Engine squeaky noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine squeaky noise

EXSport 17

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Black 17 EXSport
Hi all,
I've had this squeaky noise come and go but now it happens almost all the time. It seems to happen after engine is warmed up no need to WOT. Can't hear it under load its a very faint squeak. Also how do I add a video? Thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could it be the belt?

Peter

Could be, would a turbo squeak if it’s going out? Also I hear a sound like a supercharger makes, kind of a swoosh.

Aside from the belt, pulleys make a squeal sometimes.

Yeah could be, the sound is so faint. I was hoping someone would know what im hearing and have an idea so I don’t have to take it to the dealership, its the only vehicle I have. Does anyone know how I can upload a video with the sound im hearing. I tried but wasn’t able to. Thx all.

A third issue is a clicking sound from the wheel axle when turning left or right and a rubbing sound in the steering column inside the vehicle. Also 25k on the clock at least it’s still under warranty. Thx again.

I have an 18 Sport and have same noise you speak of. I like to describe it as a real faint windmill squeak. You can only hear it at idle on mine and I have taken it to the deal and the manager and tech could both hear it but said not to worry about it. I’ve never heard a motor make an “unnatural” sound like that and something not be wrong or about to be but I have put over 25k since they told me that and no problem or change in sound or intensity so idk.

I have an 18 Sport and have same noise you speak of. I like to describe it as a real faint windmill squeak. You can only hear it at idle on mine and I have taken it to the deal and the manager and tech could both hear it but said not to worry about it. I’ve never heard a motor make an “unnatural” sound like that and something not be wrong or about to be but I have put over 25k since they told me that and no problem or change in sound or intensity so idk.

I also took it in, dealership also couldn’t hear it. I noticed it makes this sound after driving at least 30 plus miles, no matter if I drive hard or like a granny.

Our Explorer has this same noise, I asked the dealer and they told me is normal and it has not gotten worse and most of the time I do not even notice it. I really only notice it when I am in drive-throughs.

And it seems to come after about 20-30 min of driving and it seems to be coming from the transmission, as the noise is coming from that area and it will have a different sound/pitch while in Neutral, Drive or Reverse.

Although you guys probably have already, make sure you keep the paperwork from the dealers where they state that they hear the noise and it is normal etc... may help you down the road if it actually is a problem

I have a great video of sound if someone can explain to me how to upload it. Thx

I have a great video of sound if someone can explain to me how to upload it. Thx
The best way would be to upload to You Tube and then provide the link in your reply.

Back