2020 reviews are starting to roll in | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 reviews are starting to roll in

They are comparing same price points, not same trim levels. That will always give lower marks to a lower optioned vehicle. In reality, koreans have to give a better value/packages because they are Korean. I'd love to see the top of the line Korean models compare with the Platinum regardless of price point... a top of the line Kia/Hyundai should not be compared to a XLT which is the 2nd lowest trim of the Explorer.

They should absolutely compare the same price points. Most people have a budget for how much car they can afford. So they should know what they can get for that money from one maker to another.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They should absolutely compare the same price points. Most people have a budget for how much car they can afford. So they should know what they can get for that money from one maker to another.

Maybe they should compare real world prices. Reportedly, Tellurides are selling for a few grand above MSRP while Explorers are already heavily discounted. I would agree though that there is no point comparing a vehicles when there is an almost $15k difference in price. Regardless, there is a high likelihood that the Telluride would come out on top vs. the Platinum. I keep reading that one is a cheap Korean car but guess what, both have their share of foreign made components and one is made in Georgia, the other Chicago (UAW).

Maybe they should compare real world prices. Reportedly, Tellurides are selling for a few grand above MSRP while Explorers are already heavily discounted. I would agree though that there is no point comparing a vehicles when there is an almost $15k difference in price. Regardless, there is a high likelihood that the Telluride would come out on top vs. the Platinum. I keep reading that one is a cheap Korean car but guess what, both have their share of foreign made components and one is made in Georgia, the other Chicago (UAW).

Totally agree. If there was a fair, practical method the press could use to calculate real world prices. Maybe team up with Truecar? That's the only reason I bought the '17 Ltd. At $8,200 off sticker I got something like 20 more features than I could get on a Honda Pilot that was only around $2,500 off sticker.

Telluwhat?....stupid name for a car, one reason why I didn't consider it.

Telluwhat?....stupid name for a car, one reason why I didn't consider it.

Not sure I would exclude a vehicle just on it's name ...
As to the Telluride - This is another in the KIA naming convention of Western Cities
Tucson (Arizona), Sedona (Arizona) .... Telluride (Colorado)

Telluride is a beautiful town in Western Colorado with some of the best skiing in North America. The entire town is a U.S. National Historic Landmark. Not a bad choice of name for a SUV, but difficult to live up to.

I kinda think its a bit slimy of MT to use the lower tiered Ford against higher level Toyota and Honda, maybe not an ST or Platinum but at least a Limited. Also MT has always been biased towards the Japanese, it's not impossible but it is hard to find them saying anything negative against a Japanese product.

A lot of what is described here is personal opinion, and especially some of it due to user error or lack of feature comprehension.

Toy and Honda make a very high caliber product, no argument their build quality is high, but from a purely appearance perspective they are disasters.

Toy and Honda make a very high caliber product, no argument their build quality is high, but from a purely appearance and excitement to drive perspective they are disasters.

FTFY.

I bet the Honda and Toyota were sold as complete vehicles. :snicker:

We thoroughly reviewed and drove the honda pilot and passport. Completely disagree with their reviews. Explorer please, even with missing inconsequential items.

Well, I didnt take neither Honda nor Toyota for test drive, so I cant say much about them.
I took Explorer ST recently and I would agree with them, ride was rough due to stiff suspension, though it is ST, probably other trims are smoother.

Well, I didnt take neither Honda nor Toyota for test drive, so I cant say much about them.
I took Explorer ST recently and I would agree with them, ride was rough due to stiff suspension, though it is ST, probably other trims are smoother.

But isn't that why the ST is engineered for those who want performance over everything else? Those who want a nice comfortable ride buy the Limited or Platinum do they not?

So it's well known these come through with over inflated tires. I noted mine was quieter and softer riding after I took about 15 psi out going down to 32ish on an accurate gauge. However, I never found ride or road noise to be a concern even when tires were rock hard. It is supposed to be a sport ST. Its really another unsubstantial ***** put out by some rag.

It isn't a surprise that the overall ride in the ST would be 'rougher' than the other trims. The 5th gen Sport was always advertised as having a 'Sport- tuned' suspension, so I'm guessing the 6th gen has it as well. It has different suspension parts which would provide a somewhat stiffer ride than the other trim levels.

Peter

Another review of 2020 Explorer and it is losing in pretty every category, though it is XLT trim, but higher would not mean any big difference except in engine department.

That's the version of the comparison test that only pits it against the Pilot and Highlander. Here's the link to the version that pits it against 7 other crossovers:

The brand new Explorer came in 8th out of 9th. It even lost to the older Chevy Traverse. Pathetic. The current management at Ford needs to be completely replaced.

Thanks but that doesn't do any color justice. I do not like computer generated colors. I need to see real world pics to get the true color. No different then going to Ford.com and changing the color on the same exact computer model.

That magnetic is not magnetic. This is what magnetic looks like...

Computer image:
View attachment 171288

Real Color:

View attachment 171289

And outside

View attachment 171290
Living in Florida and dealing with the Florida sun from June to November, I've not been a fan of dark colors. Most of our cars have been silver or white/cream for many years. However, I love the look of magnetic metallic. It takes on so many different looks. On a dark, gloomy day, it's just gray. On a bright sunny day, the sparkle really pops. Direct sun in the afternoon and morning gives it some brown notes. Yeah, it's hot when I get in it after work, but opening the windows and sun roof bleed off some of the oven effect.

Living in Florida and dealing with the Florida sun from June to November, I've not been a fan of dark colors. Most of our cars have been silver or white/cream for many years. However, I love the look of magnetic metallic. It takes on so many different looks. On a dark, gloomy day, it's just gray. On a bright sunny day, the sparkle really pops. Direct sun in the afternoon and morning gives it some brown notes. Yeah, it's hot when I get in it after work, but opening the windows and sun roof bleed off some of the oven effect.

My new-for-2021 Carbonized Gray seems somewhat less of an oven than the Kodiak Brown that I had before. At least it cools off a lot quicker, but that may be due to the '21 having just better A/C as opposed to 2017.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back