Contribute your experience: Ford Explorers 2016-2019 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Contribute your experience: Ford Explorers 2016-2019

unspecifieduser

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I'm in the market for a new vehicle and was considering 2016-2019 model Explorers. I'm just getting into looking into these models, but wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts about changes across those years and whether there were aspects worth considering or things to stay away from.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy a 17+ (sync 3) and make sure it is within the b2b warranty so you can buy a Ford ESP on it.

I agree with Smoke. The biggest regret I have my with 16X is not having Sync3. If I would have known I would have waited for a 17X.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just looked and it looked like a lot of grumbling about that issue and good to know to look for 2017+ models.

Are these years pretty much the same mechanically? Does anybody do much work on their Explorer and are there any design issues - good or bad - that you've encountered?

Any feedback on what you like about the trim levels? XLT, limited, etc?

To short circuit some of your questions as to what are major issues with this generation of Explorer, go to the top of forum introduction page and click "Replies". It will show you the threads that have received the most responses and more or less focuses on the major issues. In summary, it's not maintenance friendly engine, somewhat of an afterthought by the engineers who designed this generation.

I bought a '19 new - I would echo what others have said. I think the main thing '18-19 has that '16-17 doesn't would be built in WiFi depending on trim level? The other thing is the CO issue from exhaust, that was solved after '17 so if you're worried about that do a LOT of research on any particular VIN you are considering.

I'm in the market for a new vehicle and was considering 2016-2019 model Explorers. I'm just getting into looking into these models, but wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts about changes across those years and whether there were aspects worth considering or things to stay away from.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Welcome to the Forum.
I think that of all the issues you could possibly have, this may be the most expensive one; Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Peter

I traded my '13 Sport for a '19 and I am disappointed. My biggest disappointment is in performance. My '19 doesn't have near the power of my '13. I think it's a transmission mapping change that seems to always have it a gear to high. Probably done to gin up fuel economy. Also, there are a few features that aren't in the '19, like hill hold.
My hope is that when I bring it in to the dealer for service, they will discover a turbo plumbing problem that is resulting in the power loss.

I traded my '13 Sport for a '19 and I am disappointed. My biggest disappointment is in performance. My '19 doesn't have near the power of my '13. I think it's a transmission mapping change that seems to always have it a gear to high. Probably done to gin up fuel economy. Also, there are a few features that aren't in the '19, like hill hold.
My hope is that when I bring it in to the dealer for service, they will discover a turbo plumbing problem that is resulting in the power loss.
According to your Owner's Manual the 2019 Explorer like those 5th gens before it, DOES have Hill Start Assist. It is discussed in the Manual.

Peter

What trim level are you looking at?
I'm happy with the 2017 platinum with CarPlay, and massaging seats, but there are 2 features on the '18 that I would have liked to have - actual LED fog lamps (it's a small light instead of the big lamp), and auto stop/start in the auto cruise control. If the auto cruise control goes below 12mph, it turns off and yells at you to take over in the 2017. The 2018 will just stop and continue when the traffic continues (at least what I've heard about it).

The 2017 Platinum does have actual LED foglamps. The external shape doesn't matter. Also, the 2018 Adaptive Cruise Control works just like the 2017. It will not function under 12 mph.

Peter

The 2017 Platinum does have actual LED foglamps. The external shape doesn't matter. Also, the 2018 Adaptive Cruise Control works just like the 2017. It will not function under 12 mph.

Peter

this is correct. I think auto start stop is now a feature in the 2020.

Back