To buy or wait | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To buy or wait

You never, ever, want to buy the first year of a new model, or complete makeover. And really, you are taking chances on the 2nd year as well. Those are both basically Beta versions, waiting for the consumers to sort out problems. By the 3rd year, most of the issues are sorted out, and it's pretty safe to buy. I'd wait for the 2022 model to come out.

And then you miss out on 2-3 years of fun and enjoyment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We're getting close! $46k (MSRP is nearly $60k). Only $1k away! As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I thought we'd see 25% off by Spring of 2020, but it's happening in November of 2019. Check it out!

2020 Ford Explorer ST For Sale | Falls Church VA

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 5.17.16 AM.png

Man, these new Explorer's are VERY expensive ($46k for a SUV!! :eek:).

However, they look really good, have a lot of power (but yet can only tow as much as a two decade old Explorer with a pushrod V8, despite going back to rear wheel drive :wtf:), good gas mileage, turbo engines, and some pretty nice gadgets.

Personally, I'd wait to pick one up used. You can always add the "New Car Smell" scent tree afterward. :D

We're getting close! $46k (MSRP is nearly $60k). Only $1k away! As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I thought we'd see 25% off by Spring of 2020, but it's happening in November of 2019. Check it out!

2020 Ford Explorer ST For Sale | Falls Church VA

View attachment 175772

Putinbay - Good luck getting that price,I would have thought you read the fine print better before throwing you're yet again misinformed post. I just contacted Koons from their website, got a call right back (now I'll get calls all week). Per the fine print on their website, they add back freight $1195 (per them) and a $795 processing fee and at their WOW price you must finance the vehicle through their lender, they would not confirm the conditions of the loan over the phone? On a $59,125 sticker ST, I was quoted an out of state buyer price, including freight ($1195 per them) and their fore mentioned processing fee ($795) an out the door price of $52,253 before taxes, tags for an 11.6% price reduction. That's a great price for an ST, slightly better than my local dealer even if they used the $750 select inventory rebate on older units. FWIW - I received 10% off the sticker on my ST back in Sept. 19'. The Explorer rebates have been fluctuating slightly over the last 3 months, ticking up surprisingly towards the end of each month and were recently more aggressive at the end of October 19' on XLT's & Limited's but less on ST's & Plat's. Being the ST's are selling so well (1/3 of all Explorer sales), I expect Ford to follow a similar rebate philosophy they use on their F150's whereas they give the much larger rebates on the XL & XLT's and even Lariats F150's (volume units) than offer much less in rebates on their premium (Platinum, KR, etc.) F150 models. Thus, I expect to see less in rebates on the Explorer ST & Plat's vs. the XLT's & Limited model Explorers. I love my ST, no issues in 1700 miles, 400/415 all day every day, so happy to be an early adopter...

Putinbay - Good luck getting that price,I would have thought you read the fine print better before throwing you're yet again misinformed post. I just contacted Koons from their website, got a call right back (now I'll get calls all week). Per the fine print on their website, they add back freight $1195 (per them) and a $795 processing fee and at their WOW price you must finance the vehicle through their lender, they would not confirm the conditions of the loan over the phone? On a $59,125 sticker ST, I was quoted an out of state buyer price, including freight ($1195 per them) and their fore mentioned processing fee ($795) an out the door price of $52,253 before taxes, tags for an 11.6% price reduction. That's a great price for an ST, slightly better than my local dealer even if they used the $750 select inventory rebate on older units. FWIW - I received 10% off the sticker on my ST back in Sept. 19'. The Explorer rebates have been fluctuating slightly over the last 3 months, ticking up surprisingly towards the end of each month and were recently more aggressive at the end of October 19' on XLT's & Limited's but less on ST's & Plat's. Being the ST's are selling so well (1/3 of all Explorer sales), I expect Ford to follow a similar rebate philosophy they use on their F150's whereas they give the much larger rebates on the XL & XLT's and even Lariats F150's (volume units) than offer much less in rebates on their premium (Platinum, KR, etc.) F150 models. Thus, I expect to see less in rebates on the Explorer ST & Plat's vs. the XLT's & Limited model Explorers. I love my ST, no issues in 1700 miles, 400/415 all day every day, so happy to be an early adopter...

Completely correct which is how I came up with the $2k extra just in fees. I dealt with Koons in Baltimore and they were around $54k for a $59,6xx sticker. Their advertised price excludes the destination fee on the sticker. Benefit of Baltimore is Maryland caps the doc fees at $299.

I have said it before, on a $60k sticker price, there is only about $5,000 in dealer profit. You wont be able to get it much cheaper then that prior to rebates. This breaks down to about $2k from sticker to invoice, $2k from invoice to holdback and $995 of floor plan assistance that dealers usually never offer up.

I bought my Star White Platinum on 8/11. Its build date was 6/5/19, and I've had no issues with it. Have had it in for both recalls, which neither ended up applying to my vehicle. It's been quite the upgrade from my old '97 Explorer, which was a workhorse.

Scott

2020 Platinum Star White
1997 XLT Deep Emerald Green (traded in on 2020)

...I just contacted Koons from their website, got a call right back (now I'll get calls all week). Per the fine print on their website, they add back freight $1195 (per them) and a $795 processing fee and at their WOW price you must finance the vehicle through their lender, they would not confirm the conditions of the loan over ...

Thank you for checking on this! Definitely seemed too good to be true, especially a whole 6 months before my earlier prediction. I still predict that I'll be able to buy an ST with an MSRP of $60k for somewhere around $45k sometime between the Spring of 2020 and the Fall of 2020. This number, of course, will include all dealer discounts, factory rebates, private offers, etc. I know it will be tough! I'll be sure to post my deal when it happens :).

Heck, I already have a dealer willing to give up all their holdback and floorplan assist for a total dealer discount of $5120, before rebates, no trade, MSRP of $59,620, plus $189 doc fee.

Thank you for checking on this! Definitely seemed too good to be true, especially a whole 6 months before my earlier prediction. I still predict that I'll be able to buy an ST with an MSRP of $60k for somewhere around $45k sometime between the Spring of 2020 and the Fall of 2020. This number, of course, will include all dealer discounts, factory rebates, private offers, etc. I know it will be tough! I'll be sure to post my deal when it happens :).

Heck, I already have a dealer willing to give up all their holdback and floorplan assist for a total dealer discount of $5120, before rebates, no trade, MSRP of $59,620, plus $189 doc fee.

I bought mine in VA (not from Koons) and I paid $52,2xx plus their stupid $799 doc fee. This included the $1,250 private rebate and I know for a fact they lost money on it. Only way to get them cheaper is better rebates. There were no Ford rebates at the time so I was and still am very happy with the deal I got when I bought in early August. We know as early adopters we are going to pay more then if we waited 6-10 months BUT knowing the deal I got, I've been able to enjoy it for the past 6,000 miles and still have one of the best (legit deals with no fluff) deals out there so far.

I do not believe you will see anything until the 2021 order banks open and starting production to clear out the 2020s. Now if Ford offers the $4k PCO that they were running on 19s, then that will be an awesome deal. In order to get the numbers you are saying, Ford would have to run $8-$9,000 rebates and that isn't going to happen. They did huge deals on the 19s to get them out because we knew the all new design was coming and people were going to wait. 2020 to 2021 will not by anything different (paint colors, maybe sync 4) but nothing to throw $8,000 on the hood.

Ford's #1 profit vehicle (F series) usually gets 10-12% off, a few people have been able to pull 15-18% off if the timing is perfect. You won't get 25% on a lower profitable vehicle.

Picked up my 2020 Star White Platinum on 11/4, had a build date of 6/25, was concerned about the build date and recalls but the dealer worked with me on my 2014 Limited Explorer trade to make the $ work the way I wanted. No issues at this point, recently got the OEM floor liners for 1st & 2nd row, they are nicer than the Weathertech ones I had on the 2014. Nice heavy rubber with full coverage for the foot area.
T Bill

upload_2019-11-17_9-55-17.jpeg

They are almost identical to the ones that came in my Aviator. The difference is that mine has Aviator on them and the pattern is different. I'm still curious as what the Husky ones will look like.

Peter

They are almost identical to the ones that came in my Aviator. The difference is that mine has Aviator on them and the pattern is different. I'm still curious as what the Husky ones will look like.

Peter

They told me December for a release on the Husky.

I had mine for a week, took it in for winter tires, then had to drive a loaner Escape for a week while they figured out what caused the vehicle to die during the winter tire drive test (turned out to be a bad ground wire). Have had it back for 3 weeks now with no more problems, and i just can’t stop grinning when i drive, or even look at it. The feeling on the gas pedal is that it is just waiting to gallop at the slightest extra pressure.

As that old Cadillac commercial said “when you turn the vehicle on, it returns the favor”.

I would recommend going for it. Good luck with your decision!

I agree, I really like mine. A few small problems resolved to my liking by the dealer. But other than that, I enjoy driving mine a lot. Already have 5000 miles on it in the first 4 months. And plan on a 1200 mile road trip for Christmas.

Back