2" Torsion Twist
1" Body lift
Bilstein 4600 Shocks
Mevotech TTX Ball Joints and Upper Control Arms
Extended swaybar links

Interior
Limited Steering wheel with redundant radio and digital temp controls
Digital HVAC
Custom leather upholstery (red leather in place of perforated leather)

Electronics/Communications
CB Radio

Exterior
Custom chili pepper red Paint PPG concept
Tupperware removed and holes welded up
"Serious Explorations" license plate frames front and back
Cut and re-welded front fenders 5" to clear larger tires
Limited Color Keyed Front Grill
Painted Rear Bumper
Chopped front bumper bed-lined

Sound
JVC KW-NT300 Nav/DVD/CD head unit
PAC adapter for steering wheel controls
Kicker DS68 6x8 Coaxial speakers
OEM 8" sub
SiriusXM

Exhaust
Flowmaster Super 44

Replaced:
Fuel tank
Cats
Tailpipe
Leaf Springs
Steering Rack
Inner Tie Rods
Front 4.10 Diff
Water Pump
CPS and Synchronizer
Radiator
A/C System
Front O2 Sensors
Muffler
Wheel Bearings
Multiple Fuel Pumps
Motor Mounts
Transmission mount

Rebuilt
Transmission
Engine

Kris' Old Registry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, new thoughts on Red. I am turning him back into a cruiser and making Stripe the off-road b!tch.

To that end, he will be dropping a tire size and going back to 31's, some of the lift is coming off, probably the Warrior shackles and the torsion twist. He is going to get a new front bumper. I am up in the air whether I want to make him AWD or leave the 4406, I doubt he will be doing much off-roading anymore. I have already removed his roof rack.

He will also be getting Bilstein shocks, his rear sway bar back, and I might put him back to 3.73's. Anything to make the ride more comfortable while maintaining his look.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Soooo....

Found out why Red was losing power on #8 cylinder. Guys at Bandit Customs, @Kris Guilbeaux and @NICE59FORDF100 , helped me get the replacement heads ready for Red last week and we tore down the engine last Saturday.

As we started taking everything off (and after we broke the stupidly located front lower intake manifold bolt off in the old head) we found nothing that would cause the power loss. Well until we put the #8 cylinder at top dead center and it didn't quite make it. Yup, that's right, thanks to Harvey and my idiocy, Red has a bent connecting rod. :banghead:

What's surprising is that I put over 3000 miles on that engine while it was like that and it never skipped a beat. Had a vibration, gas mileage sucked, and their was a definite loss in power, but it still ran. God, these are tough engines.

So now he sits with his engine half disassembled while I decide whether to rebuild the lower end or just put in another used engine. FML. :(

All I know for sure is that Red will run again!

IMG_20191012_153550.jpg
IMG_20191012_153608.jpg
IMG_20191012_155959.jpg
IMG_20191012_160105_01.jpg

I just love those lower intake bolts......an oh man the one drawback of the 302 the dang LIM and timing cover bolts!

how do you thinkn the rod got bent?

Keep the 4406, street queen or not the AWD is a MPG and passing power sucker..........MPG is lost in the form of HEAT and clutch wear.. I prefer a real t case, no clutches!!

During Harvey, I attempted to help someone stranded in the flood waters with food and water, but the road got too deep too fast and Red went in nose first. Wound up pushing him out of the water by myself in the pouring rain far enough to clear the water out of the engine bay and managed to get him started and back onto high ground. Don't know if it was bent during the dunk or when I restarted him, but I had little choice in the matter, the water was rising too fast and if I didn't get him out then, I would be looking at him (probably missing a few parts) on a tow truck after being in a bad part of town for several days. :(

But that's ancient history, Harvey hit a lot of people way harder than me and I got damn lucky that all that happened to me was a trashed front diff and a bent piston rod on my backup vehicle.

I am going to keep the 4406. Apart from the engine rebuild he needs new front suspension, cats, and other miscellaneous parts to bring him back to spec. Kris and Russell have been great helping me out with Red and storing him for a year. Thanks to their help he'll be running like new in no time.

The Red Bull Rebuild starts now!!!

Red is now on the road to recovery, due date December 21st, 2019. (That's the cutoff date for when I need a reliable vehicle to go to Chicago to see my parents for Christmas and New Years.)

I just bought nearly all of the parts he needs for the engine rebuild (and then some) and shipped them to Bandit Customs. Once I have some further information on the block after it has been machined I will order the pistons and rings.

You also my notice that I ordered under several different years of Explorers. That's because Red has a 98 body, but an engine out of a 2000 Mountaineer.

Order Part 1.PNG

Order Part 2.PNG

Kris and Russell graciously offered to help me put Red back together in time to meet my crazy deadline. :help:

Starting next weekend 11/2-11/3, I will be pulling out the broken V8, gutting it to the block, and getting it dropped off at the engine builders. Some suspension work may occur and maybe I'll be able to locate a replacement 4.10 front diff so Red won't be a neutered 2WD anymore. :bounce:

Yet to be bought:
Replacement Bilstein shocks
New 33" tires (haven't decided on which ones yet)

Still deciding if I'm going to cam this engine yet. Waiting on some further info before I make that call.

Stay tuned, this is gonna be fun!

I am going to use this post to keep a running tally of everything I've bought for Red for future reference. (Prices are rounded to the nearest dollar)

Purchased so far 11/13/19:

Engine:
Crankshaft - $179
8 Injectors - $137
16 Lifters - $82
8 Spark Plugs (Motorcraft) - $26.00
Spark Plug Wire Set (Motorcraft) - $89
8 Connecting Rods - $182
Engine Gasket Set - $75
Oil Pump - $31
Flexplate - $31
Cam bearings - Installed at Machine Shop
Idler Pulley - $11

Cooling System:
Water Pump - $34
Thermostat - $10
Fan Clutch - $90
Fan Blade - $38
Radiator Cap - $3
Radiator - $62
Coolant Recovery Tank - $24
Coolant Temp Sensors - $6

Brakes
Front Brake Lines - $22
Front Rotor and Brake Pad Kit (Sport Trac Brake Upgrade) - $87

Suspension:
L+R Upper Control Arms (Mevotech Terrain Tough) - $144
L+R Lower Ball Joints (Mevotech Terrain Tough) - $56
L+R Rear Swaybar Links - $15
Rear Leaf Springs - $244
F+R Bilstein 4600 3" Lift Shocks - $275

Steering:
Power Steering Rack w/ L+R Inner Tie Rods - $182
L+R Outer Tie Rods (Mevotech Terrain Tough) - $50
Power Steering Pressure Hose - $6

A/C:
Compressor - $121
Evaporator Core -$44
Condenser - $60
Accumulator - $15
Orifice Tube - $1

Exhaust:
L+R Catalytic Converters - $485
L+R Upper O2 Sensors - $58
Exhaust Pipe - $58

Body:
Lift Supports for Rear Glass - $21
3 Door Strikers - $19

Drivetrain
4.10 Front Differential - $18
Transmission mount - $4

Upgrades:
4 285/75R16 BFG All-Terrain KO's - $844
L+R Clear Headlights and Side Markers - $81
LED 6000K Headlights - $40
Sirius XM tuner for Radio - Free (Gift Card)
CompCam XE264HR cam - $275
986-16 Dual Valve Springs - $88
768-16 Valve Retainers - $44
601-16 Valve Locks - $17
7701-1 Push Rod Length Checker - $26
4WD Sport Trac Knuckles for larger rotors - $161
OBX Headers - $546

Miscellaneous Parts - $12

Shipping: $194
Sales Tax on RA Parts: $219
Other Parts Sales Tax: $77

Total: $5,719

Budget: $5000 $6500

Remaining: $781

What's left:

Cost to Machine Block - $490
Pistons - $174
Piston Rings - $33
Push Rods - ?
Camshaft Synchronizer and Sensor - $49
Timing Set - $16
Power Steering Pump - $33 (+$66 core)
Cracked Windshield Replacement - $250

Miscellaneous Fluids/Parts - ?

HOWEVER, that's IF I don't add any more upgrades: No camming the engine which will require different valve springs, push rods, spring retainers, and, of course, the cam ($600) . Also no OBX headers ($546), no new steel front bumper ($450), steering wheel recover ($400), or upgraded head unit ($350). :oops:

If I even get half of that stuff, I'm going to fly past the budget so fast it won't even see the tail lights! :burnout::eek:

Well, I pulled the trigger on the cam (XE264HR) and just put the budget in the rear view mirror. :wave:

If I'm gonna do this, I might as well do it right. Red deserves nothing less.

smart man
Parts are cheap, labor is expensive
That cam is impressive!!!

Thanks to the info @410Fortune gave me about the valve springs and retainers, those are now on order as well!

Here are the part numbers that I ordered for my 2000 model year GT40p engine (going into 07 Ranger):

cam xe264HR-14
986-16 valve springs 1.430" FOR 984-974
768-16 steel retainers 1.437"
601-16 super valve locks 11/32" (7 degree slope)
503-16 valve seals 11/32" PTFE
7701-1 pushrod length checker

I would get TWO of the valve seal installation tool (plastic sleeve/condom) mine was barely holding on when I pressed on the last 3-4 valve seats it would be nice to have two of these.
They protect the seal from hitting any ridges on the valve stem as you press the seal into position.
Also they sell a valve seal installation tool, I simply used two sockets and pressed them in two stages.

Here are the part numbers that I ordered for my 2000 model year GT40p engine (going into 07 Ranger):

cam xe264HR-14
986-16 valve springs 1.430" FOR 984-974
768-16 steel retainers 1.437"
601-16 super valve locks 11/32" (7 degree slope)
503-16 valve seals 11/32" PTFE
7701-1 pushrod length checker

I would get TWO of the valve seal installation tool (plastic sleeve/condom) mine was barely holding on when I pressed on the last 3-4 valve seats it would be nice to have two of these.
They protect the seal from hitting any ridges on the valve stem as you press the seal into position.
Also they sell a valve seal installation tool, I simply used two sockets and pressed them in two stages.

Coincidentally, the engine in Red is also a 2000!

When I had the heads rebuilt they already put in new valve seals, so I just needed the springs, retainers, and locks. It'll take a couple of weeks to get the engine back from the machine shop to check for push rod length, however.

Got the engine out of Red Saturday and proceeded to tear it down....it isn't pretty :(

IMG_20191102_150933_01.jpg

Camshaft and lifters were fine, but once I took off the oil pan... Sufficed to say the rotating assembly was trashed.

Oil pan removed

IMG_20191102_184053.jpg

Yes, those are pieces of piston in the oil pickup

oilpumppickup.jpg

Debris in the oil pan

IMG_20191102_184102.jpg

Apparently the 302 has a built in method to continue to run with bent rods (yes, plural I'll get to that.) Apparently the crank can self clearance the offending piston.

piston8selfclearancing.jpg

So we started removing the rod bearings... LOTS of metal contamination

IMG_20191102_190513.jpg

Back to the bent rods. Apparently cylinder 6 also got it's nose out a joint...

cylinder6connectingrod.jpg

But not as bad as #8

cylinder8connectingrod.jpg

On to the main crank bearings...

Just a tad scored

IMG_20191102_192333.jpg

Crank

IMG_20191102_192315.jpg

Also remember this engine still ran like this for 3000 miles after it got dunked.

Fortunately it looks like just boring out the cylinders should save the block.

cylinder6.jpg

IMG_20191102_184053.jpg

oilpumppickup.jpg

piston8selfclearancing.jpg

IMG_20191102_192315.jpg

302 is one tough SOB
holy crap that is some carnage!

Well the block was dropped off at the machine shop Monday, fingers crossed everything is good!

To note, the cam did NOT come with cam bearings, so I am just going to have the machine shop press some in. Turn around looks to be about a week. In the meantime I brought the engine mount "wings" back with me as well as the oil pickup tube and the driver's side accessory bracket. Bracket and pickup tube are going to be dunked in the wash tank and the wings are getting sand blasted. Everything but the pickup tube will be painted. I'm looking at a red on black theme for the engine. I think it will turn out well.

Just ordered a used set of 4WD Sport Trac knuckles for Red. Moving up to the big 12" brakes for those 33's! (3/4" larger than standard, 11.26" -> 12.01") They also had the 48mm dual piston calipers on these years instead of the standard 45mm.

Gotta wait to find a '03-up Sport or Sport Trac to get the bigger rear brake brackets. These are also bigger rotors, nearly 5/8" larger than standard (11.2" -> 11.81").

Engine mount plates cleaned and painted.

IMG_20191107_063717.jpg

Finally some good news!

I found a low mileage (only 107k) 4.10 front diff replacement for Red...for $18 at the Austin LKQ! That's WAY under what I budgeted.

Also the 4.10 rear axle in Red is good so I do not need to replace that. So all in all I am $382 ahead.

The "new" front knuckles for larger brakes showed up. I should be hearing on Monday on the new bore size on the engine so I can order the pistons and rings.

It's all coming together. :burnout:

So tired of buying parts...I want to see some results from all this money I'm dropping. :bounce:

Also the damn machine shop keeps pushing back the date on when they can send me the new bore size. :angryfire:

As of this upcoming weekend, I'll start putting the new suspension and steering components in Red along with the front diff. Also going to try and get the new tires mounted and sell the old 33's and get some money for this project.

Anybody interested in some seriously heavy duty Fallen Rocky Mountain 285/75/16E's with about 75% life?:D

I am! But I am at the wrong border
need 285 16 for a 98 Ranger we are building...such a popular size its hard to find a smokin deal

Back