‘Ting’ noise while driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

‘Ting’ noise while driving

Whttalon95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited AWD
A few months ago my wife was driving down the road in her 2014 Explorer Limited AWD w/85k miles and the drivers side rear toe link broke in half. We had it towed to the local Ford dealership to be repaired under the recall.

After the repair the Explorer drove fine like it always had until two months ago. She started to complain that her car sounds like “a jackhammer”. I took it out for a ride and sure enough there was a metallic ‘tinging/tink”noise while moving in forward or reverse.

The metallic tink noise seems to resonate as if something is hitting the driveshaft or half shafts as one of them rotates. I put it up on a lift and visually inspected the drivetrain and checked the u-joints. I am running out of ideas, has anyone else experienced this noise? I made a short video of the noise in the link below.

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Silly question but have you checked lug nut torque?.

Silly question but have you checked lug nut torque?.

Hi boomin, thank you for your reply. I was actually thinking that at first too. I checked all the wheel torques and they were okay. I also jacked up each corner and checked the wheel bearings and brakes to ensure the pad brackets etc weren’t rubbing on the rotor.

Wow very odd. It seemed to increase as the wheels were turned, is that right?

Then I'd assume the cv axle was overextended when the link broke and it wasn't noticed till it wore in a way to make the noise you hear. It definitely sounds 1-1 in rotation with the tire.

Another thing could be improper axle nut torque on that rear wheel bearing. Either way damage is done and either wheel bearing or axle needs replacement.

while you're slowly driving forward or reverse can you have someone walk along side the vehicle and maybe pinpoint the location? If not I'd have the shop put it up on the lift and they should be able to locate where the sound is coming from.

Take the playing card out of your spokes.........

Hey guys,

I appreciate all of your responses. I took the vehicle into the dealership today and evidently the the rear driveshaft has a non-replaceable cv-joint on it instead of a u-joint? They stated this is what is making the noise and that I need a new driveshaft.

They said that they have never had one of these fail but it’s not at all related to the recalled toe link breaking and wheel locking up at 50mph. I have a hard time believing it could be unrelated especially since it started right after the toe link incident? What are your thoughts?

If it is driveshaft then it's not relatable to the tow link I wouldn't think. If it's the cv axle that's another story. My money is on CV axle though the way it sounds and seems to go with the tire. Driveshaft spins 3x faster than tire.

Back