• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Light stuck on Low

KevinM380

Reaction score
City, State
Evanston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
4x4 is not engaged though. It's driving in rear wheels 2wd only. Pressing the buttons for Auto, 4 High, 4 Low don't change anything.

I know exactly when this started happening. I was jumping the battery. As soon as I hooked up the cables, they got very hot and smoking. It was a 24 volt system. Removed cables immediately, but the harm was done.

Radio fuse blew. Fuse fixed that. 4x4 Indicator issue started at that time. I assumed the PCM fuse was blown. It tested good. Replaced anyway, but still have the issue.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

to get out of 4 low you must be stopped and have the shifter in Neutral (NOT PARK) plus foot on the brake

try that and report back

to get out of 4 low you must be stopped and have the shifter in Neutral (NOT PARK) plus foot on the brake

try that and report back

Thanks 410Fortune. I will try that, but it's not actually IN 4x4Low. It's in 2WD, rear only.

well the shift motor on the transfer case thinks otherwise! Only way you get a 4x4 low range light is if the shift motor is in that position
Is it in Low range? (Even with no output to the front diff)

I just tried that. Motor running, Shifter in N, Foot on brake. I selected each option on the panel, but it didn't change.

wild is there anything in the owners manual for a 04 regarding the low range light being on?? Maybe that warning indicator tells us of other issues?
the 02+ gen III trucks are still new to me but brainstorming can sometimes be useful

Solved!! It was fuse 18 (PCM). All others were still good, but this one was blown. I replaced it and now have 4x4 functions back. Thank you TechGuru, and 410Fortune, for guiding me to the solution.

wild is there anything in the owners manual for a 04 regarding the low range light being on?? Maybe that warning indicator tells us of other issues?
the 02+ gen III trucks are still new to me but brainstorming can sometimes be useful
Try moving your shifter indicator towards D or R but not actually engaging. Your neutral safety switch is more than likely out of adjustment or bad...

well the shift motor on the transfer case thinks otherwise! Only way you get a 4x4 low range light is if the shift motor is in that position
Is it in Low range? (Even with no output to the front diff)
Unless they are both fed by the same fuse, it would be possible to get 4X4 LOW "ON" with shift motor fuse blown.

Back