Automatic Climate Control - Passenger Side Vents Heat Only | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic Climate Control - Passenger Side Vents Heat Only

Sixonemale

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
I did a quick search but could not find an answer. I have a 2015 Explorer and when the climate control is on "auto" and set at any temperature, the drivers side vents blow out the correct temperate air while the passenger side only blows out very hot air. This is happening just a few weeks after they reprogrammed the HVAC module for the exhaust problem recall. Could it be related to the fix? I did find a thread about the blend door actuator on the passenger side, but I'm not getting a clicking noise. I'm struggling on this one and am not sure what is causing the problem, but have thought of three possible causes:
  1. Is it due to the reprogrammed HVAC module for the exhaust problem
  2. Is due to a passenger side malfunctioning blend door actuator
  3. Or should I try a master reset of MFT before anything else
Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I replaced a friend's passenger side actuator and the bad one didn't make a clicking noise that I could hear. Your problem could still be a bad actuator.

I replaced a friend's passenger side actuator and the bad one didn't make a clicking noise that I could hear. Your problem could still be a bad actuator.

Thanks for the response. That helps to know that the actuator can malfunction without it clicking. It appears to be a reasonable DIY job.

To close the loop, it was the passenger door blend actuator that was the source of the problem. Below is a video I watched before replacing it:

The job was relatively easy with the exception of the two white plastic push pins that he glosses over at the very end of the video. Not difficult taking them out, but perhaps if I was about three feet tall with small arms and hands it would have been easier, but at 6'1", not all that user friendly putting those pins back in.

Those pins do suck. When I did my friends actuator, I almost spent more time putting the pins back in bending my body parts in ways only a gymnast should do.

After changing out the actuator behind the glove box I thought I had resolved the problem since cool air was now coming out the passenger side vents. Yesterday I tried different extreme temperature settings and unfortunately now cool air was constantly coming out of the passenger side of the car, even on the highest temperature setting. Using the search tool I found the thread below that helped quite a bit to sort the actuators out and by elimination and location I chose to purchase RH temp blend door actuator shown in the drawing within the thread and number 2 on the list below. Same general procedure to get to it, but the location of the second screw in the back that attaches the actuator was almost impossible to get to. This is clearly not a DIY job for just anyone. You need to have a small ratchet and have to manipulate the black plastic box in the way with a tie strap, etc., or at least that was my approach.

Heater blowing out top vents

1. Defrost/panel/floor mode door actuator
2. RH Temp blend door actuator
3. Air inlet mode door actuator
4. Blower motor
5. Blower motor speed control
6. A/C evaporator discharge air temp sensor
7. LH Temp blend door actuator

In summary, kind of like the water pump, a cheap part, but in a horrible location. I have to imagine this generation of Explorer creates a nice stream of service revenue for the dealerships with its unfriendly maintenance design.

I just had my passenger side blend actuator stop working and thought I would share a tip. This is a tip assuming you don't have a stock of spare actuators in the garage.

Once you have managed to get to the blend actuator, the fresh/recirculate actuator is right in front of you. It is exactly the same actuator.

For a quick fix, set the HVAC to fresh (not recirc), remove the actuator, put it on the blend door instead. You're good to go.

Now while you wait to pickup a spare one, the worst thing is you dont have the recirc function.

Back