2007 Explorer 4.6L Fuel Pressure Rail issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer 4.6L Fuel Pressure Rail issue

mtbkino

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello folks. I am new to the forums and I came here looking for some help with my 2007 Ford Explorer, 4.6L 4WD. I own several ford vehicles, this explorer, a 2001 Mustang GT and a 2011 Ford F150 (5.0L).

I would like to get some help troubleshooting a check engine light that started showing up on the instrument panel. I am using the FIXD app with the ODB module to get the diagnostic codes off my explorer and I am getting a code P0193, "Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input" reading. This tool also allows me to check the fuel rail pressure, so when I run a live reading of the fuel pressure, it reads between 267kPa and 272kPa, which translates to about roughly 38-39PSI.

Is this normal pressure for this engine? I am wondering if I have a faulty sensor that just needs to be replaced. I am not experiencing any problems with the vehicle, no rough start or idle, no issues with acceleration or power.

Has anyone experienced this before? Would a replacement pressure sensor fix this? Would hate to spend $120 for a new sensor to find I can't return it after installing and it's not the fix for this problem.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

38psi is a normal pressure on the fuel rail.

Thanks for responding.

Is it possible I just have a faulty fuel rail pressure sensor?

I did reset the code but it came back after a few days. The vehicle is performing fine, so I'm just wondering if the sensor is bad.

Could be possible.

I had a head temp sensor bad (it was broken off at the tip), caused my AC to cut off, the temp gauge to show hot (but engine was normal temp).

Wish I'd fixed it first, instead of water pump, fan clutch, and T-stat...along with about 952 gallons of coolant (not literally, but still...was a good bit..)

I'd google, see if the sensor can be tested with an ohm meter...I don't know, never messed with one. Maybe if it's possible, you could test it, see if it's in range.

Seems like an intermittent problem if the FRP is reading correctly when monitored with the scan tool. Can you monitor the sensor voltage?
Service manual lists possible causes as FRP signal short to VREF or VPWR, FRP signal open, damage FRP sensor. It says to monitor the FRP while tapping on the sensor and wiggling the connector and wiring. Could be a rubbed through wire somewhere.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet but the problem is definitely intermittent. My wife has been driving the vehicle and the light went out on its own and hasn't come back on in the last two days. I was planning to pull it off and test it this weekend but I'm beginning to think it may just have a short and needs to be replaced.

Back