Help Please: Parts difference from Gen 1 and Gen 2 sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Please: Parts difference from Gen 1 and Gen 2 sport

MIngramExplorer97

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, Explorer Sport
Hi, So recently the transmission in my explorer went out on me and I cant jusitfy spending that kind of money and time into it. Nor do I have the time to do it.

I've found a 94 Explorer which I know is the first gen, and the one I currently have is a 2nd gen sport.

I was curious how many parts carry over that I could take off my old one before I send it off to explore in greener pastures. I have put quite a lot of new parts on the one I have, It would be great if some of those parts would fit on the prior gen. I haven't purchased the 94 one yet, Not until I know this answer.

I appreciate everyone's advice and info. Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You didn't mention whether your 97 (by your sig) is 2wd or 4wd or if either truck has an automatic or manual; those issues aside, the disc brake rear end in the 97 should bolt in the 94. Other items that may swap:

-If its a 4.0l OHV the long-block should swap over
-Seats
-Speakers
-Rims/tires
-Carpet(maybe)
-rear differential/leaf springs
-Manual transmission/ manual transfer case (manual transmission may require the swap some electronics for it to work)

Without knowing more about the two trucks here are a few items that will NOT directly swap:

-Any of the front suspension/differential/brakes
-Automatic Transmissions (unless you convert the 94 from ODB I to ODB II)

I don't know a lot about the 94 yet. The current owner isn't very knowledgeable as the truck belonged to his father who passed and he doesn't want it.

My 97 is a V6 4.0 sohc 4wd automatic transmission. Sport.

Thank you for pointing that out as I for some reason didn't think of it.

I think the list provided is about all that will work between the two trucks without a significant amount of fabrication, wiring, etc to make the engine/transmission work.

Probably your best bet is to either replace/rebuild the transmission in the 97 or part it out to offset the purchase of the 94 and anything it might need to get it up to speed.

I was more or less hoping to keep the 97 as a parts vehicle which would make the 94 even more worth buying, I don't plan on doing anything with the transmission or engine other than sale them or scrap them. I just hate to lose all the brand new parts on the 97. I appreciate the input.

Back