Rotten Egg Smell - Hard Acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rotten Egg Smell - Hard Acceleration

DilltheExplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
We have had a 2020 Explorer XLT for a few weeks now (2.3). For the first time tonight I got on it pretty hard on an on ramp and noticed the burnt hair/rotten egg type smell in the cabin around 20 seconds after the hard acceleration. Climate control was OFF. It went away pretty quickly.

I know the previous generation had terrible issues with this. Anyone else noticing this on the new generation too? This is an XLT with no fake exhaust tips (turn downs under the bumper on the XLT’s).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I experienced a little of that with my XLT. I was upset at first, but it's gotten better. Nothing like the 2015, which I never took in for the fix. This one is just past 4000 miles. But I don't believe it's the exhaust, but actually a catylitic converter smell. I don't know if it was due to being new or if it's gotten cooler outside, that's it's mostly gone. To be safe I got a CO detector and hasn't registered anything when I force the smell (over 5000 rpm) (and I verified the CO detector actually works). The smell is non existent under normal driving and keep it under 4500 rpm. I'm not worried about it. If it comes back next summer I'll turn it in.

Rotten egg is the Cat, not exhaust.

When you rarely accelerate above 4k and then do its common for all the pvc juices to get burnt and cause a smell. Also all new vehicles under 10k miles will have a smell when you get on them hard as the heat levels you will hit will be new to the vehicle.

^ Agree, there are lots of exhaust parts that when new will give off odors the first few times they get up in temp. I commented on this a while back on my ST after some WOT fun.
Post hot rod odors

That’s what I figured. Definitely not really an exhaust fumes type of smell but more burnt hair/something burning off smell. Not too concerned about it just wanted to see if others did it. My mom had a 2014 Escape that did this too after going WOT. The 2.3 surprisingly runs really good in this big suv.

We have had a 2020 Explorer XLT for a few weeks now (2.3). For the first time tonight I got on it pretty hard on an on ramp and noticed the burnt hair/rotten egg type smell in the cabin around 20 seconds after the hard acceleration. Climate control was OFF. It went away pretty quickly.

I know the previous generation had terrible issues with this. Anyone else noticing this on the new generation too? This is an XLT with no fake exhaust tips (turn downs under the bumper on the XLT’s).
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Getting that "rotten egg" smell is not all that unusual with hard acceleration. It is not the same burned exhaust issue. I've noticed it before with other vehicles.

Peter

The orders don't necessary come from the hot exhaust pipes, but also the turbos and heat shields on the body near all the hot exhaust components. As they get hot the first few times there can be some out-gassing. It should mostly go away after a few good heat cycles. Rotten Egg smell is too rich air/fuel ratio through the catalytic converter, a sudden acceleration may cause a momentary rich fueling map to the engine.

My 2018 AWD 3.0, my 2020 2.3 AWD and my 2021 3.3 Limited Hybrid all had/have same oder when standing on them. 2018 and 2020 both in several times with nothing found by service. I have a 2021 escape titanium loaner with 270 miles when i go back to dealer I'll nail it and see if that to has the oder.

Outside temp needs to be above 60 degrees in my experience so if your planning to take it do while it's still warm out. rule out turbos because the 3.3 doesn't have them....I would also characterize the smell as a burnt electrical oder rather than rotten egg.

This is all normal and is simply sulfur buildup burning off inside of the catalytic converter. 100% normal, every vehicle does it. If you romp it every day like myself, you'll never smell it as it never builds up - lol!

This is all normal and is simply sulfur buildup burning off inside of the catalytic converter. 100% normal, every vehicle does it. If you romp it every day like myself, you'll never smell it as it never builds up - lol!
My 2016 Fusion Titanium AWD doesn't do it and I've had that car almost air borne. The odor seems to me anyway to be electrical like a overheated motor or transformer. With the amount air flowing into the engine compartment I would think whatever it is is getting warm within a few seconds.

Nothing should be venting from the engine compartment into the passenger area especially exhaust gases. I'm going with an electrical component...possibily a voltage regulator on alternator or a power steering pump....

I had a service manager with me back in February 2019 nailed it from 0 - 90 no order but as soon as it warmed up the stink was back I dumped that explorer with 12000 miles.

I printed the Lemon Law for Indiana and will leave it on the front seat each time I visit service.

I agree with slow3v. It's normal and has been so for years since they introduced the catalytic convertor back around 1975. I've noticed it a few times over the years but the smell dissipates quickly. I've also had the smell pulled in though the HVAC system from the vehicle ahead of me. That is more common IMO.

Peter

I agree with slow3v. It's normal and has been so for years since they introduced the catalytic convertor back around 1975. I've noticed it a few times over the years but the smell dissipates quickly. I've also had the smell pulled in though the HVAC system from the vehicle ahead of me. That is more common IMO.

Peter
We agree too disagree. to be clear I'm NOT talking about a sulfur smell.

Natural gas and propane are odorless, but gas companies inject them with a chemical called mercaptan that gives them a sulfur smell—like rotten eggs—to alert residents to a gas leak. ... Any time you notice a sulfur smell, suspect a gas leak first.

Back