• Register Today It's free!

Help!!!

Matthew Ward

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT 5.0
Ok guys I’m new to the group. I’ve gotten a lot of good info from the posts on here so I’m hoping you guys can help me out. I have a 97 xlt with the 5.0. Today on my way home from work I was getting on the freeway, got on it a little bit like anyone does getting on the freeway unless you’re a jackass lol. Next thing I know the rpms go up and it’s not moving. I pull over put it in neutral then back to drive Manage to get it to third gear then same thing. Rather then push it I stopped and had it towed home. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this before. Side note it’s always slipped since I bout it so I’ve always just kind of guided into gear with the accelerator if that makes sense.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.
How the fluid level?

The 5.0 should have a 4R70W transmission, if it feels like it shifts to neutral on the 3-4 shift that most of the time is a problem with the OD band. Only real hope here is a problem with the OD servo or a valve in the valve body, with the pan off you should be able to tell if the band is broken, if it is you will have to pull the transmission out to repair it.

it could be your AWD t case is shot, if you have one

The 5.0 should have a 4R70W transmission, if it feels like it shifts to neutral on the 3-4 shift that most of the time is a problem with the OD band. Only real hope here is a problem with the OD servo or a valve in the valve body, with the pan off you should be able to tell if the band is broken, if it is you will have to pull the transmission out to repair it.
That’s what it is doing. Around 2nd 3rd fear it pops out into neautral.

Will it look obvious that it’s broken when I drop the pan? And if it’s not what would you suggest next to look for?

Will it look obvious that it’s broken when I drop the pan? And if it’s not what would you suggest next to look for?

It will all depend on what the transmission is actually doing, if you have 1st, 2nd and 3rd just no OD then there is hope.

If you only have 1st and 2nd then its broken to the point that you will have remove the transmission.

So with the OD off do you have one shift from 1st to 2nd or two shifts from 1st to 2nd to 3rd.

If you have 3rd gear you could remove the pan and you might be able to tell if the band has burnt or broken, if it looks good then pull the valve body and inspect the OD servo for a broken snap ring. If one of the two snap rings are broken the pull the plate off the valve body and check the OD servo regulator valve for a piece of that snap ring. It likes to fall down into the valve body and ends up in this valve train.

If no broke snap ring or stuck valve remove the servo, from here you should be able to tell if the band is broken or the servo has failed.

It will all depend on what the transmission is actually doing, if you have 1st, 2nd and 3rd just no OD then there is hope.

If you only have 1st and 2nd then its broken to the point that you will have remove the transmission.

So with the OD off do you have one shift from 1st to 2nd or two shifts from 1st to 2nd to 3rd.

If you have 3rd gear you could remove the pan and you might be able to tell if the band has burnt or broken, if it looks good then pull the valve body and inspect the OD servo for a broken snap ring. If one of the two snap rings are broken the pull the plate off the valve body and check the OD servo regulator valve for a piece of that snap ring. It likes to fall down into the valve body and ends up in this valve train.

If no broke snap ring or stuck valve remove the servo, from here you should be able to tell if the band is broken or the servo has failed.

Awesome. I’m going to start tearing into this weekend and see what I find. Hopefully a cheap fix but it is a Ford after all. Thanks for the tips!!

Back