Parasitic battery drain with lift gate and door open? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parasitic battery drain with lift gate and door open?

GreenStreak

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa City, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer
I was packing my 2017 for a trip and had the lift gate and a door open for around an hour, maybe a little more. All vehicle lights and accessories were turned off during this period.

When I was finished packing it wouldn't start due to a dead battery (but there was still enough power for the headlights, etc... I of course turned those off when trying to start it).

Has anyone experienced parasitic battery drain with this generation when the lift gate and/or door(s) are left open for an extended period even though all accessories are off? When the AAA guy who jumped my Ex told me about this, it seemed far-fetched... but apparently this does happen with other vehicle manufacturers so I'm wondering if that's what happened here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not aware of any such drain and there have not been any previous posts about your particular issue. The 'Battery Saver' feature would turn those lights OFF after 10 minutes if everything is left as is. In any case, if this was true, I wouldn't think an hour should kill the battery.

Peter

I had a similar issue happen a few months ago.
I was flying my RC airplanes out on a dry lakebed here in SoCal and was lucky that the AAA driver came out there 1/2 mile off the pavement to jump start me.
I was confused that I couldn't start my 17 Platinum because IIRC, there is supposed to be a battery saver circuit that prevents the battery from being drawn down to the point where it will no longer have the ability to start the car.
The AAA tech showed me on his computerized battery analyzer that my battery voltage was 8.83v :eek:
The only explanation from my Ford dealer was that the battery must have failed on me. It was only 3 years old, which sadly seems to the norm nowadays.:(
Compared to my previous car, a 2003 Expedition EB, whose original battery lasted almost 7 years, this is indeed sad.

The battery saver circuit isn't in all vehicles, it's in more and more lately for sure. But the typical kind only shuts down the major accessory items after a period of time, regardless of battery voltage. It began in Explorers in the 1993 Limited, and then in 95 more higher option models got it.

Best bet is to always turn off the interior light circuit any time you plan to leave any doors or hatch open for more than a few minutes.

Newer cars will more and more have those kinds of features, and hopefully soon many will shut down power when battery voltage drops below a level, such as 11.5 volts.

You can't turn OFF the interior lights in the 5th gen unless you pull the fuse. This was finally addressed in the 6th gen. The battery saver feature will turn OFF all lights after 10 minutes with the exception of the parking lights. There is also a feature that will turn OFF any plugged in devices when battery voltage reaches a given point.
I've had the liftgate open for over 30 minutes and all the interior lights turned OFF after 10 minutes.

Peter

You can't turn OFF the interior lights in the 5th gen unless you pull the fuse. This was finally addressed in the 6th gen. The battery saver feature will turn OFF all lights after 10 minutes with the exception of the parking lights. There is also a feature that will turn OFF any plugged in devices when battery voltage reaches a given point.
I've had the liftgate open for over 30 minutes and all the interior lights turned OFF after 10 minutes.

Peter
Good details, thanks. I really appreciate the interior light switch on my 2nd gens, and my newest 98 has a flaky switch which needs to be replaced.

The battery saver feature will turn OFF all lights after 10 minutes with the exception of the parking lights.
So let's say I left a door open, and then the interior lights turned off after 10 minutes due to the battery saver feature. If I then closed the door and re-opened it, would the lights stay on another 10 minutes? If repeated over and over, could I drain my battery this way, or is the battery saver smart enough to recognize battery voltage is getting low, and not to bother with things like interior lights?

There is also a feature that will turn OFF any plugged in devices when battery voltage reaches a given point
If the battery voltage stays at or near the fully charged level, do the 12 volt interior accessory outlets ever switch off automatically, even when a key isn't present in the cabin for intelligent access vehicles? I'm wondering because I'm considering getting a CTEK battery maintainer which has an option to plug into the 12 volt interior accessory outlet. However, this connection option requires the outlet to be 'live', so this wouldn't work if the outlet gets shut off when the vehicle is unattended for prolonged periods.

So let's say I left a door open, and then the interior lights turned off after 10 minutes due to the battery saver feature. If I then closed the door and re-opened it, would the lights stay on another 10 minutes? If repeated over and over, could I drain my battery this way, or is the battery saver smart enough to recognize battery voltage is getting low, and not to bother with things like interior lights?
Yes. every interruption in the 10 minute cycle will result in the 'timer' starting over.

If the battery voltage stays at or near the fully charged level, do the 12 volt interior accessory outlets ever switch off automatically, even when a key isn't present in the cabin for intelligent access vehicles? I'm wondering because I'm considering getting a CTEK battery maintainer which has an option to plug into the 12 volt interior accessory outlet. However, this connection option requires the outlet to be 'live', so this wouldn't work if the outlet gets shut off when the vehicle is unattended for prolonged periods.
I believe there is something in the Manual about cut-off voltages. There is also a thread on whether the outlets are always powered.
You can see which if any outlets are 'live' by checking them after a period of time.

Peter

I was packing my 2017 for a trip and had the lift gate and a door open for around an hour, maybe a little more. All vehicle lights and accessories were turned off during this period.

When I was finished packing it wouldn't start due to a dead battery (but there was still enough power for the headlights, etc... I of course turned those off when trying to start it).

Has anyone experienced parasitic battery drain with this generation when the lift gate and/or door(s) are left open for an extended period even though all accessories are off? When the AAA guy who jumped my Ex told me about this, it seemed far-fetched... but apparently this does happen with other vehicle manufacturers so I'm wondering if that's what happened here.
Here this should help. I have been having a issue with my father vehicle. This is beyond annoying. It’s a lift motor issue and it is not that you had it up but it drains all the time and it’s when you go to use it the motor gets hung and won’t allow the tail gate to shut upon closing. Therefore it is constantly trying to activate the module to shut truck and will drain the battery. I hope this helps. I’m in a huge rush and I hope I’m not to late but let me post this link from the NHTSA As well. It’s sad Fire cannot take responsibility for there mistakes and if your out of warranty tough luck, I have found out how tk fiv it and I will update you after doing so. Regards,

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you actually heard it trying to close continually? Does the liftgate bounce back a little when this happens? That is what it should do in this case. While the explanation sounds logical, I have my doubts that this is actually happening and causing the battery drain. Once the vehicle is turned OFF, the gate should no longer be active. Even if it is, the vehicle's Battery Saver Program should cut off the power after 10 minutes. This misalignment of the striker is not a common issue. I believe the last post on this was 10+ years ago. Liftgate striker/latch
BTW, this has nothing to do with the liftgate not closing as in the other 2 threads where you posted. It has to do with the liftgate not latching/locking when it closes.

Peter

I am figuring it out. Thank you for your patience. I’m not sure if you can see my dance report. This is all very new to me buts pretty awesome. Thank you for the knowledge and your patience with me learning,

My 2016 Explorer has started doing the same thing.

My 2016 Explorer has started doing the same thing.
If you leave the doors and liftgate open the Battery Saver Program will turn OFF all lights after 10 minutes. However, if you close and open a door, the timer starts over again. I don't know why there would be any drain on the battery after 10 minutes if everything is left open continuously.

Peter

These cars are so electrically buggy I wouldn’t consider owning one without a good jump pack.

Just watched a Youtube on an Explorer issue.
The battery was draining down overnight, new battery and all.
Traced it to a short to the windshield washer line in the tailgate.
Goes to the rear camera.
Was dripping on a connector causing the short.

I'm not aware of any such drain and there have not been any previous posts about your particular issue. The 'Battery Saver' feature would turn those lights OFF after 10 minutes if everything is left as is. In any case, if this was true, I wouldn't think an hour should kill the battery.

Peter
I have this issue all the time. Today August 2023 my 2018 Ford explorer shut down on the battery save and then I couldn't start the car. Had to have it jumped. This is the third time this has happened. Now I'm going to take it to the Ford dealership find out why. I never had a car where the battery went dead just from leaving doors open and shut and the tail light tailgate door open to vacuum it

I have this issue all the time. Today August 2023 my 2018 Ford explorer shut down on the battery save and then I couldn't start the car. Had to have it jumped. This is the third time this has happened. Now I'm going to take it to the Ford dealership find out why. I never had a car where the battery went dead just from leaving doors open and shut and the tail light tailgate door open to vacuum it
As mentioned before, the Battery Saver Program should shut OFF all lights after 10 minutes. Have you verified that this is happening? If you shut/open a door, the 10 minute timer resets. I've had the liftgate open for more than 30 minutes several times without issues. How old is the battery and have you had it checked lately?

Peter

I have a 2017 ford escape titanium edition. Got it not even a year ago. Within 2 months of having it it was dying on me all the time. And the trunk only opens when it wants to! So brought it in, they said just needed a new battery. Here we are 6 months later trunk still only works when wants to, brand new battery even got the shop to order it new and install it and 6 months later, same issues. Anyone having this problem? My alternator I blv is good. Today have it on charging and it's taking forever to charge the battery up. My front windshield wipers also since I got it don't work on the lowest setting. Only the middle and highest and my lights on mybdrivers door for the auto windows lights flicker every so often.

I have a 2017 ford escape titanium edition. Got it not even a year ago. Within 2 months of having it it was dying on me all the time. And the trunk only opens when it wants to! So brought it in, they said just needed a new battery. Here we are 6 months later trunk still only works when wants to, brand new battery even got the shop to order it new and install it and 6 months later, same issues. Anyone having this problem? My alternator I blv is good. Today have it on charging and it's taking forever to charge the battery up. My front windshield wipers also since I got it don't work on the lowest setting. Only the middle and highest and my lights on mybdrivers door for the auto windows lights flicker every so often.
Welcome to the Explorer Forum Sam. :wave:
I wonder if perhaps you may have a bad ground that is causing the light flickering? That or a loose connection. When the battery was replaced did they do a Battery Management System (BMS) reset? Have you tried posting in a dedicated Ford Escape forum? The one here isn't very active; Ford Escape Forum
When I charge the battery it usually takes about 8 or so hours on normal setting.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back