• Register Today It's free!

only fan speed 4 works

wthomas69

Reaction score
City, State
Amenia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT
I have an 07 XLT, 124000 miles, still very good shape, bought in 08 when gas was way high, haha. The fan only works when set to 4 (doesn't matter if it's on AC or heat/defrost). Was told it was most likely the blower speed controller under the dash. Does this sound right and if so how much is the typical repair with parts and labor?

Its about $50 for the resistor and really easy to do yourself. A shop is probally going to charge you an hour of work plus parts could be as high as a couple hundred bucks.

Here is another thread on where it is and how to replace it.
2008 Explorer XLT blower motor resistor procedure

Depends on if you have manual or auto climate control.

The auto climate control blower motor resistor is about 3 times the cost of the manual version. Both are pretty much identical in replacement method, however..

If you can change your own oil, you can do the resistor. Nothing to it. Drop the glovebox lid down, a small light, and boom, there ya are.

thanks for all the replies and guidance, had it done by my local guy. $150 out the door, parts, labor and tax. I'm a older, big guy with very little patience, hate working in small poorly lit places. The cost was well worth it.

Back