2005 ford explorer "engine on safe-mode" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 ford explorer "engine on safe-mode"

esj01142005

Reaction score
City, State
abu dhabi uae
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford explorer 2005
while on a traffic line, the engine of my 2005 ford explorer seems wanted to stop and seems something had choked it. I noticed from the message center "ENGINE ON SAFE MODE" is written so i immediately turned-off the engine. Then i started it again, it started and running fine again. Can somebody please explain to me what had just happened to my car and what was the cause of that incident.

Is the check engine light on?

There could be a number of different issues, best to hook up an OBD scanner to see what codes may be stored.

Throttle body gave bad information and put the vehicle in safe mode. Basically a safety feature if the throttle body goes crazy it shuts it down to idle only. I'd assume the problem is with the throttle body or harness going to it. I wouldn't bother cleaning it, I'd just replace it.

The same thing happened to my 2005 Explorer RSC while driving. Shut off and won’t start now. Turnsover and almost starts but won’t stay on. Since this happened, it now says low oil pressure and engine fail safe mode. Could mine be a throttle body as well? Is that the best part to start with replacing parts before i waste money replacing unnecessary things. I made a post of my problem in detail under 2001-2005 Explorer sport trac thread if you want to check it out but the jist is, i was driving, sitting at a light and the car just went quiet like the battery died but nothing was dim and every thing running off the battery was working fine. So i turned the key off and tried to restart it and it turnsover but doesn’t start or stay on at all no longer than half second and boom right back off. Since this happened, it now says engine fail safe mode and low oil pressure

Back