Can I use 87 Octane fuel?

• Best fuel to use

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Will 87 run OK

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters
Where I fill up, 91 is approx. 65 cents (CDN) a US gal. more than 87.:(

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's crazy is cost of 89 and 93 is about 5 cents more than 87 yet charge 20 +/- increments.

While the ECM can and does adjust on the fly for octane variations, y'all are forgetting a very important part of the equation. These are direct injection fuel systems. Quality fuel will more than pay for itself regarding longevity.

Let's keep this thread on topic please. Since we don't have a dedicated thread, any posts re Catch cans can be posted in the following thread; Oil Change Question

Peter

I out 93 in yesterday and will run it for a few tanks. It is my wife's daily driver and her route is always the same so without telling her, I am curious to see her average now. She gets 21.6-21.9mpg on 87 consistently. Where I filled up was 40 cents more per gallon so about $6 a tank each week more.

So 1st tank of 93 and my wife topped off and mixed 87 mid week. So much for getting a good test of 93.

Anyways mixed gas, same commute got us 23mpg so over 1 full mpg more, same commute and driving habits. Put another tank of 93 and told her to keep putting 93 in. I am assuming I'll be a full 2mpg more with 93. If that's the case with a 40 cent premium , It would be costing me $6 a tank roughly more and then subtract the 1 1/2 gallons of fuel savings per tank ($5.40 @ $2.64/gallon).

Will report back after another week

So 1st tank of 93 and my wife topped off and mixed 87 mid week. So much for getting a good test of 93.

Anyways mixed gas, same commute got us 23mpg so over 1 full mpg more, same commute and driving habits. Put another tank of 93 and told her to keep putting 93 in. I am assuming I'll be a full 2mpg more with 93. If that's the case with a 40 cent premium , It would be costing me $6 a tank roughly more and then subtract the 1 1/2 gallons of fuel savings per tank ($5.40 @ $2.64/gallon).

Will report back after another week

Were you able to see any improvements with 93?

Were you able to see any improvements with 93?

I am getting about 22.5mpg per tank. I figured I am saving about $2 per tank with the increased mpg of about 1-1.5. It is a $7.50 increase in cost so I am netting about a $5 increase per tank (1 tank a week). So fuel is about $20 more a month for me to run 93 instead of 87.

I'm willing to bet in the summer heat with summer blend I would double that and net $3 or so more per tank taking mpg increase vs cost increase into account.

Reality is, I am ok with $5 more a week to get optimum performance.

We are getting 23 mpg highway on round trips from sea level to mountain level here in nh.
By comparison my 4x4 Colorado 3.6 v6 gets 25mpg on that trip with 93 octane, and our dodge journey 3.6 v6 gets 26mpg, 87 octane.
Im thinking it Should get better as everything loosens up with the ST.

My first 30 or so miles, i'm getting just 10mpg. Did you guys see same? Little too early but i'm kinda worried.

My first 30 or so miles, i'm getting just 10mpg. Did you guys see same? Little too early but i'm kinda worried.

Reset it. You are seeing the long periods of idling from factory to transport and from dealer.

You cant tell anything from 30 miles.

I am getting about 22.5mpg per tank. I figured I am saving about $2 per tank with the increased mpg of about 1-1.5. It is a $7.50 increase in cost do I am betting about a $5 increase per tank (1 tank a week). So fuel is about $20 more a month for me to run 93 instead of 87.

I'm willing to bet in the summer heat with summer blend I would double that and net $3 or so more per tank taking mpg increase vs cost increase into account.

Reality is, I am ok with $5 more a week to get optimum performance.
Yeah, I’m getting ~22.5 on 93 on a full mixture of driving conditions. Very happy, as I was lucky to get 18 on the old Flex.

I’m seeing right at 21, but I drive from 4,000’ to sea level and back everyday with some freeway stop and go. 91oct Cal bend is most likely not the best fuel out there either.

We are getting 23 mpg highway on round trips from sea level to mountain level here in nh.
By comparison my 4x4 Colorado 3.6 v6 gets 25mpg on that trip with 93 octane, and our dodge journey 3.6 v6 gets 26mpg, 87 octane.
Im thinking it Should get better as everything loosens up with the ST.
The Manual suggests waiting until you have 2000 miles on the engine before starting to do regular mpg checks.

Peter

This recent purchase is for my wife and is hopefully the last combustion engine I own. 2 more years on my Audi then onto a Tesla, Then we can argue about what type of Electricity is best. LOL

The discussion will be all about batteries, which will need significant improvement before an electric vehicle will be suitable to my use.

The discussion will be all about batteries, which will need significant improvement before an electric vehicle will be suitable to my use.

The battery technology is there, but the charger network needs to dramatically increase. I never thought I would like an Electric until I had my friend's Tesla for a weekend. all I can say is WOW, but still a long way yo go.

But that is a discussion for later.

I would strongly disagree. The current storage technology based on lithium chemistry lacks in energy storage capacity per volume and weight, also the chemistry is only marginally stable and difficult to deal with in the event of thermal runaway. For now, petrol is the only energy storage medium that an meet my usage needs. Someday that may change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where I fill up, 91 is approx. 65 cents (CDN) a US gal. more than 87.:(

Peter

Peter

I stopped at my local Esso station tonight, and after looking at this thread I decided to look at
the cost difference from 87 to 91
87 $1.08.9 cnd
91 $1.33.9 cnd

So around $1.04 cnd per US gallon difference :mad::(

Brian

Back