks popping up, without them we would have a hard time finding so many great places to wheel and camp

Good deal Kurt. Most will park it, cover it, and forget it after a trip out. Stay active on it, and it will be where you want in no time. It was a good weekend. I'm tired, late for work, but hey, memories!

I really like that idea with the boot stretch Jamie!!! I'm going to have to try that on one of my loose spares to see how it goes. Thanks for that!!

This park (Smorr) is always changing. They keep cutting new trails for smaller rigs, and they keep getting tore up by big meats over time. There are so many new trails out there, and so many additions to the old trails, that I don't think the owners even know them all. Hundreds of miles of trails there, most all with good visible signs, but some are still confusing. Maps work pretty good, but as with anything, always room for improvement. I think we managed about 25 miles worth in a day. Some of these trails are miles and miles long. I have been to some parks with trails that are only 300 ft long, and took 1 hour to reach it. Me no like that. Me not go back there...ever.

Yeah I am going to push on with building it right now. The changes that need to be done right now, are minor and easily handled. Not like i am upgrading to a linked system or tons (yet lmao)

Fun fact....

500 mile trip used 1 quart of oil.

After a day of wheeling, I checked it first thing in the morning before start up, and was a pint low. I let it go for the trip back home. Checked it today and was a quart low. :( That is pretty depressing to me. I haven't had to add oil to an engine like this since the early 70's. Refreshed 112k engine my ass.

Need to do a compression / leak down test on all the cylinders, me thinks.

Just gave it a good visual inspection underneath, and I didn't find any trail carnage what so ever. So that's the good side to this post.

:censored::splat:

Been raining for days here, but the Sun decided to come back out, and show it's face this afternoon. It actually warmed up and hit 60* !!

After tackling yard/house chores, I spent a little time messing with this rig.

I noticed on the trails last weekend, that my rear rock lights wasn't working. I traced that down and found a bad connector. Got them working again.

Since I was under the rig, I went ahead and finished up the trailer harness wiring. The reverse light circuit was all that was left. The trailer has some bright reverse LED's, and this rig is getting some 40w reverse flush mount pods. Decided a long time ago, I was going to use the rigs reverse light circuit for a relay trigger, to power the new reverse lights.

Bought a 40 amp waterproof 4 pin relay, and made a harness for it on the bench.

40 amp relay harness loose.jpg

The trigger, light supply, and ground wires are 12 ga. The power supply from battery is 10 ga. I tapped into the 4 ga supply already ran to the rear for the trailer battery charge. Using an Inline split bolt, the 10 ga was clamped tight with wrenches, then sealed with tape, conduit, and more tape.

Split lug separated.jpg

Split lug location on the 4 ga hot wire.jpg

Relay was bolted to the rear cross member, and a SS rubber sleeved clamp was used on the conduit to hold it in place.

40 amp waterproof relay for trailer reverse lights.jpg

Trigger wire was easy breezy. After removing the Dr side tail light, the trigger wire was tapped into the BK/Pink Reverse wire, conduit/taped, and done.

Trailer reverse trigger wire for relay install.jpg

I hate mud. It gets everywhere, and in places you don't even think of when washing. It got up behind the tail lights even! LOL Surface rust has taken hold of the inside of the frame. If I had a shop with a lift, I would be wire brushing that crap off, and painting it all. The OCD in me knows it's there now, and the OCD... don't like it.

I will use the same relay to power the rigs new reverse lights when the time comes. I have a new winter project for this thing, and those lights have to wait for it to be finished.

I am pretty sure the ARB locker install is going to have to wait until next spring, as well as the new ACC fuse box re-wire. Highly doubtful this rig will see anymore action until then as is. Back to lawn ornament status. Guess I can decorate it for Halloween, and the upcoming holidays.

Oh.. I have a brand new set of 91-01 Daystar Poly body mount bushings if anyone is interested. Willing to let them go for half price + shipping. Send me a PM if so.

Daystar, Ford Explorer Polyurethane Body Mounts, fits 1991 to 2001 2/4WD, KF04009BK, Made in America

https://www.amazon.com/Daystar-Expl...63------------&vehicleName=1998+Ford+Explorer

what is "inline split bolt?"
Go

I have an idea what you use it for but how and why have I not heard of this neat little gadget before?
It is almost as if I was under a rock for 10 years, all these fancy doo hickeys online I must know about in case I need them for my fab projects

Hope the weather holds for you! going to be colder here.......

I don't like mud either but I moved to a place where I must learn to live with it. It used to be "oh mud! Fun!" then spend 3-4 days with power washer until the next summer when we find another mud hole. Now its Mud on the way to the house mud on the way out....my 2 mile driveway is mud for part of the year....twice a year. Not your average mud either this stuff is fine silt glacier ground sand turned to goo makes a nice "sucking" sound as the tires tredge through it......slurp slurp... We use the polaris machines for much of it, but the fords must also go through also, this has me working on much "mud control" (flaps made from plastic and rubber) to keep it out of the cracks and crevices.

I wonder if our projects will ever be done? ever?

The inline split bolt is a copper threaded lug, used to tap one wire to another in the middle of a wire run.

We use them in ac wiring when adding something to an existing circuit, when a gang box is not possible. They come in a few sizes, and I used the smallest. It works with 4ga to 14 ga.

To use inline, strip off the wire sheathing just wider than the bolt itself. Slip the bolt over the exposed wire, then add the new wire to the bottom side of the wire, than install the special nut. The nut has a concave bar that seats the added wire to the existing wire flush. It spins inside the nut as you turn it, keeping the 2 wires orientation length wise on each other. Being able to use box wrenches on both the bolt, and nut, you get a super tight clamped connection. These can be had in bigger sizes to accommodate up to 1/0 wire, and everything in between.

20191026_110836.jpg

Yeah, mud sucks. Lol

Fun fact....

500 mile trip used 1 quart of oil.

After a day of wheeling, I checked it first thing in the morning before start up, and was a pint low. I let it go for the trip back home. Checked it today and was a quart low. :( That is pretty depressing to me. I haven't had to add oil to an engine like this since the early 70's. Refreshed 112k engine my ass.

Need to do a compression / leak down test on all the cylinders, me thinks.

Just gave it a good visual inspection underneath, and I didn't find any trail carnage what so ever. So that's the good side to this post.

I missed this post.

Need to look at the spark plugs for a read. When you can remove them and lay out in order for a picture.

edit.
It really bothers me that the folks who did the swap for you used to be very active members on our forum, until an issue arrises and they go into hiding. Not even bothering to check in to help run the place.....

Started a new project for this rig last night. Details in the near future.

This was a new 14" cutting wheel before the bumper work, and after last night, it's due for another. Lol

20191109_090607.jpg

Back